General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyhaulers and Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017 | 06:49 AM
sail375
|
3rd Gear
Default Toyhaulers and Motorcycles

Almost every trip we make in our Toy Haulers we take the bike(s). Been through a few toy haulers and motorcycles over the decades. One of the issues that hits everyone who trailers at some point or another is bottoming out at the transition point where ramp meets the bed of the trailer. It became a really serious issue when I bought my 2015 Ultra Classic Low.

So, to solve the issue once and for all. I have put together a modification that seems pretty flexible, is relatively inexpensive, and quite versatile.

It begins at http://www.discountramps.com/motorcy...-ramps/c/2114/ where you can calculate the ramp distance required given the Loading Height, the Wheelbase of the bike being loaded and the Ground Clearance of the Bike. Most Toy Haulers will require about a 10' to 12' total Ramp Length for Motorcycles. The lower the bike ground clearance, the longer the ramp.

The first thing is to purchase a 12" X 12" X 3/16" square piece of aluminum plate stock. 1/4" for bikes heavier than a typical touring bike. A recommended source for the stock aluminum plate is found at https://www.metalsdepot.com/.

Then, cut the stock aluminum plate diagonally into two triangles. Drill three holes, one at each corner of the triangle to accommodate three attachment screws. Finish the plate as desired.

The finished triangle plates are then attached to the corners of the trailer ramp on the frame of the ramp. Common small self tapping screws are sufficient since there is no load on these ramp supports at this point. It is important to position them so they attach to and are aligned with the frame of the trailer ramp.

You will need two 1,000 pound adjustable folding jacks. One for each corner of the ramp. These are through bolted through the above aluminum support plates and the ramp at the corners using 3/8" bolts with large washers and locking style nuts. No need to over torque the bolts. Most of the load will be vertical.

I would recommend a portable folding style aluminum ramp approximately 6' L X 40" W, 1500 pound rated as your ramp extension. A longer one may be advisable for lower bikes, of course.

The support plates can be finished for appearance as desired for the individual application. But, seal all the attachment points of the ramp support plates.

When the trailer ramp is lowered, one or the other jack will usually sit on the ground first. Merely drop the other jack to whatever distance is needed to support both sides of the ramp. Set the ramp extension as needed to the centerline of the bike or the position of the bike inside the trailer, secure the ramp extension with straps, and load her up.

This ends up being a pretty versatile ramp extension system that will accommodate most motorcycles and loading conditions. The transition angles at both the ramp to trailer and the ramp to ramp extension are now adjustable to most conditions by adjusting the height of the jacks.

The total initial cost is about $300 depending on the cost of the portable you select, and takes about an hour to install on the trailer once you have all the materials. Setting up to load or unload afterwards takes about five minutes each way.

When purchasing a new trailer, be sure to keep the portable ramp and, if possible, the folding jacks. The support plate likely will need to stay with the trailer, and leave the bolts for the jacks in the trailer ramp to plug up the holes. If you purchase a new trailer, then your cost is significantly reduced to the cost of new support plates and hardware.

Enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails Toyhaulers and Motorcycles-trailer-ramp.jpg   Toyhaulers and Motorcycles-trailer-ramp-jacks-and-extension.jpg  

Popular Reply

09-22-2017, 09:16 AM
Lotaluck
Tourer

Originally Posted by RHPAW
You guys go through more work and expense than it would be to just ride the bike.
Whatever...Happy trails.
I typically dont respond to these comments but often wonder if you guys have family's (may not be cool to have a family to be a real biker i dont know). To me a toy hauler would seem like a perfect fit for a guy that loves to ride but also enjoys spending time with the family. Wouldent seem right to go on vacation and have the wife drive while i proved my badassness and rode along side.
A toy hauler is definetly in my future. We could go wherever we want and i could have my bike with me when we got there. I dont know mabey im just soft.

Old 09-22-2017 | 06:53 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

That works. Good job.

Old 09-22-2017 | 08:34 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member

Nice. My shovel got stuck on our ramp as it's very low.
>$20 of scrap wood to do the same on ours.
Then double as leveling blocks.

Old 09-22-2017 | 08:50 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member

You guys go through more work and expense than it would be to just ride the bike.
Whatever...Happy trails.

The following 4 users liked this post by RHPAW:
Halojumper (09-22-2017), hdbob2006 (10-05-2018), Redoilokie (09-22-2017), shorelasHD (10-16-2018)
Old 09-22-2017 | 09:16 AM
Lotaluck
Tourer

Whatever...Happy trails.
I typically dont respond to these comments but often wonder if you guys have family's (may not be cool to have a family to be a real biker i dont know). To me a toy hauler would seem like a perfect fit for a guy that loves to ride but also enjoys spending time with the family. Wouldent seem right to go on vacation and have the wife drive while i proved my badassness and rode along side.
A toy hauler is definetly in my future. We could go wherever we want and i could have my bike with me when we got there. I dont know mabey im just soft.

The following 15 users liked this post by Lotaluck:
beanoboy (10-05-2018), BobbyJones (09-23-2017), Dirty Harry (04-17-2018), ew25950 (09-22-2017), FrankEV (10-05-2018), FXDXTSport (10-25-2018), jamala00 (04-16-2018), mjrfd99 (10-26-2017), penmaker (10-16-2018), perki48 (04-15-2018), SASK_RT (09-22-2017), Scudda (04-16-2018), upStomp (10-08-2018), user 7172984932 (09-22-2017), ve9aa (10-05-2018) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-22-2017 | 09:16 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior

Whatever...Happy trails.
it's about being able to take our bikes with us on our camping / Rv'ing trips. Some people just don't get it.
The wife and I have been camping for many years before I got back into riding. After I got the bike we got a toy hauler so we could include the bike in our trips.

Last edited by Rick58; 09-22-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-22-2017 | 09:33 AM
rollonfreebird
Tourer

I just let the door down and ride it in, and it's an ultra classic

Old 09-22-2017 | 10:29 AM
FLHTCUSE KENTUCKY
Tourer
Default Bike Rallies

We take the toy hauler to the rallies. Meet great people and have great times. Most recent rally was Ruidoso, NM. We always raise the front of the rv up enough to get the bike in and out with no problems.

Ruidoso, NM Sept. 2017
Red River, NM 2017

Old 09-22-2017 | 10:31 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lotaluck
I typically dont respond to these comments but often wonder if you guys have family's (may not be cool to have a family to be a real biker i dont know).
Hey, I closed with "Happy Trails".
A motorcycle by nature is inherently not a family vehicle, and I've criss-crossed this country many times camping off the bike, and met the family there. Sometimes I want a shower and bed, so I get a room. Then there's the "medical issues" crowd. It's like it's OK for small doses, but not the whole trip. I can't run marathons or rock climb all the way to the top with this knee, so I don't. "Badass" has nothing to do with it. To some people, the simplicity is it's about the bike, or it's not. I've even interrupted my own trip to help trailer folks when they didn't put their bikes in "Transport Mode", and didn't understand why the batteries were dead on their bikes. You're right, I don't get it.
Good for you if you can mix it all together. Just seems like a lot of bother to get to do something you supposedly can't live without. Do you lock the family in the trailer when you go out riding?
Yeah, yeah...I know. Flame away.

Last edited by RHPAW; 09-22-2017 at 10:37 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RHPAW:
HenryT (04-17-2018), Hey Man (10-08-2018), Redoilokie (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017 | 11:50 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLHTCUSE KENTUCKY
We always raise the front of the rv up enough to get the bike in and out with no problems.

Minor differences in how level the toy hauler is, can make major differences in ramp angle.

I know exactly where to park at home to load with no problems...at rallies i can usually tell without even getting out.

If I have to load when it is raining...I will back up to a hill and make the ramp level for easy loading.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (10-10-2018)

Quick Reply: Toyhaulers and Motorcycles