Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Wouldn't Take My Check

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 04:23 PM
tomve
Tourer
Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch

using your logic, why should the grocery store be any different? why should the local hardware store be any different? why should the local power company be any different? see how that works?
My logic was based on what the original thread was started about. That is purchasing a bike. I think there is a big difference (risk) for the sellers between writing a check for $20k +/- $5k bike vs writing a check for a dozen eggs & 1/2 gal of milk, etc. (my .02)

btw I don't write a check for groceries, hardware store, or my utility bill. I like the convenience of using a Debit card that is linked to my checking account.

Last edited by tomve; 09-22-2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-22-2017, 05:16 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,835 Likes on 8,589 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I tried to buy a car on my credit card. They refused. When I asked why, they said that I could drive it for a week or two, run it into a tree, then call the CC company and dispute the charge. They didn't want the potential hassle.

While I understand the logic, I can't imagine anybody actually trying that.
I can. There are those kind of people who will do anything to scam anybody.

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Most bikes and cars I just sign on the dotted line and drive away. I negotiate the terms I want with nothing down. Payments and interest rate are what I want and first payment is usually 30 days away minimum.
That`s what I did on the car I just bought last week. Simple. No hassle, and the financial manager was my SIL, so I got a good deal in the process.

Originally Posted by ronaldrwl
Maybe it's your credit score. Did they run a score check?
I think any car or motorcycle business will always look at that when they check you out.

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
The one thing no one mentioned... You write a check, you take the bike you stop payment on the check... Not fun for the dealer..
, And a "stop payment" can also open up another can of worms, like small claims court and possibly lawyers fees.

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Mike ... If you were selling your car would take a check from me ?? :>)
, and one from Nigeria too?

Originally Posted by nfe
Shoot, I went to a local Papa Murphy's to buy $43 in pizzas; yup, had the kiddo's friends over!; anyway they wouldn't take a $50 bill!! I have to go across the street to CASH a $50 to pay a $43 bill..

Now that's un-American!

-NFE

p.s. Paying with check on an automobile/cycle isn't difficult, the dealership doesn't have to process the title until the check clears. However, with many places, they HAVE been burned. I have a friend that ONLY uses checks. He'll drive 15 minutes for smokes because of it as well! And there is a store 2 blocks away, but won't take checks!
That not taking a $50 bill for $43 of purchase is so ignorant! I would have left the steaming boxes of pizzas on the counter and gone somewhere else. That one has GOT to take the plaster medal.

Originally Posted by From_Behind
I can run my card and sign much faster than some granny can dig for bills and change and the cashier to process it.
, And my chip card is even faster. No hassle.

Originally Posted by IronAss
Just got my CCW renewal notice today. They won't take a personal check either. I'll have to get a Cashiers Check or a Money order.
They took my debit card when I bought my CCW renewal.

Originally Posted by Bestrafen
A little story about a dealership I worked for. Guy comes in to buy a car. Salesman and customer do the "Sales dance" and come to an agreement on a number for out the door price.
Seems the customer was carrying two cell phones in his pockets. Customer says he wants to write a check for the car, now mind you he looks the part, well dressed, expensive jewelry, blah, blah, blah.
Of course, sales manager wants to call his bank and verify available funds in his account. Not a problem, the customer writes the check and hands it to the salesman, along with his banks' phone number on a piece of paper.

The customer says he is going outside to smoke a cigarette while they verify everything. Sales manager calls the "bank" number that they were given, and the customer answers the burner phone in his pocket and verifies the account and available funds.
They do the paperwork and throw him the keys to his new car. 3 days later they find out they got hosed.

They never took another check after that.
Dealer should have verified all of the routing/account#s and looked up the bank`s phone # in the first place.

Originally Posted by 03fattyaz
Man I can't wait till I have this problem... "hey babe, how should we pay in full OTD for this new Harley...wire transfer, check, credit card or pocket money...?" Maybe some day...
`Not ashamed to admit that would NEVER happen to me.

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
You knew it would .... just like the comment earlier about writing a check for his new house ... Maybe, but why be so arrogant as to point this out ... On the other hand the house may be "new to him" ...

Yep, home sweet home.

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Isn't there some legal thing about a legal business, accepting cash over $10,000 for a purchase of anything?.,,
Only that it has to be reported to the IRS.

Originally Posted by RedNose44
Hmmm, the last boat I sold the buyer pulled the money out of the safe in his house (6 figures). I turned around and used that cash to buy a car at a dealership. I was never contacted about where I got the cash.
You won`t be contacted, but it will be recorded by the IRS. That could be a red flag for an audit though.

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
That wasn't the part that got me. You own outright 2 new Harleys, and you don't carry full coverage, because theft doesn't happen where you live?
To say nothing of an uninsured motorist T-boning you.

Originally Posted by cookiemech
Oh, no . . . I was going to stop responding to this thread, because apparently I'm puffing my chest, or something like that (and if you knew me, you'd know that's not me at all . . .)

No, I do NOT do my part to support insurance companies. I subscribe to the philosophy "If you can afford the loss, don't insure". I cannot (comfortably) afford the loss of my house, so it is properly insured. Theft of Harleys is not especially likely here, particularly in my locked garage. I do not park them anywhere at night. I ride a lot, but don't stop all that much.

Yes, someone could steal one of them. Or both of them. I would be very unhappy with that, but it wouldn't kill me financially.

The flip side of this is that I've done this for almost all the years I've owned cars and motorcycles (1976) and the ONLY loss I've suffered was when someone broke into my 1981 Volvo and damaged it. Cost me $400 out of pocket. Considering the thousands of dollars I would have spent on insurance coverage on the MANY vehicles I've owned since then, I've come out WAY ahead. Pretty sure I could replace my 2017 RGU with the money I didn't spend.

You could be right. My garage might burn to the ground tonight . . . Hope not.
Let`s hope you don`t get slapped with personal liability suit from an accident that`s proven to be your fault.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-23-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:35 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,065 Likes on 3,631 Posts

I put a bottle of bourbon on my credit card last week, 24% interest, They wouldn't take a check. Damn good bourbon.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:40 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,344 Likes on 2,529 Posts

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
Let`s hope you don`t get slapped with personal liability suit from an accident that`s proven to be your fault.
I would imagine that he has personal liability insurance on the bike, just not comp/collision. are there any states that don't require it?

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I put a bottle of bourbon on my credit card last week, 24% interest, They wouldn't take a check. Damn good bourbon.
doesn't your credit card company give you a grace period? I know on mine, I've got the rest of the billing cycle, then the bill is cut, and no interest is charged unless I don't pay the balance off in full by the next statement cycle date.

Last edited by skratch; 09-22-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:06 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
I would imagine that he has personal liability insurance on the bike, just not comp/collision. are there any states that don't require it?

doesn't your credit card company give you a grace period? I know on mine, I've got the rest of the billing cycle, then the bill is cut, and no interest is charged unless I don't pay the balance off in full by the next statement cycle date.
It was a $72 bottle, not sure I can pay it all this month.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:14 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaux
Same on last bike my buddy bought .............. Watching them count out $28K cash on the finance officers desk was a hoot. Amazing since personal checks can be verified instantly.
Yes and no. It's not that simple.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:13 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Might split it up in 3 payments so the price of the bottle will be actually higher than $72

Old 09-23-2017, 09:38 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,771 Likes on 982 Posts

A couple years ago when I went to PA DMV to get my moto learner's permit, they had a big sign - NO CASH - NO CREDIT CARDS. I couldn't believe it. I had to drive 40 minute round trip to my bank to get a check! I couldn't believe a state office wouldn't accept cash.