General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Wouldn't Take My Check

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 05:18 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 897 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Now I have to wait while everybody runs their credit cards to buy groceries. Whatever happened to CASH?
I can run my card and sign much faster than some granny can dig for bills and change and the cashier to process it.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:19 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Just got my CCW renewal notice today. They won't take a personal check either. I'll have to get a Cashiers Check or a Money order.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:20 PM
Russ69
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Now I have to wait while everybody runs their credit cards to buy groceries. Whatever happened to CASH?
Cash is cool but when you are buying an expensive item that wad of 100 dollar bills can choke a couple of horses. I think we need to start printing 1000 dollar bills again.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:04 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,618 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ69
Normally they have the new plate and registration sent to the dealer and will hold that hostage until the check clears.
here in missouri you use your old plate or get a new one when you pay sales tax on the bike. after paying sales tax the state will send you a new title with your name on it.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:39 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by From_Behind
What in the heck is a check?
😃

Old 09-21-2017, 06:40 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I have paid with checks for cars, motorcycles and the current house with a regular check. No issue at all. But when I try a CC for the full amount I get refused due to the fees the seller pays. Some have said they would go to X amount. So I pay that amount with the card to get the 2% cash back and the balance with cash.

The only time I use a check is for the major items listed above, cash at restaurants(don't hand my card to anyone), CC for motels, gas, online purchases and retail store items.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:03 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,256 Likes on 6,547 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ69
Cash is cool but when you are buying an expensive item that wad of 100 dollar bills can choke a couple of horses. I think we need to start printing 1000 dollar bills again.
Not to mention that in the case of a new bike or car the dealer has to report the transaction if over 10K in cash.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...dealership-qas

Old 09-21-2017, 07:07 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 268 Posts

A little story about a dealership I worked for. Guy comes in to buy a car. Salesman and customer do the "Sales dance" and come to an agreement on a number for out the door price.
Seems the customer was carrying two cell phones in his pockets. Customer says he wants to write a check for the car, now mind you he looks the part, well dressed, expensive jewelry, blah, blah, blah.
Of course, sales manager wants to call his bank and verify available funds in his account. Not a problem, the customer writes the check and hands it to the salesman, along with his banks' phone number on a piece of paper.

The customer says he is going outside to smoke a cigarette while they verify everything. Sales manager calls the "bank" number that they were given, and the customer answers the burner phone in his pocket and verifies the account and available funds.
They do the paperwork and throw him the keys to his new car. 3 days later they find out they got hosed.

They never took another check after that.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:28 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,076 Likes on 2,037 Posts

Originally Posted by cookiemech
I'm not sure why I'm responding to this, as it's drifting off-topic . . . but

Oddly enough, I have more money than most Americans, because I've been extremely careful with it. I also have money in the market probably earning eight percent, but it is NOT guaranteed. Now if you can show me an investment where I'll earn a GUARANTEED two percent PLUS the income tax I'd pay on the interest for, say, four years (how long are bike loans? I have no idea), then I'll buy in on your logic.

If you buy a car or motorcycle using a loan, most lenders also obligate you to carry full coverage insurance. There's another several hundred dollars a year or more. I don't carry anything but high liability limits. My logic? Minor crash, little or no injuries, I'll cover it. Major crash, minor injuries, I'll say "Oh, well" and cover it. Major crash, death or major injuries, I have much bigger problems than a wrecked bike.

Guess that's why we have choices.
if I paid cash for a 25k plus motorcycle, car, boat or anything I would carry full comp and collision on it. You're saying you don't? So you risk loosing your " investment" just like I do in the market....pretty weak argument there on your part. Guaranteed investment??? Nothing high yield but there's some options out there ..other than that you're Guaranteed death and taxes. I've always found in life that the person who has brag about how much he or she has usually doesn't have much behind the smoke and mirrors they've put up...maybe you have more money than most Americans good for you, probably most of the guys on this forum do as well but in reallity thats not saying much since about 70 percent of all americans have less than 1000 dollars in savings.About 70 percent of motorcycles are financed...not sure there'd be too many bike makers left if they lost 70 percent of their sales. Sorry getting off topic on my post.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:55 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I wrote a check for 21k on my 15 RGs no questions asked. I've never had a check refused for any major purchase. Heck I wrote a 45k check to pay my house off.

Quick Reply: Dealer Wouldn't Take My Check