General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyhaulers and Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018 | 05:42 AM
From_Behind
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
I like to go to major bike rallies...the only people who ride in, and stay in a tent...are people who can't afford to do otherwise...flame on.
😂😂😂😂 Whatever helps you sleep at night!

We're contemplating a travel trailer, and the idea of a toy hauler is tempting. But, we both like riding our bikes where we're going. So, we don't know what the heck to do.

Old 10-26-2018 | 06:07 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member

I wish I had a toy hauler. My wife and I camp a few times a year but our camper is just a regular travel trailer type so I don't get to take my bike. If I had it to do over I would buy a toy hauler.
And for those that would give me the "true biker" ****, its my money, my trailer and my bike. Don't like it? Blow me.

Old 10-26-2018 | 06:11 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member

My plan is to retire in 5 1/2 years (earlier if possible) and we will buy a toyhauler and a truck...and hit the road. I'll be here looking for help when that time comes. Enjoy the travel everybody!

Old 10-26-2018 | 06:12 AM
e6fmf
Road Master

Whats that thing on the fire hydrant???

Old 10-26-2018 | 06:22 AM
Mikes145
Road Captain

Originally Posted by From_Behind
😂😂😂😂 Whatever helps you sleep at night!

We're contemplating a travel trailer, and the idea of a toy hauler is tempting. But, we both like riding our bikes where we're going. So, we don't know what the heck to do.

I would vote for the toyhauler. We use our toyhauler mostly for camping without the motorcycle but I wanted one for when I want to bring it. I don't think my wife would want to ride a couple thousand miles but when do travel long distances, we would ride while close to our destination. And, there's plenty of other things you can put in the bike. We haul bicycles and kayaks mostly and everything stays dry. I use to haul the bikes on the back of our previous 5th wheel (non toy hauler) and one trip in the winter ruined the bikes with the salt from the roads. This past weekend, the garage was filled up with decorations for Halloween at a state park.

Old 10-26-2018 | 06:30 AM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by e6fmf
Whats that thing on the fire hydrant???
Sight marker, it is for when backing up the trailer he knows where it is. Can't see those dang things they are out of line of sight.

I used to have a tear drop camper for trips. I miss the darn little thing. I loved taking it to places and camping. My Father in Law has one of those 40ft RVs and it is a blast to stay in. I would love one, but the price tag is huge. I told my wife I want one of those smaller RV (think a sprint) so we can haul our bikes and take the dogs with us on trips. I live in Florida and riding through Florida and Georgia is about much fun as a proctology exam and as pleasant. The trailer is a viable and great option. I do have a problem with trailer queens. I think it stems from the days I showed antique cars. I had a 1950 MG TD that I drove to the shows and many would bring their car in a trailer with zero dust, heck sometimes I wondered if they even ran. Today, I see these big wheel baggers and other custom bikes with small tanks that make the tank on my sporty look like a touring tank and wonder if they even ride to the dealership on Saturdays.

Old 10-26-2018 | 06:54 AM
Old Sport
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

Interesting read. For me, I am seriously considering a trailer in my future - likely sooner than later...

I look forward to exploring other parts of the country and I'm happy to spend all day in the saddle doing so, just not much of a fan sitting on the interstate tooling-along to get from where I am to where I wanna be.

Last edited by Old Sport; 10-26-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-26-2018 | 08:19 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default My thoughts

I believe that no matter how you get there than that is a good thing. A couple of times I camped out with friends. I like sitting around the camp fire talking about bikes & boats or what ever floats you. Cooking out civilized requires more than what you can bring on a bike. Yes, I have been surrounded (TET 1968) and the C-Rads & heat tabs were the best as we did not eat for 6 days, so ya, depending on your point of view you can make due. Hanging with (new/old) friends can be one of the most important thing on these ventures.

I thought about what I need so I built my own toy hauler that can also act as a Lab (primary). I started with a Featherlight Car Hauler (24'X8.5 wide). It does have a beaver tail and is no drama getting in. I built everything to be on wheels so I take what I need. It does have everything I would need except for a indoor kitchen. I have 2) EZ Up 10X10 tents that are very useful for anything you want it to be. No curtains, walls, or pictures on the wall. 1" insulation all around except for the floor. 60 gal of water, inside shower with a water heater, and a shower pan that tilts out of the way for transport, a pair of Jack-knife RV couches not bolted down, The bed is a Queen air bed: LINK Frontgate Check it out. Do not forget a security bar to chain motorcycles and with the EZ Up you have a garage. The Natures head does not require plumbing but I do not use it for defecation. Enough time on this.

PS 8.5 MPG Diesel.

Old 10-26-2018 | 12:37 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
I like to go to major bike rallies...the only people who ride in, and stay in a tent...are people who can't afford to do otherwise...flame on.

Besides...I can't get a weeks worth of clothes, food, beer and a bed and bathroom on my bike ...

This is in line a Hogrock
I also like to go to bike rallies and sometimes I even attend them towing a pop-up camper via my motorcycle. Pulled my Aspen Sentry camper a few times to Hogrock.
A pop-up camper is a great option for people that enjoy camping, but rather not sleep on the ground. The other advantage to towing a pop-up camper is that most state campgrounds consider it a tent, so the fees are considerably less compared to what a RV'er pays. Also most bike rallies will NOT charge you anything extra when you tow one behind your motorcycle.

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
I can ride a motorcycle from Knoxville TN to Sturgis in less time than a person can tow a trailer there leaving from the same spot. I have proved that to friends more than once, its 1500 miles from my house. Takes them two to three days to haul a 40 foot toyhauler out there.
While in general I believe you, I'd imagine this really depends on the weather. I'm like you and have ridden numerous 800+ mile days to get to a destination. But, my progress is drastically slowed down due to bad weather or poor visibility. Multiple people in a car/truck driving can take turns at the wheel and even make pretty good time driving through the night. As I'm getting older, I feel less and less safe riding in the evenings or throughout the night.

Old 10-26-2018 | 12:42 PM
From_Behind
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Mikes145
I would vote for the toyhauler. We use our toyhauler mostly for camping without the motorcycle but I wanted one for when I want to bring it. I don't think my wife would want to ride a couple thousand miles but when do travel long distances, we would ride while close to our destination. And, there's plenty of other things you can put in the bike. We haul bicycles and kayaks mostly and everything stays dry. I use to haul the bikes on the back of our previous 5th wheel (non toy hauler) and one trip in the winter ruined the bikes with the salt from the roads. This past weekend, the garage was filled up with decorations for Halloween at a state park.
I totally understand. My OL enjoys riding on the long trips, so that's not an issue. We'd probably only bring an RV on long trips if we had somebody else to drive it. Which then makes it silly.

Quick Reply: Toyhaulers and Motorcycles