General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SO PISSED at Harley right now....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 01:58 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by RedNose44
This is what I would worry about if I tried to match the paint on my current CVO. The metallic flake in the paint looks like different colors from different angles. I am sure that would not be easy to match.
Yes. Joe at Xtemediminsion painted my tourpak to match my bike. The indigo ink metallic from HD has a purple tint to it when viewed from the side in the direct sunlight. My TP has a black tint when viewed from the side. But straight on it looks great. More than likely no one would notice if they didn’t happen to be studying it in the sun. My point being as good as Joe is and the high cost of his work, it’s still not as easy to match some of the CVO paint as many would like to believe. Just gotta be prepared to accept that going in.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:07 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by jbfb
I thought I was done with this thread till I read this. Really, this is your argument?
GM, Ford, etc. really only paint from the factory and not at the dealers to the best of my knowledge but have NEVER told a body shop that they couldn't paint an aftermarket fender or bumper (often required by less than stellar insurance companies) a genuine GM or Ford or etc color. PLEASE if anyone has ever had a car company refuse to allow a body shop the right to paint a part of a car a factory color, let me know, I'd LOVE to hear the story!
He isn't going to a body shop. He's going to the place that exclusively does the factory painting on CVO's for HD. In other words, he's going to the HD paint booth to get his aftermarket part painted. I didn't say a body shop couldn't paint a non-GM part. I said the factory won't. HD is refusing to let their CVO paint booth paint a non-CVO part and the HD paint booth just happens to be the shop he is trying to get to do it. As I said in my first post, he can take it to a good body shop and get it done but he can't get it done at the one and only shop that does the CVO painting for HD. They have a contract.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:29 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

If you remove all the painted CVO parts off and any specialty items (emblems), what you have left can be ordered everyday thru your dealer out of the catelog and not even have to give your name or VIN. So when HD sells only so many CVOs that have custom paint and charge a good amount for that feature, they have every right to protect their customers investment.

The following users liked this post:
lh4x4 (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 02:35 PM
triumph900
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Theyre probably trying to prevent that abortion of a circus wheel from being installed on a CVO.
Winner, winner...

deadhawg (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 02:52 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,076 Likes on 2,037 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
I know Gunslinger as they are just 10 miles up the road from me. Gunslingers use to paint custom bikes but now has an exclusive agreement with HD to paint all of their CVO tins.
They are running 3 shifts 7 days a week to keep up with demand
If you can work out something under the table with Gunslingers, I'd be happy to have you ship it to me & I'll run it over there in person
that's very nice of you to offer to help the op out...but I doubt in a million years that gunslinger will risk their contract, that apparently has them pretty busy, to go against hd and paint a 500 dollar fender.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:26 PM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 772 Likes on 369 Posts

I'd much rather have a custom paint job than the CVO stuff anyway.

Crazy (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 04:55 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,128 Likes on 3,660 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Close yes but not always right on even with the right code. Being in the restoration business I can say for a fact that the camera that scans for a code gets it right sometimes, mainly a solid colour but not a metallic. A reputable body shop (even the best) can't perform magic and what one person sees as a match Ill see as wrong a mile away because its my business. We're repainting an original paint car now because we can't get a match on painting one quarter on one side and a door and fender on the other due to an unfortunate mishap at the owners house. We can get a match to the original single stage if we paint the repaired panels in 2 stage but can't get a match with the original process. Customer doesn't want base-clear here and single stage there, I don't blame him so it gets a full repaint in single stage like original. At least it'll be all one colour.

Another factor is how many coats of base are applied? You can see the primer through the paint if you know what you're actually seeing and primer colour is often used to alter the finished product you think is paint colour. If you use complete hiding as your method of paint application which could be 5 coats of base vs 2 then the end result is different with the same product, comes down to the painter and material thickness plus choice of primer. My new F150 has .004" of material over the aluminum which I measured with a digital gauge, that includes primer! My original paint dodge prior to that had .007" which was typical on most cars but .004" is crazy thin but imagine how much ford is saving on paint cost.
Understood and yes but since it's a separate piece with a little bit of distance to other painted pieces 95% close could pass couldn't it?

Old 09-21-2017, 08:32 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
All of HD paint is PPG - it's just a matter of getting the right codes and getting the CVO paint codes is tough but not impossible - I found the codes for my Candy Concord paint which they used for their 2010 CVO's
​​​​​​​Yes, I believe you're correct about PPG paint.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:19 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,498 Likes on 2,708 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Understood and yes but since it's a separate piece with a little bit of distance to other painted pieces 95% close could pass couldn't it?

Maybe but Im not sure what his bike looks like. If there's a fairing right near it. I don't even know what colour his bike is (he might've mentioned it). Like anything else today, painting is no longer simple and the formula's keep changing as the government introduces new emission requirements, health and safety safety requirements, bans specific ingredients and so on. So as time goes on it'll make paint matching more difficult in my opinion.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:26 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,127 Likes on 5,827 Posts

A lot of CVO paint is candy paint...so it is hard to match even if you have the correct paint...more art than skill