General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My take on the 2018's

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017 | 04:20 PM
maverick31210
Road Captain

Originally Posted by CyGlide
I wish Harley would have renamed the line, because everyone just thinks the Dyna was killed. No, the softail and Dyna were both killed off and redone, it's just that the softail name lived on.
Thanks for that...that actually answered what I was looking for. You're absolutely correct, they should have just kept the name and sold it as new, redesigned for 2018 Dyna. Even if it ran the same platform as the new Softie, name recognition is huge.

Old 08-30-2017 | 04:22 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by maverick31210
I don't want to beat a dead horse but I still can't figure this one out. I'm not a fanboy of these bikes by any means but I just don't get it.

If Harley's main issue is attracting young buyers, why kill the Dyna? The only bike that young guys bought.
My guess would be that the MoCo didn't feel the the Dyna frame was compatible with the M8 engine & trans. It appears that the '09 FL frame was introduced to eventually accommodate the M8 engine.

What Harley did for 2018 is nowhere near as radical as what BMW did in '95 when they killed the Airheads, eliminated the frame, and basically built the bike off the engine cases.
At least the 2018 Harleys HAVE a frame.

Old 08-30-2017 | 04:27 PM
riknbeth
|
Road Master

I wish Harley would have renamed the line, because everyone just thinks the Dyna was killed. No, the softail and Dyna were both killed off and redone, it's just that the softail name lived on.
I agree. But I am sure that was discussed at length. Maybe killing two lines at the same time was way to risky. Maybe the softail line was just selling better than the Dyna's, who knows.....

Old 08-30-2017 | 04:29 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior

I got to ride a 2018 fatbob with the 114 this morning. That's the most impressive Harley I have ridden. I only got to put a couple miles on it, but power delivery was extremely smooth, the suspension and braking were great.
I rode the 2018 FB also and came out with the exact same thought. The best Harley I have ridden. I can only imagine the Fatbob after it's engine breaks in and a stage1. I really want the gunship colored RG CVO but I may end up with any of the new softails..just depends on the color and after test riding all of them. I already have a good touring bike that I don't want to get rid off.

Old 08-30-2017 | 04:31 PM
riknbeth
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
Personally I dont think MoCo gives a crap about attracting Victory riders. Victory was a pest, not really competition. But yes, if a firm is not returning 7% to a share holder youre gonna lose them. (7% is the expected std).. I think HD did this revamp for 2 reasons A) Ease of operation = lower production costs and B) Lower the unit cost while raising prices. Black is cheaper than chrome. No back rests on the Heritage, No heel shifters, 3.5 gallon tanks on big twins.. etc etc etc. Do this for a few thousand bike and you just saved a ton.. Aesthetically I dont even think they targeted metric riders either... Honestly, I dont see any sales advantage..
Guess we will have to wait and see how it plays out. But I am sure you are right on the production costs. Save $1,000 per bike in manufacturing and raise the prices (even a little) and it turns into a ton of cash for the shareholders, and of course increased gross margin which is a big mover for the stock price.

Old 08-30-2017 | 04:33 PM
riknbeth
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by HD_fan
I rode the 2018 FB also and came out with the exact same thought. The best Harley I have ridden. I can only imagine the Fatbob after it's engine breaks in and a stage1. I really want the gunship colored RG CVO but I may end up with any of the new softails..just depends on the color and after test riding all of them. I already have a good touring bike that I don't want to get rid off.
Sounds like you will be a repeat customer! Nothing wrong with that, so was I. I hope these new bikes do not blow me away......

Old 08-30-2017 | 04:34 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Because the new "softail" line out handles and out performs the outgoing dyna and softail. I wish Harley would have renamed the line, because everyone just thinks the Dyna was killed. No, the softail and Dyna were both killed off and redone, it's just that the softail name lived on.

I got to ride a 2018 fatbob with the 114 this morning. That's the most impressive Harley I have ridden. I only got to put a couple miles on it, but power delivery was extremely smooth, the suspension and braking were great.

I had planned on adding a SG or RG to my stable next year, but I'm now thinking about turning my heritage into my "touring" bike and getting a fatbob for a fun run around bike.
I agree with you to a certain extent. But the Softail line lives on because they still have the look of a Hardtail and they have a shock that's hidden which is what a Softail has always been. Doesn't matter where the Shock is as long as you cant see it.

Old 09-03-2017 | 07:11 AM
riknbeth
|
Road Master

Well, went and checked out the 2018 line. Did not do a demo ride. Bikes look better in person, I like the new Fat Boy, but my wife does not. She likes her 2016 Fat Boy, she thinks her bike is more "old school". Spent about an hour. Not going to buy one this year.... Note that the new Fat Boy has a feature if at idle and roll the throttle forward the rear cylinder will shut off, keeping your legs nice and cool in heavy traffic. Fires back up at 10 mph. Also the new kickstand is a smart move. Less lean angle makes the bike feel light while checking them out in the showroom (smart) but does lock like the current jiffy stand and keeps the bike stable. More moves for HD toward a feature laden bike. Also the bike is smooth as hell (I did start it). No vibe at all. They will sell many of them, just not to me....

The following users liked this post:
Redlegvzv (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017 | 05:31 PM
Trudger1272
Cruiser

"3.5 gallon tanks on big twins."

This one gets me though. (LOL) My Forty-Eight with a 2.2 gallon tank and no gauge, can be a pain in the ..., depending on what kind of riding I'm doing. It's now one of the main reasons I want to trade up. So I don't even entertain an M8 with a tank under 5 gallons.

Old 09-03-2017 | 06:22 PM
smokingjoe
Road Captain

I was in the market for a smaller bike, just kinda a backup something smaller than my Road Glide but not too small, the heritage seemed to fit and I was hoping the M8 would be in the 2018 models, sure enough it was and my dealer called and said we got you one Joe, come ride it.
So I get down there and see its all blacked out looks like it was premiered not painted, I guess i am old school after all because I wouldnt even ride it.
I hope Harley does well on the 2018 models but I sure wasn't impressed, only Thing I liked about them was they are harley.
joe

Quick Reply: My take on the 2018's