General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyhaulers and Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018 | 01:52 PM
hdman6
Tourer

I bought a Raptor. It has a beaver tail so i never get hung up. I have a 2012 flhtcuse7. I had a 08 ultra before that. Anyone thats looking should look for the beaver tail for loading. I bought my raptor for family camping rip and also to use on bike trips along with my wife who cant ride for more that 1.5 hours at a time due to back issues. I also have taken it out to sturgis a few times with friends and that makes the cost the rally very reasonable. I also tent camp on my bike. Last year I rode out to the Grand Canyon /Utah/Arizona and 1 week in Colorado tent camping on a solo trip (about 7k miles) So i understand what you all are talking about. I just like having the option. Next year Im riding out to sturgis tent camping onto Yellowstone then down to Colorado overall 25 day trip wit a few others. Those types of trips are the best. free and no ties to one place.
But i still have a use for my toy Hauler. We are going to Gettysburg this week for 4 days (no bike trip) so its used as just a rv this time.

Old 10-08-2018 | 03:13 PM
vankaye
Cruiser

Love my new toy hauler. Get to take the dirt bikes and the harley and have total and complete riding vacations without leaving any bikes at home! Good problems to have!!

Old 10-16-2018 | 02:28 PM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master

Looks like some might nice rigs.

Love my toyhauler. Wife and I love to travel and ride our Harley's.

Leaving for Smokies in the morning for some days in the mountains. My favorite trip of the year.

Last edited by ROUNDHEAD; 10-16-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-16-2018 | 05:08 PM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Old 10-25-2018 | 12:49 PM
Rathgar
Tourer

I love my toyhaulers for moving with a bike or bikes. Never had an issue with high centering on either of my Electra Glides but I'm sure it happens.
To bad there has to be an *** hat that always has to dog anyone who puts a bike in a trailer. I like others have stated, work construction and if it weren't for a toyhauler I'd have to leave the bike at home. I've been 2000 miles from home for over 2 years at times and I've seen the sad faces of more than one rider who had to leave his at home to travel for work. I also have a Girl that needs to bring her car along but likes to ride and we plan to spend a lot of time traveling in semi retirement traveling for months with the toyhauler with bikes in back.
It's just more innuendo on my part but I think a lot of these riders who say they won't trailer maybe make one big ride every couple years to get a tee shirt and spend the rest of the time they aren't in their moms basement, bar hopping or hanging out at dealerships on Saturdays..

The following users liked this post:
Slingshot383 (10-26-2018)
Old 10-25-2018 | 12:59 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RHPAW
You guys go through more work and expense than it would be to just ride the bike.
Whatever...Happy trails.
OP, great idea with the ramp. RH, also a decent idea; however, my Ultra is incapable of towing my RV.

Old 10-25-2018 | 02:29 PM
show-n-go
Road Master

I ride my bike all over the country, but once my kids get a little bigger we will need to look at either towing it or getting a toy hauler for our family vacations. That way everyone can go but we can still ride while we are there. No reason to look down at anyone that wants to tow their bike, everyone has different circumstances, I was just talking to a guy yesterday about going to Sturgis next year, then as I backed into the ride time to get there realized that I don't have enough vacation time to ride out there and do the rides I want to do while I am there. If I trailer it out there I can do all the rides I want.. So I either need to trailer it out or wait a few years until i have enough vacation time to do it all on the bike.... decisions decisions..

Old 10-25-2018 | 02:35 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member

Which would you prefer:

or

Old 10-25-2018 | 02:43 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by show-n-go
No reason to look down at anyone that wants to tow their bike, everyone has different circumstances, .
I like to go to major bike rallies...the only people who ride in, and stay in a tent...are people who can't afford to do otherwise...flame on.

Besides...I can't get a weeks worth of clothes, food, beer and a bed and bathroom on my bike ...

This is in line a Hogrock

The following users liked this post:
FastHarley (10-26-2018)
Old 10-25-2018 | 10:52 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Rathgar
I love my toyhaulers for moving with a bike or bikes. Never had an issue with high centering on either of my Electra Glides but I'm sure it happens.
To bad there has to be an *** hat that always has to dog anyone who puts a bike in a trailer. I like others have stated, work construction and if it weren't for a toyhauler I'd have to leave the bike at home. I've been 2000 miles from home for over 2 years at times and I've seen the sad faces of more than one rider who had to leave his at home to travel for work. I also have a Girl that needs to bring her car along but likes to ride and we plan to spend a lot of time traveling in semi retirement traveling for months with the toyhauler with bikes in back.
It's just more innuendo on my part but I think a lot of these riders who say they won't trailer maybe make one big ride every couple years to get a tee shirt and spend the rest of the time they aren't in their moms basement, bar hopping or hanging out at dealerships on Saturdays..
I ride mine. You do not have an 18 CVO road glide with 24,000 miles on it by doing one trip every couple years. This year I rode to Sturgis from Knoxville TN, then on to Glacier National Park, then Bearthooth pass. That was a 5200 miles trip in ten days. Four weeks Later my club did our annual trip. From Knoxville out to Tuscon AZ, Organ Pipe National Park, Saguaro National Park, Tombstone, Devils Hwy, then to White Sands National Park, and Carlsbad Caverns National Park. From there to spend a few day in Big Bend National park. 14 days, 6 bikes and 5600 miles. Five couples, my wife rides her own.

When I retire at 65 I plan to get a toyhauler, so I can winter in NM or AZ. But while I am working, 21 days on and 21 off, and my children are grown, I ride.

Originally Posted by show-n-go
I ride my bike all over the country, but once my kids get a little bigger we will need to look at either towing it or getting a toy hauler for our family vacations. That way everyone can go but we can still ride while we are there. No reason to look down at anyone that wants to tow their bike, everyone has different circumstances, I was just talking to a guy yesterday about going to Sturgis next year, then as I backed into the ride time to get there realized that I don't have enough vacation time to ride out there and do the rides I want to do while I am there. If I trailer it out there I can do all the rides I want.. So I either need to trailer it out or wait a few years until i have enough vacation time to do it all on the bike.... decisions decisions..
I can ride a motorcycle from Knoxville TN to Sturgis in less time than a person can tow a trailer there leaving from the same spot. I have proved that to friends more than once, its 1500 miles from my house. Takes them two to three days to haul a 40 foot toyhauler out there. I ride it in a day and a half. This year I left Friday morning for Sturgis. Spent Friday night in Sioux City, had a nice dinner, a couple beers and a cigar. Pulled into The Knuckle Saloon at 11:55 Saturday morning. I rode a bit over 1050 miles the first day.

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
I like to go to major bike rallies...the only people who ride in, and stay in a tent...are people who can't afford to do otherwise...flame on.

Besides...I can't get a weeks worth of clothes, food, beer and a bed and bathroom on my bike ...

This is in line a Hogrock
I am pretty sure, I can afford to do other wise. I can get 8 days of clothes on my bike. I can get a room where I go. I can by beer and what ever when I get there. I go to at least one Major rally a year, some times more. Did Daytona and Sturgis this year. I rode. Did another trip out west on my bike. Have another in Nov to FL planned. I damn sure do not sleep in a Tent. I'm pretty sure I can afford to go to a rally how ever I want. At this point in my wife and my life, we chose to ride because riding is much of the fun, when I retire around 65 years old, I'll get a toyhauler. While I can ride, I'm going to see the USA by motorcycle. 46 states so far.

Quick Reply: Toyhaulers and Motorcycles