General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson sucks d---

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 07:10 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,138 Likes on 2,682 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen-of-Clubs
They sell girlfriends at the Reno HD?
And to think my wife got pissed last time I bought a new set of pipes...

Old 09-13-2017, 07:26 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by dDavid
While I get the sentiment of your argument, it sounds a bit....working class heroish. It's kind of the same complaint made against people who board their horses vs. people who Have their own stables.
I'm working class. Sue me. I have no business owning a Harley on a teacher's salary, I guess. I hear it just about every time I'm out on my bike: I must be super wealthy because I own a Harley, or I must have spent more to buy my bike than I would have on a car, etc, etc. In fact, I make less than $35k a year - take home - and I don't even own a car. Bragging? No. Wish I could afford to buy 3 bikes in a year, like the kid above, but what a lot of people don't seem to understand is that these bikes were once more of symbol of the working man, until the wealthy, for whatever reason, started wanting to play badass working class rebel on weekends and the MoCo started marketing that image to the wealthy...

It's understandable why people have the serious misconceptions about owning H-D that they do, but there are still people who just love and own (or would like to own) Harley-Davidson motorcycles for their historic legacy and for the simplicity they once symbolized...but mostly, just to ride.

The following users liked this post:
Chris2fur (11-30-2019)
Old 09-13-2017, 07:33 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,138 Likes on 2,682 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
there are still people who just love and own (or would like to own) Harley-Davidson motorcycles for their historic legacy and for the simplicity they once symbolized...but mostly, just to ride.
That right there is why I bought one.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:39 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

I think it was in 71 or 72 my uncle bought a new bagger. He made good money. Hell we
rode any **** box we could find parts for beg borrow or steal. Money has always bought the
upper line and always will. wealth is usually worked for over time. I never hated over wealth or what someone has. It can always be worse.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:55 PM
dDavid
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
what a lot of people don't seem to understand is that these bikes were once more of symbol of the working man, until the wealthy, for whatever reason, started wanting to play badass working class rebel on weekends and the MoCo started marketing that image to the wealthy...
So you're saying it's kind of a two-wheeled gentrification? Naw, I don't think a brand new top end Harley was ever affordable to the hoi polloi. Most bikers bought used or wrenched together their bikes, and they didn't begrudge those who could afford a new top of the line one. 20k now was 6k then was 2k before, but it was never easily attainable.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:24 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

So you're saying it's kind of a two-wheeled gentrification? Naw, I don't think a brand new top end Harley was ever affordable to the hoi polloi. Most bikers bought used or wrenched together their bikes, and they didn't begrudge those who could afford a new top of the line one. 20k now was 6k then was 2k before, but it was never easily attainable.
Nor do I (I take the bad with the good and there is plenty of both in all eras).

Nor was it for me.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:31 PM
Russ69
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

In the very early days, motorcycles cost a lot of money. Very few could afford them. Wealthy sportsman were the key demographic. It wasn't until the model T came out that people could afford gas powered transportation. If you are going to rewind history, you need to show that the times and market changes, there is nothing wrong with that as long as we have bikes to ride.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:39 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,406 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Originally Posted by Mycvo
The 85 k was for the past two bikes that I bought
Sorry. I wouldn't tie up that in 2 bikes. The more extras - the more to go wrong.
Your salesman wouldn't be PT Barnum would he?

Old 09-13-2017, 08:52 PM
UncleDuckjob
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a Honda, and writing lessons.

- Ducky. 💀

Old 09-13-2017, 10:03 PM
PSU
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Cliff notes?

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson sucks d---