General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tar Snakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 05:41 PM
ladyglide
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tar Snakes

Hey Jerry, if it weren't for the totally diff. scenery, I'ld swear I've seen that road up here

The one I dislike the most, has alot of those snakes, as well as deep unfilled cracks running parallel to the road, thru almost every curve.
It was a beautiful backroad, leading up to a very scenic Hatcher's Pass, AK. Then last fall, the severe floodingin the Susitna river basin, musta really tore up the road surface, cause when I took a ride thru there, I swore, never again [][:'(]. At least until it's repaved or sumpin'.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:59 PM
ut_vols_fan
Road Captain

I HATE them things!!! Bad enough that it affects traction, but it also throws up little spits of tar all over my scoot [:@][:@][:@]

Here in Delaware, we've also got a LOT of compression ridges going across the main roads that scare the $hit outta ya when you hit them unsuspectingly [:@][:@][:@]

Old 06-12-2007, 07:14 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: DirtyDave

They are as much fun as a cattle grate on a curve!
Nope, riding on a wet cattle guard is about the same as riding on ice !!!

Old 06-12-2007, 07:55 PM
TJB50
Tourer

ORIGINAL: middleman

I had my first encounter with snake tar this past weekend in Cincinatti. It was 90* and I'mcoming arounda curve 2-up with Tbag full.The backendkicked out. Istraightened the bike best I could and struggled to keep it on the pavement. I wish I had read this post before that. I didn't know they were slick in heat/rain.
I had the same thing happen to me last summer in WNY when it was hot and the wife and I were on a poker run. Almost highsided, but finally got it under control. Boy was I p.o. afterwards!

Old 06-12-2007, 07:58 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those things are nasty! We have way to many here in central NY[&:]

But worse is the gravel that get out on the corners here in some of our nice twisties. [:@]

Old 06-12-2007, 08:02 PM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh man..we have those on a twisty road I used to frequent around here. It's a real mess..very sloppy and all over the place - especially in the curves. NC DOT doesn't seem to care.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:07 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: celtlion

Oh man..we have those on a twisty road I used to frequent around here. It's a real mess..very sloppy and all over the place - especially in the curves. NC DOT doesn't seem to care.
Sounds like NY DOT [&:]

Old 06-12-2007, 08:07 PM
2BKFXDL
Road Master

My best friend went down recently due to the superior intelligence exhibited by the DOT in the state he was riding in and the ability of the DOT in that state not to give a $hit about bikers or road safety in general.

Bitter you ask...????

Damn right I am.......locally there are cracks and craters that are enough to take the front end out from under a bike if hit the wrong way. I live here and have learned for the most part where those dangers are. Bikers passing through or those unaware are in for it though. Well spent tax$ if you ask me.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:39 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Actually the purpose of the tar snakes you are talking about is called crack sealing. It seals the cracks in the roadway to keep moisture from getting between the asphalt and the road base which causes poholes and ruts. I don't like them either but it is better than potholes and ruts.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:45 PM
sl3slinger
Banned

yeah i hate those damn things, they just did the route i take to work with them. but what i hate more is uneven pavement

Quick Reply: Tar Snakes