General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer run around

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 02:29 PM
roadrage12
Intermediate
Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dealer run around

So after reading Zakk13's thread on his new bike buying experience I thought I would share some recent events talking with different dealers in 4 different states.
After I got back from Sturgis I thought I would feel out the market for any leftover new 17's, especially when the 18's came out. I never deal locally with my dealership on a new bike since I was burned back in 2007. My current bike I went to Montana for and made, what I thought, was a hell of deal, trade and all. I since have been happy with my 2012 Limited.
So I started sending out emails and leaving messages at dealerships in Wyoming, Idaho and Montana on any 2017's they had left and what they would deal, specifically on Roadglide Ultra's and possible Limited's.
Talk about running the gambit. Everyone was all over the place on pricing and trade in's. Two dealers I didn't even callback after they offered me 10k for my bike.
One dealer in Western Montana held my interest because I found they had two new 2016 Roadglide's still on their floor. Now granted I had a thought as to why they haven't been sold this late with the 18's out, but hell I thought they would deal on those better that the new models. I figured even with the old 103 if I got a good deal it might be worth it. So the salesman calls me back and says good news my manager wants them gone I'll let you have one of them for 25K. 25K are you kidding me! I told him the bike is two model years old and I just got dead air on the phone. That conversation ended fast. My reasoning was another dealership told me they had an Ultra classic they would let go for 23K, and it was a 17. Not the model or color I want, but still.
I read about the dealers on here and can't believe how they act and justify some of the pricing. I love my Harley's, all I've owned, but I'm starting to worry about the business model. With what's going on with the MOCO and declining sales you would think someone would want to make a sale. I'm not asking for them to not make a profit, or even just a couple hundred, but some of these guys are seriously running a game.
I told the wife I think the deal I got on my Limited may be the best I ever make on a new one, but it still wasn't a total steal or loss for that dealer. I wish I could understand dealerships

The following 5 users liked this post by roadrage12:
cloud9 (09-06-2017), G'day (09-10-2017), rideflhr (09-07-2017), TenMidgets (09-08-2017), Zakk13 (09-10-2017)

Top Answer

09-06-2017, 07:29 PM
captbob
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Having sold airplanes and other products in a past life, as a dealer, I would not be interested in somebody playing "pokerino" where someone I don't know is trolling around the Internet for a deal. Man or woman up, go to the dealerships near where you live with a checkbook or a pre-approved bank loan limit and negotiate face-to-face.

You have to ask yourself why a dealer in another State with local customers that support them would simply offer you deals comparable or better than their local customer base? However, if you walk in with cash or pre-approved financing and have your trade-in with you, then you have the basis for serious negotiations. I personally wouldn't offer some Internet troll a deal because it does not make good business sense. What is their incentive to blow something out and possibly wrecking their business model with no assurance that you are for real? Show up to your local Harley dealers (show them some support and respect and they will return the favor) and do some wheeling and dealing. Whining on the Internet and using the shotgun approach ain't gonna get you a great deal!

Last edited by captbob; 09-06-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:34 PM
katanaplanet
Banned
Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

As long as there are people shopping for monthly payment, the dealers will continue to play this game.

The following 2 users liked this post by katanaplanet:
Tired (09-06-2017), Uncle Larry (09-07-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 02:36 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

I purchase garage queens. Let someone else take the hit.

The following 4 users liked this post by Honey-Badger:
aecs (09-09-2017), awilson40 (09-06-2017), Beaux (09-10-2017), crazytown (09-08-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 02:42 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

Yep as much as I would like a 17 or maybe even an 18 I am tired of the dealer BS. No different than trying to buy a car. I am in the market for a good used bike now and feel I can do better one on one with the current owner than a dealer.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:19 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 984 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Honey-Badger
I purchase garage queens. Let someone else take the hit.
Yeah, this is what folk say that can't afford a new one............

The following users liked this post:
jgos929 (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 07:21 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by not a sock
Yeah, this is what folk say that can't afford a new one............
It is not a matter of affording, but one of refusing to be taken advantage of. I don't need anything so badly I am willing to be fleece to get it.

The following 15 users liked this post by Mr.Softy:
10 RED RK (09-07-2017), aecs (09-09-2017), awilson40 (09-06-2017), Carl '69 (09-10-2017), Cosmic Razorback (09-09-2017), crazytown (09-08-2017), fsae0607 (09-07-2017), Honey-Badger (09-06-2017), jamala00 (09-06-2017), perki48 (09-08-2017), Recan (09-07-2017), rideflhr (09-07-2017), sleighcrane (09-09-2017), TenMidgets (09-08-2017), Uncle Larry (09-07-2017) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-06-2017, 07:29 PM
captbob
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Having sold airplanes and other products in a past life, as a dealer, I would not be interested in somebody playing "pokerino" where someone I don't know is trolling around the Internet for a deal. Man or woman up, go to the dealerships near where you live with a checkbook or a pre-approved bank loan limit and negotiate face-to-face.

You have to ask yourself why a dealer in another State with local customers that support them would simply offer you deals comparable or better than their local customer base? However, if you walk in with cash or pre-approved financing and have your trade-in with you, then you have the basis for serious negotiations. I personally wouldn't offer some Internet troll a deal because it does not make good business sense. What is their incentive to blow something out and possibly wrecking their business model with no assurance that you are for real? Show up to your local Harley dealers (show them some support and respect and they will return the favor) and do some wheeling and dealing. Whining on the Internet and using the shotgun approach ain't gonna get you a great deal!

Last edited by captbob; 09-06-2017 at 07:32 PM.
The following 11 users liked this post by captbob:
1HOTTrain (09-10-2017), 2ROWDY (09-07-2017), Dan D. (09-09-2017), dkleiner (09-10-2017), jgos929 (09-06-2017), lh4x4 (09-06-2017), mrmarklin (09-10-2017), Northernproducer (09-09-2017), RK4ME (09-07-2017), ronaldrwl (09-07-2017), triumph900 (09-09-2017) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-06-2017, 07:44 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by captbob

Boy howdy, this is spot on. I've bought and sold many dozens of vehicles over the years, and not one of those transactions have occurred over the phone or on the World Wide Web.

If you're serious, and wanna be taken seriously, get out from behind the keyboard and make a face visit!

​​​​​​​Great info!

The following 2 users liked this post by Veekness:
captbob (09-07-2017), jgos929 (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 07:51 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,717 Likes on 2,776 Posts

Originally Posted by captbob

I would have to disagree in some regard. I have not tried another state, but I also do NOT go into a dealer (bike or auto) until I have negotiated a price via email. You don't want to deal with me via e-mail, no worries, I'll go somewhere else. I don't want to spend MY time sitting haggling at a dealer. I can do that from the comfort of my own home, and I can email multiple dealers at one time. Cash is Cash... The last car I bought '15 Impala I went 3 hours to the dealer to pick it up... AFTER the price was negotiated over email/phone. I honestly don't get the whole "cash" thing anyway. I mean in the end, either you write the dealer a check, or the bank does. Why would the dealer care? I think sometimes the dealer gets a kick back when you finance via HD or GM, etc... I think some would rather you financed... I write a check, but I don't the they truly care. ( I could be wrong)

Originally Posted by Veekness
Boy howdy, this is spot on. I've bought and sold many dozens of vehicles over the years, and not one of those transactions have occurred over the phone or on the World Wide Web.

If you're serious, and wanna be taken seriously, get out from behind the keyboard and make a face visit!

​​​​​​​Great info!
Naaa, to each his own. I don't go into the dealer to "deal face to face"... No reason to. Phone/Keyboard work just as good. If I am emailing a dealer and say, you give me this product for X price, I'll be in on X day and write you a check... What's the difference, just because you go in you are in a better position? What you are not able to walk out? I'm able to walk... What does going in have to do with being serious about the purchase?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-10-2017 at 01:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jamala00:
TenMidgets (09-08-2017), YammyDrummer (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 08:00 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
I would have to disagree in some regard. I have not tried another state, but I also do NOT go into a dealer (bike or auto) until I have negotiated a price via email. You don't want to deal with me via e-mail, no worries, I'll go somewhere else. I don't want to spend MY time sitting haggling at a dealer. I can do that from the comfort of my own home, and I can email multiple dealers at one time. Cash is Cash... The last car I bought '15 Impala I went 3 hours to the dealer to pick it up... AFTER the price was negotiated over email/phone. I honestly don't get the whole "cash" thing anyway. I mean in the end, either you write the dealer a check, or the bank does. Why would the dealer care? I think sometimes the dealer gets a kick back when you finance via HD or GM, etc... I think some would rather you financed... I write a check, but I don't the they truly care. ( I could be wrong)
I believe you to be very correct about the dealer getting spiff from financing companies.

​​​​​​​I will.part company with you on the Internet issue, based upon the information you quoted. If I have to spend forty or fifty hours a week on a sales floor, I'll spend them with people who aren't too lazy to come to see me and dicker. But I understand your point...

Quick Reply: Dealer run around