General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I take my HD with denim paint to regular self service car wash and clean it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017 | 07:03 AM
Burbur2
|
Grand HDF Member
Default Can I take my HD with denim paint to regular self service car wash and clean it?

Hi Everyone
Got my Softail Slim last week with denim finish and I am reading all these stories about how to take care of this new denim finish. Now I know no polishing is allowed and members recommend specific products for paint for upkeep

So here is my question. Can I take this bike to "normal" car wash and simply cool it down, spray water on it, use foaming brush put some foam on this finish scrab it with big brush, rinse it, dry and ride home (I guess no wax spraying???)

I am not clean maniac but like the idea of getting on this cleaning bays one in a while and gently clean my ride for 10 min and go home but now with this denim paint......

Old 09-03-2017 | 07:09 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

I wouldn't...have you ever seen some of the "monster mudders" that roll through those bays...?? There's all kinds of scratch-creating residue left behind.

It's a motorcycle and shouldn't take more than 10-minutes w/hose & bucket to wash. For me it's more satisfying to sit at home & wash bike w/nice cold beverage while giving my ride some well deserved TLC.

Old 09-03-2017 | 07:17 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

High pressure (direct) spray is not your (or your bike's) friend, especially near electrical components or wheel bearings!

I have used the self-serve spray washes (especially when I'm on the road) but I only spray my bike at an angle, then after wiping it down, I use the low-pressure "spot free" rinse.

I'd also avoid using their "brush" as it may have too much sand or perhaps even gravel in it that could scratch your paint or your windshield.

I try to carry a couple of old wash towels in my saddlebags for such uses but if you're traveling, most motels will either give or loan you old towels to wash your bike.

On my last trip, the biggest issue was bugs on my windshield.
I had my old wash towels so I'd use one of those (with motel shampoo) and warm water to "soften" the bugs and then a couple of rinses, my windshield looked clean and new!

Old 09-03-2017 | 07:28 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Spot test with some Simple Green Aircraft, spray on cleaner. The stuff is superior to other spray on / rinse off cleaners like S100 and will clean your grungy bike to "detail ready" using only a spray bottle and your garden hose. This would be safer than a car wash and, at the end of the day, probably cheaper than one too.

Old 09-03-2017 | 07:31 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Just don't get off, and you'll be just fine.

The following users liked this post:
81rat (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017 | 07:32 AM
Burbur2
|
Grand HDF Member

Yes I agree on low pressure rinse during whole process. This is always what I do on my Sportster. Good tips on not using "their" brush as well.

What I worry about is damage to denim finish with car wash foam and this is my main concern. Unfortunately this bike (used one 2014) needs deep cleaning and thats the readon I want to go to car wash thing first and after that I definitely plan to have my cold beverage in the garage and clean everything even nicer.

I just dont want to apply carwash foam or shoot soap from nozzle (feom far away) to my denim and find myself in trouble. I believe this is simple soap but I rather ask before than do something stupid.

Old 09-03-2017 | 07:39 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member

you don't know what is in their soap. they could have all sorts of additives or faux waxes they use to up sell people into using their site.

if the bike is that dirty then soaking usually helps loosen debris but high pressure is a no no unless you know exactly what you are aiming at; as in wheel areas are usually fine to blast just avoid the calipers and such.

sometimes a deep clean just requires elbow grease, if you could blast it away you would think the previous owner would have

Old 09-03-2017 | 07:56 AM
Burbur2
|
Grand HDF Member

Good point there. Yes I have no clue in their soap. Does that mean my Sportster days of taking bike for quick spray and go are over? While I enjoy my elbo grease time quite a bit quick wash after long ride is something that was always really convenient. I wonder if anyone with denim paint was just go and spray this finish at car wash and still be ok.

Old 09-03-2017 | 08:37 AM
donk_316
Road Master

Would take my NT to the car wash for years. Zero issues.

although the best way to clean the bike was a microfiber rag and windex.

dont listen to all the naval gazers posting above. You have nothing to worry about.

Old 09-03-2017 | 08:38 AM
riknbeth
Road Master

Originally Posted by Burbur2
Hi Everyone
Got my Softail Slim last week with denim finish and I am reading all these stories about how to take care of this new denim finish. Now I know no polishing is allowed and members recommend specific products for paint for upkeep

So here is my question. Can I take this bike to "normal" car wash and simply cool it down, spray water on it, use foaming brush put some foam on this finish scrab it with big brush, rinse it, dry and ride home (I guess no wax spraying???)

I am not clean maniac but like the idea of getting on this cleaning bays one in a while and gently clean my ride for 10 min and go home but now with this denim paint......
I use a car wash frequently. Have not noticed any issues at all. Using for about a year, maybe once per month. Way faster than a bucket and garden hose and its on my way home from work. Just be careful with the high pressure spray (common sense) and do not rub (hard) the paint to dry. Use a soft cloth and rub very lightly (I get packs from Home Depot). Do not use paper towels, way to rough. Some car washes have hand air blowers for drying, but again common sense, they may not have a filter and can blow debris that will scratch. The HD blower has a filter to prevent that (of course very expensive). Other than a self induced scratch my denim paint is still like brand new (9,234 miles). I love the denim paint, I used to wash my bike twice a week but with Denim I do not notice the dirt as easy so I let it go longer. Good luck!

Last edited by riknbeth; 09-03-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Can I take my HD with denim paint to regular self service car wash and clean it?