General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Wouldn't Take My Check

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 09:41 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,879 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
I open a BofA checking account about 3 yrs ago, check #1001 is still in the checkbook.
Let's make sure they are still good. I will PM payee and address information.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:44 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,960 Likes on 11,988 Posts

I am glad to see personal checks written to retail merchants have gone the way of rotary phones. Checkout lines at the stores move much faster now.

The following users liked this post:
Redlegvzv (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 09:49 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,256 Likes on 6,547 Posts

I've been in business over 10 years and have only had one bad check. What sucks is the guy who wrote it I knew well and he killed himself the same day I found out it bounced (coincidence) ?

Old 09-21-2017, 09:54 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,254 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I stopped buying ****. Problem solved.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:06 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,021 Likes on 6,675 Posts

I have an Indy that has a sign...No Checks. He does some head machining for me on occasion. Since I don't know exactly how much it will be when I pick up the work, I give him a check, and he said he has no problem taking one from me.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:06 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 326 Posts

A dealer not taking a check for a bike purchase....I say screw that.

Like most, I don't use checks often. But when putting a down payment on a vehicle, I do so with a check. I've never had an issue doing that. They have a little gizmo these days that can verify the account and the funds available.

For me, if I'm making a major purchase like this, it would seem that trust is a two way street. They run your credit history, and if they approve you for a loan, it just makes sense that they'd take a check for the down payment.

So, faced with a situation where my check is no good, I'd say, "i beg your pardon?" And I'd walk. The purchasing routine is difficult enough without having to run to the bank to get a certified check. If they've been burned before, I get that. But I'm just not willing to deal with an outfit that punishes me for the prior actions of dishonest people.

I reckon if I absolutely, positively had to have THAT vehicle, I'd comply. But, there are plenty of other dealers, plenty of other vehicles. ESPECIALLY for a bike, which is not a needed primary mode of transportation for most people.

hvacgaspiping (09-22-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 10:19 AM
NMfxdf
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

It only takes 1 deal to create a policy. Those dealers that don't except checks at one point or another probably lost. Maybe they lost an entire motorcycle or maybe they lost a large service payment. You/We are being inconvenienced because of a few idiots.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:28 AM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

I own and operate a retail establishment that deals in high-end products (not vehicles) and when you run across a situation like this where the dealer won't accept a personal check for a high dollar purchase, it's because they have been burned by a customer - usually more than once. Don't take it personally.

When a person writes a NSF (insufficient funds) check, its not a criminal offense, its a civil offense that requires civil court to rectify. And because a new motorcycle is outside the limits of Small Claims Court, that means an attorney has to get involved that they have to pay. It's a huge hassle and it takes months to recover the money.

Want to use a credit card? The fees on an AM EX are typically 3 to 3.3%. Offer to pay the fees and I'm sure they will be glad to accept it. Can a customer do a chargeback? Doubtful they would be able to be successful on a face to face transaction with signatures required. Chargebacks are not that easy for disgruntled consumers to prevail.

Not sure what the fuss is all about, unless you are a huge impulse buyer. When I bought my new Road Glide this past March I simply called them up before heading to the dealership and asked for the total. They gave it to me and I stopped by the bank to get a Cashier's Check - took all of 5 minutes. Makes everyone happy, no need to make it difficult.

Alternatively, if you ARE that impulse buyer and have to have it right now and are unprepared, just finance it on the spot and pay it all off when the first bill comes in. There are no penalties, you just have to wait a few weeks for the title - no biggie.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:30 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
A dealer not taking a check for a bike purchase....I say screw that.

Like most, I don't use checks often. But when putting a down payment on a vehicle, I do so with a check. I've never had an issue doing that. They have a little gizmo these days that can verify the account and the funds available.
If it's that gizmo that the reads the MICR ink on the check, it may be processing the transaction like a debit card, money gets tapped right then and there.

I reacall this when the transitions from checks to debit cards was in progress. In many cases they didn't even need you to fill out the check, they just entered the dollar amount, whipped the check thru the scanner and handed it back to you. Instantly cleared.

Now I cringe when someone in line ahead of my whips out he checkbook. For those few places that even accept checks- like grocery stores. And yeah, they always seem to wait till after everything is rung up and packaged before starting to write out the check.

Grrr................

rideflhr (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 10:38 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,884 Likes on 2,422 Posts

The one thing no one mentioned... You write a check, you take the bike you stop payment on the check... Not fun for the dealer..

Quick Reply: Dealer Wouldn't Take My Check