General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My take on the 2018's

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017 | 11:57 AM
riknbeth
|
Road Master
Default My take on the 2018's

As many of us, I eagerly await the new model releases. For 2018 I was not impressed, but I am impressed with HD. I got back on two wheels about 5 years ago after being away for 20 years. Was on crotch rockets for 10 years prior to that. I now own two bikes, actually I own one (2017 Ultra Limited) and my wife owns one (2016 fat Boy "S"). Owned a softail prior to my Ultra. Love the bikes.

My take is, Harley is not stupid. Their only goal is to provide value for their shareholders (that's it). They do that by ensuring loyalty from the customer base and getting new riders to buy their product. First was Rushmore, they listened to their loyal customer base and made many great improvements that continue today. Then there was the M8 platform in 2017 on their touring line. Note that vibration could have been 100% eliminated but they only eliminated 70% of the vibration after feedback from existing customers. Now for 2018 we have M8's pretty much across the board. The new "softail" line is dramatically different. No vibration at all from what I have seen online, new frame, much higher power to weight ratio. These changes are dramatic from 2014 through 2018. This plan has probably been in place for many years at Harley, again they are not stupid. Changes to the motor and frame are not trivial and take many years to bring to market. As a side note I bent my frame and saw it stripped down to the bare bones and was stunned at the engineering involved in creating the frame. The tech said the old frame had to be destroyed in a very specific way and sent back to corporate. The only reason they would do this is to protect their IP. Yes some of the 2018's look like some of the old Victories (now dead). This is not an accident. The 2018's are still all Harley, but the Victory owners will now have a smooth very powerful (reliable) machine to buy. The critique of HD vs. victory was always the victory had more power and was lighter. Not anymore. Indian is a whole different story, they all look "old school" with very limited options. The available market for Motorcycles is shrinking and Harley has no interest in making a 4-wheeler... or ATV's. So they have now slowly positioned the company to take more market share of the pie that is left. Good job Harley. I think they did this in a slow deliberate way to minimize the impact to the current customer base. Some will be pissed, but these folks probably would not by a new bike anyway. A difficult line to walk.

I will probably shoot over to the dealer this weekend to check out the new bikes. And like many folks I will likely change my opinion and be a fan of them after seeing them and doing a demo. But we will see. But I can say I have no interest in buying a different bike any time soon.

Lots of haters out there. Not interested in bashing unless you have something helpful to say.

Last edited by riknbeth; 08-30-2017 at 12:08 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by riknbeth:
Mxdad (09-04-2017), Prot (08-30-2017), tennmoto (09-03-2017)
Old 08-30-2017 | 01:38 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member

Being as HD is publicly traded company, and they do have their shareholders to answer to, their ***** are on the line if they fail to satisfy. Probalby one reaon CEO's make the money the do. Out you go if you fail. I work for a similarly size corporation, we are not public but even still, the OWNERS must be satisfied. Damn corporations making a profit and all. How dare they be financially sound. Capitalism is sooooo stoopid. NOT

The following users liked this post:
riknbeth (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017 | 01:44 PM
maverick31210
Road Captain

Despite all the **** talking, I see why they did what they did.

They're evolving and they're giving people what they want. Automotive and moto OEMs spend more on market research than any other industry (my boss used to be an executive at a major auto OEM, not saying it's fact but the source is solid) and they build what people want.

The guys on forums are generally enthusiasts who have their preferences. It's why car forums are full of dudes bitching that they want such and such car with such and such performance but those cars never sell. What does sell....the Prius, Camrys, **** like that.

I'm pretty sure that when the Evo came out people hated it, same with the Shovel, same with the Pan, there will always be the enthusiasts who don't like new stuff but the thing is, most of those guys don't buy new anyway so HD doesn't care.

Again, I see why the did it and I'm sure the bikes are probably better. That said...I don't like them but I don't like anything after the Evo, or anything rubber mounted, or anything injected, or with a rear suspension, or bags, or etc...so why would Harley make a bike for someone who doesn't want new tech when 90% (maybe more) of buyers are waiting for Harley to update their line. It makes sense.

riknbeth (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017 | 02:09 PM
Ultra Pearl
Tourer

I for one like the new changes. I may not buy a new bike anytime soon but it's nice to know the new stuff is out there. If you want the older bikes, there will be plenty of them to buy also.
Funny thing is people complain that Harley doesn't change form year to year yet when they do, people still complain. They say the CVO colors are to wild and busy, when they make them less wild and busy they say they are too drab. Go figure.
Too bad the prices can't come down but I guess change cost money too.

Old 08-30-2017 | 03:20 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Its always damned if you do, damned if you don't. Some people just like to cry, whine, complain and bitch. Its what they do!!!

I like some of what they did for 18, some not so much. Overall I think it's a win.

Mxdad (09-04-2017)
Old 08-30-2017 | 03:45 PM
maverick31210
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
I like some of what they did for 18, some not so much. Overall I think it's a win.
I don't want to beat a dead horse but I still can't figure this one out. I'm not a fanboy of these bikes by any means but I just don't get it.

If Harley's main issue is attracting young buyers, why kill the Dyna? The only bike that young guys bought.

Old 08-30-2017 | 04:10 PM
riknbeth
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by maverick31210
I don't want to beat a dead horse but I still can't figure this one out. I'm not a fanboy of these bikes by any means but I just don't get it.

If Harley's main issue is attracting young buyers, why kill the Dyna? The only bike that young guys bought.
Harley has the data, but my guess is they kept the dyna models that they were selling moved them to the new "softail" platform. Getting specific model sales data is almsost impossible but I believe the street gide is there number one seller followed by the breakout (breakout is very popular in Europe). Just my opinion.

maverick31210 (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017 | 04:11 PM
CyGlide
Road Captain

Originally Posted by maverick31210

Because the new "softail" line out handles and out performs the outgoing dyna and softail. I wish Harley would have renamed the line, because everyone just thinks the Dyna was killed. No, the softail and Dyna were both killed off and redone, it's just that the softail name lived on.

I got to ride a 2018 fatbob with the 114 this morning. That's the most impressive Harley I have ridden. I only got to put a couple miles on it, but power delivery was extremely smooth, the suspension and braking were great.

I had planned on adding a SG or RG to my stable next year, but I'm now thinking about turning my heritage into my "touring" bike and getting a fatbob for a fun run around bike.

maverick31210 (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017 | 04:14 PM
riknbeth
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ultra Pearl
I for one like the new changes. I may not buy a new bike anytime soon but it's nice to know the new stuff is out there. If you want the older bikes, there will be plenty of them to buy also.
Funny thing is people complain that Harley doesn't change form year to year yet when they do, people still complain. They say the CVO colors are to wild and busy, when they make them less wild and busy they say they are too drab. Go figure.
Too bad the prices can't come down but I guess change cost money too.
I expect the price will never come down. HD see's themselves as a premium product (not that I agree). Mercedes price will never drop and the cars are reliable. I know because I have friends who drive them.

Old 08-30-2017 | 04:18 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member

Personally I dont think MoCo gives a crap about attracting Victory riders. Victory was a pest, not really competition. But yes, if a firm is not returning 7% to a share holder youre gonna lose them. (7% is the expected std).. I think HD did this revamp for 2 reasons A) Ease of operation = lower production costs and B) Lower the unit cost while raising prices. Black is cheaper than chrome. No back rests on the Heritage, No heel shifters, 3.5 gallon tanks on big twins.. etc etc etc. Do this for a few thousand bike and you just saved a ton.. Aesthetically I dont even think they targeted metric riders either... Honestly, I dont see any sales advantage..

riknbeth (08-30-2017)

Quick Reply: My take on the 2018's