General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Wouldn't Take My Check

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 01:13 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

Isn't there some legal thing about a legal business, accepting cash over $10,000 for a purchase of anything?.,,

Old 09-22-2017, 01:16 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 897 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Isn't there some legal thing about a legal business, accepting cash over $10,000 for a purchase of anything?.,,
Yeah, somebody posted that above.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:42 PM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,395 Likes on 954 Posts

If I was dealership owner and someone whipped out their check book I'd close the deal, put them in my car, drive them to the bank and we'd walk out with a bag full of cash. THEN they could ring that stupid bell or whatever else they do in dealerships.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:04 PM
rick-e-b
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cookiemech
If they won't take my check, they don't get my business.

Bought a 2017 Road King in early June, walked in, wrote a check, rode it home same day.

Liked it so much I bought a 2017 Road Glide Ultra in August. Same thing. Wrote a check, rode it home.

Just how would I buy it without a check? Wire transfer? I don't make payments; never have and never will. That would imply that I couldn't afford the bike, which is a luxury, not a necessity.
I agree. I have financed. In 1981 I bought a new Honda 750 and financed it. Since then if I can't afford it I don't buy it. Same with cars. Save your money before you want one and the bank pay you interest instead of the other way around. When it comes to negotiating, money talks and BS walks! On my current bike a 2012 Roadglide. I made an offer on it and the dealer would not bite on my offer. I made it again the following week, same offer. I left and 4 weeks later the dealer called and said if the offer was still good I could come by and pick up the bike.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:09 PM
rick-e-b
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
They can and will still accept cash. However, they must report it to the Federal Gvt. Uncle Sam is worried you may be spending drug money of otherwise illegally gained and untaxed. If you are pulling it out of a savings account for the purpose of a big purchase the bank will report it and the dealer will report it abut there is a trail of legitimacy. No problem!

Old 09-22-2017, 02:19 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I bought a new car and a new bike in the last year for my retirement presents. I wish they would have let me use credits cards for almost $80k worth of points but but had a max of $5k on both which I did. I actually financed the bike so I could ride it home that day, as I didn't have $32k in my wallet or checking. I paid it off a month later. I paid with a personal check for the balance on the car because I had to wait 2 months for it to be delivered and had time to transfer money around. That is the only check I have written in a LONG time.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:34 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,084 Likes on 2,601 Posts

Originally Posted by rick-e-b
They can and will still accept cash. However, they must report it to the Federal Gvt. Uncle Sam is worried you may be spending drug money of otherwise illegally gained and untaxed. If you are pulling it out of a savings account for the purpose of a big purchase the bank will report it and the dealer will report it abut there is a trail of legitimacy. No problem!
Hmmm, the last boat I sold the buyer pulled the money out of the safe in his house (6 figures). I turned around and used that cash to buy a car at a dealership. I was never contacted about where I got the cash.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:02 PM
Mikerunsjax
Road Master
Received 324 Likes on 238 Posts

I was out of town and forgot my phone charger. Found one at a kiosk in the mall, and they wouldn't take cash. I was told that's becoming common.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:09 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,954 Likes on 5,918 Posts

Originally Posted by cookiemech
Again, drifting on the topic, but what I AM saying is that I worked at a job I hated for nearly 36 years (because I was paid very well for what I did), spent far less than half my disposable income, saved and invested, rarely went out to lunch, never had an expensive vacation, drove old cars and rode old motorcycles until I could pay cash, and retired at 58 with a pension and a healthy 401(k).

This year, after a health scare, I decided that I probably wasn't going to live forever, and bought two new Harleys. It didn't put a dent in my savings . . . Depreciation? If you're owning Harleys, you can't be too concerned about that . . .

OK, so NOW I'm being slightly LESS careful with my money
That wasn't the part that got me. You own outright 2 new Harleys, and you don't carry full coverage, because theft doesn't happen where you live?

Old 09-22-2017, 03:19 PM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Oh, no . . . I was going to stop responding to this thread, because apparently I'm puffing my chest, or something like that (and if you knew me, you'd know that's not me at all . . .)

No, I do NOT do my part to support insurance companies. I subscribe to the philosophy "If you can afford the loss, don't insure". I cannot (comfortably) afford the loss of my house, so it is properly insured. Theft of Harleys is not especially likely here, particularly in my locked garage. I do not park them anywhere at night. I ride a lot, but don't stop all that much.

Yes, someone could steal one of them. Or both of them. I would be very unhappy with that, but it wouldn't kill me financially.

The flip side of this is that I've done this for almost all the years I've owned cars and motorcycles (1976) and the ONLY loss I've suffered was when someone broke into my 1981 Volvo and damaged it. Cost me $400 out of pocket. Considering the thousands of dollars I would have spent on insurance coverage on the MANY vehicles I've owned since then, I've come out WAY ahead. Pretty sure I could replace my 2017 RGU with the money I didn't spend.

You could be right. My garage might burn to the ground tonight . . . Hope not.

The following users liked this post:
lh4x4 (09-22-2017)

Quick Reply: Dealer Wouldn't Take My Check