Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD thoughts from a new guy..

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 02:58 PM
UFOFU
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayakguy
I am 41. I am a bit different than you in that I have been a Harley fan for as long as I can remember. As well my first bike was a Harley a couple of decades ago. But I am not brand loyal. In fact I ride a BMW most of the time. But I have a couple of older Harleys that amuse me.

I agree with the lifestyle comments. It is a huge turn off to me. It just isn't a style that guys our age typically would be drawn to. A leather jacket with a gigantic bar and shield...no way. But a Roland Sands with small attention to detail and little to no branding, now that is sexy. We will see the Harley clothing line evolve soon, mark my words.

The Harley groups I don't know about. I have taken a few group rides lately which I almost never do. I am typically the only one not on a Harley. No one cares. In fact there isn't even any of the usual good natured ribbing. I guess these guys just enjoy the riding and really though it sounds strange aren't bike fanatics like I am.

Culture. Now that is hard to pin down. I love the history of the bikes. As cheesy as it sounds it really is one of the few truly American brands and I love it. It is a company out to make money like we all are. But the history of something so iconic belongs to America.

Ultimately everything is cyclical. Guys our age are killing it in the chopper and custom scene right now. They are reviving the true underground culture. Putting together bikes anyway they can with their own hands. My busted knuckles make me smile when I am typing away at a day job. That group of guys and attitude is likely more appealing to folks our age than the Hog chapter.

Me? I don't worry about where I fit in. I just love bikes. All of them! I do what I want to do and ride what I want. That is the beauty of living in Podunk Appalachia, there is no group to belong to.
-Dead on there. When I see the near constant "old school/boomer" initiated slamming of "millennials/younger generation", I have to wonder "are these guys even aware of who is actually keeping these vintage HD, Triumph and Japanese bikes going?". It's young guys. A HUGE part of the vintage chopper/bobber scene is being kept alive by young dudes. They're sort of reliving the 60's/70's culture, but it's coming from a good place, so...rock on I say. I'd go to an event like Born Free over Sturgis any day of the week.

Old 02-23-2020, 05:46 PM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,614 Likes on 4,203 Posts

People use the the term boutique to disparage HD dealerships.

The term is not being used properly.

A boutique is typically small and available to a select exclusive clientele.

HD dealerships are not boutiques.