General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tar Snakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 02:17 PM
nb472
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Tar Snakes

Out riding a few days ago on some unfamilar roads and came into a tight curve a little hot. Leaned into the corner and hit a set of perpendicular tar lines spaced about 3 ft. apart. WOW, what a spooky feeling. I could feel the bike move on each line. Scared the crap outt'a me. Only around 75 degrees. Has anyone ever lost it on these tar snakes?

Old 06-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Tar Snakes

Not yet![:@] They are spooky in hot weather and rain. Yes, the government recognizes the potential hazard to motorcyclists; do they care, NO.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:25 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

They can kinda melt when it is hot and I too have felt a loss of traction momentarily on them. I find that a stickier tire does help, but may not alleviate the problem althogether.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:39 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

I've got nothing good to say abouth them little bastards. Last year had the *** end kick out on me when I was on the brakes going into a turn on a 90* day. Just comes with the territory, but I still hate'm.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Wcross
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't lost it on them, but close. There's a stretch of Rt.11 where those friggin' things go on for MILES.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:13 PM
cadillac
Road Master

You guys would HATE riding here in Iowa then. They are everywhere. One road I take a lot has soooo many of those, it makes me a little dizzy when I drive that 4-5 miles. Ill have to stop and take a pic of that soon and post for you to see.

bob

Old 06-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first time I ever encountered them and noticed any adverse effects on handling was on the road east of the Buffalo Chip in Sturgis two years ago. It sure gives the bike a squirrely feel that I had never felt in 30 years of riding before that. Another thing I encountered on that trip was about 15 miles of new pavement going to the top of Monarch Pass in Colorado. It wasn't hot at that altitude, but the sun was baking the fresh pavement and it was lifting the oil out of it and making the surface of the road slimy. The bike slipped in the oil a couple of times. In both cases I just slowed down and was fine.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:47 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tar snake?

Old 06-12-2007, 04:12 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't like em when they're wet, don't like em when they're hot, don't like em when they're fresh.

Haven't lost it yet but have had the bike move on me. Seems like they are most commonly found in curves.

Last weekend found a new twist on tar snakes. This was fresh tar running perpendicular to the road that was three feet wide to fill a crack an inch or so wide. DOT lays the wide swath down then comes back and fills the crack with sand and small aggregate, lays some more tar and lets it set. Guess they needed to make sure they did not miss any of the crack.

Did I mention I don't like em?[:@]

Old 06-12-2007, 04:21 PM
ladyglide
Elite HDF Member

the first time my rear tire slipped on one of those, I thought I was a gonner []. What a strange feeling, then I caught traction again, almost immediatly, that felt weird too, good, but weird.

one more vote for the "hate-'em" catagory [:@]

Quick Reply: Tar Snakes