General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Wouldn't Take My Check

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 08:36 PM
Russ69
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
...probably most of the guys on this forum do as well ...
Most Harley buyers have a little money or are working hard in a good job, these things ain't cheap.

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
I wrote a check for 21k on my 15 RGs no questions asked. I've never had a check refused for any major purchase. Heck I wrote a 45k check to pay my house off.
Yeah I bought a Dodge Hellcat just up the street a few weeks earlier with a check, not a problem (I'd been saving a long time).

Old 09-21-2017, 08:41 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,031 Likes on 7,308 Posts

My wife has Harley checks! They are really pretty.

The ONLY check we write is for tithes at church! Thank God the church still accepts checks.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:54 PM
tomve
Tourer
Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

Interesting topic...

I'm wondering how many would take a personal check from a buyer in a private party sale on their used Harley? I don't, for me the buyer needs cash or cashier check. Why? because I don't want to get burned with a bounced check, and I don't typically know the buyer (If I did, it would be different). Why should the dealers be any different?

Old 09-21-2017, 09:05 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Now I have to wait while everybody runs their credit cards to buy groceries. Whatever happened to CASH?
I tried to pay cash, then the dealer pointed to the sign. I think it said anything over 10,000 had to be reported to the IRS. He wanted a check to save us both a headache. I always carry 1 check folded up in my wallet, I wrote it and told him it would be good in an hour.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:02 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,694 Likes on 2,121 Posts

Originally Posted by cookiemech
I'm not sure why I'm responding to this, as it's drifting off-topic . . . but

Oddly enough, I have more money than most Americans, because I've been extremely careful with it. I also have money in the market probably earning eight percent, but it is NOT guaranteed. Now if you can show me an investment where I'll earn a GUARANTEED two percent PLUS the income tax I'd pay on the interest for, say, four years (how long are bike loans? I have no idea), then I'll buy in on your logic.

If you buy a car or motorcycle using a loan, most lenders also obligate you to carry full coverage insurance. There's another several hundred dollars a year or more. I don't carry anything but high liability limits. My logic? Minor crash, little or no injuries, I'll cover it. Major crash, minor injuries, I'll say "Oh, well" and cover it. Major crash, death or major injuries, I have much bigger problems than a wrecked bike.

Guess that's why we have choices.
So what you're saying is you're so flush with cash you can afford the depreciation hit not one but on two new bikes ? This doesn't strike me as being "extremely careful with your money".

Old 09-22-2017, 01:45 AM
03fattyaz
Road Master

Received 455 Likes on 224 Posts

Man I can't wait till I have this problem... "hey babe, how should we pay in full OTD for this new Harley...wire transfer, check, credit card or pocket money...?" Maybe some day...

Old 09-22-2017, 03:43 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by rizzo
So what you're saying is you're so flush with cash you can afford the depreciation hit not one but on two new bikes ? This doesn't strike me as being "extremely careful with your money".
Again, drifting on the topic, but what I AM saying is that I worked at a job I hated for nearly 36 years (because I was paid very well for what I did), spent far less than half my disposable income, saved and invested, rarely went out to lunch, never had an expensive vacation, drove old cars and rode old motorcycles until I could pay cash, and retired at 58 with a pension and a healthy 401(k).

This year, after a health scare, I decided that I probably wasn't going to live forever, and bought two new Harleys. It didn't put a dent in my savings . . . Depreciation? If you're owning Harleys, you can't be too concerned about that . . .

OK, so NOW I'm being slightly LESS careful with my money

The following users liked this post:
lh4x4 (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 05:19 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,254 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I was wondering how long it would take until this turned into a chest puffing exhibition about who has money and how they got it.

Very juvenile in my opinion.

The following users liked this post:
cookiemech (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 05:20 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

You're right. I'm sorry.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:00 AM
Fla-kruzen
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer took a post dated check so I could transfer money over. I probably could have written a check in tissue paper. I'm with you, never heard of that before. Go somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Dealer Wouldn't Take My Check