Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Wouldn't Take My Check

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 06:56 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
so you're saying that if I make payments I can't afford a bike??? Lol...I'm surprised that you have any money at all with that logic. I got a bike loan for 2 percent...I keep my 25k in the market earning let's say an easy 8 percent...looks like I'm up 6 percent huh? Oh not to mention it only ads to my already stellar credit rating. Ride on
I'm not sure why I'm responding to this, as it's drifting off-topic . . . but

Oddly enough, I have more money than most Americans, because I've been extremely careful with it. I also have money in the market probably earning eight percent, but it is NOT guaranteed. Now if you can show me an investment where I'll earn a GUARANTEED two percent PLUS the income tax I'd pay on the interest for, say, four years (how long are bike loans? I have no idea), then I'll buy in on your logic.

If you buy a car or motorcycle using a loan, most lenders also obligate you to carry full coverage insurance. There's another several hundred dollars a year or more. I don't carry anything but high liability limits. My logic? Minor crash, little or no injuries, I'll cover it. Major crash, minor injuries, I'll say "Oh, well" and cover it. Major crash, death or major injuries, I have much bigger problems than a wrecked bike.

Guess that's why we have choices.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:03 AM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

I know the 2 dealers here don't do checks . Unless you are local and they know you. When I went from a 2 wheller to a 3 . I used a check for the difference. But had the title in hand. They said they were burned before .

Old 09-21-2017, 07:21 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,634 Likes on 1,179 Posts

Originally Posted by RedNose44
I wanted to use my AmEx to buy my last bike (for the points), but they would not let me because of the processing fee. I am surprised they gave you that option.
If you call AMEX and let them know, the dealer will be talking about the good old days when they could accept that card.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 09-21-2017, 07:29 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Dealership took my check for my CVO.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:43 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,878 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
If you call AMEX and let them know, the dealer will be talking about the good old days when they could accept that card.
Knowing nothing of merchant agreements with credit card issuers I looked to see if a merchant can limit an amount. First thing that popped up indicates they can....

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/...customers.html

Edit: Since AmEx was specifically mentioned I want to add it appears their merchant agreement says if you impose a max it must be on all cards you accept and that will pass their requirement as well.

Last edited by OKMICK; 09-21-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:48 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

Merchants are free to accept or not accept whatever types of payment they wish, and they have to live with the fallout of their policies. Many businesses will not accept checks anymore, but I've yet to have any check I've presented for a deposit or down payment for a major purchase be turned away.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:09 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,256 Likes on 6,547 Posts

In June I bought a 2017 F250 Super Duty. I gave the dealer a bank draft drawn from Navy Federal Credit Union and they said "no". I was ready to pull the plug on a 60K+ deal and they explained that they only accept "cashiers checks" not bank drafts. The dealer has been in business at the same location since 1957 so they obviously have more experience in buying and selling cars than me but it seemed kind of odd. Policies are policies and you either play by the rules or walk.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:19 AM
riff raff
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Dealership took my check for RGS a couple of months ago. Though they did have that dealie where they run the check through a scanner of some sort that immediately cashed it on the spot so no risk to them.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:22 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,634 Likes on 1,179 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Knowing nothing of merchant agreements with credit card issuers I looked to see if a merchant can limit an amount. First thing that popped up indicates they can....

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/...customers.html

Edit: Since AmEx was specifically mentioned I want to add it appears their merchant agreement says if you impose a max it must be on all cards you accept and that will pass their requirement as well.
I read the original post to mean that they refused the AMEX because of it's higher processing fees.... maybe I read to much into it.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Old 09-21-2017, 08:38 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,880 Likes on 2,418 Posts

Every dealer here wont take a check for anything other than the deposit. My shop will not take a check from a customer either..

Quick Reply: Dealer Wouldn't Take My Check