Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD thoughts from a new guy..

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 10:31 PM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 5,558 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by Herrick
Do guys that old really fall into all the image stuff though? Will a dude who wore non-"biker" clothes all his life just switch his image at that age because he bought a Harley-Davidson? Seems like a teenager thing.
absolutely. My old boss's boss was the President of the company that we worked. Mid/late 40's, married, 2 kids and lived around the corner from me. Our kids went to school together. I'd see him at work, around the neighborhood, and at the kids school. Never a hair out of place, shoes perfectly shined, and looked like he could have been any 40 something in an ad for forbes.

One Saturday morning, I had just finished doing some work to the bike and some buddies were going to come over to go for a ride up to pike's peak. I ran to get some gas, and a guy pulled up on a shiny new roadking, all decked out in brand new Harley leathers. with all the "live to ride" stuff, including the big HOG patch.

then I hear "I knew you rode, but I didn't know you were one of those dirty bikers"

he takes off his helmet and it takes a couple seconds to figure out who it was. We talk for a few minutes and him and his boys met at starbucks (4 miles away) for coffee, and he was heading home. I invite him to join us and he though a 250-300 mile day on his roadking was too much seat time, he had never been out for more than an hour

Old 09-11-2019, 12:44 AM
Herrick
Road Captain
Received 196 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by tehan2
absolutely. My old boss's boss was the President of the company that we worked. Mid/late 40's, married, 2 kids and lived around the corner from me. Our kids went to school together. I'd see him at work, around the neighborhood, and at the kids school. Never a hair out of place, shoes perfectly shined, and looked like he could have been any 40 something in an ad for forbes.

One Saturday morning, I had just finished doing some work to the bike and some buddies were going to come over to go for a ride up to pike's peak. I ran to get some gas, and a guy pulled up on a shiny new roadking, all decked out in brand new Harley leathers. with all the "live to ride" stuff, including the big HOG patch.

then I hear "I knew you rode, but I didn't know you were one of those dirty bikers"

he takes off his helmet and it takes a couple seconds to figure out who it was. We talk for a few minutes and him and his boys met at starbucks (4 miles away) for coffee, and he was heading home. I invite him to join us and he though a 250-300 mile day on his roadking was too much seat time, he had never been out for more than an hour
Wow. To me that's like just getting into some musical genre and dressing up like them. Well whatever. Good for him if he's happy and not doing any harm.

The following users liked this post:
robarosa (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 05:54 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 260 Likes on 162 Posts

Well one thing I can agree for certain is the implication that having a wife and kids take some years off a youthful life ! T R U E !!

Old 09-11-2019, 08:25 AM
DonnieM
Road Captain

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by BLMC
deleted: wound up on wrong thread after hitting submit
You did ressurect a 2 year old post though and sucked me into reading it.

Most comments are just as relevant today as 2 years ago. HD is still looking for the crowd that buys new bikes every couple of years, spends coin on add ons, T's and service.

Some of us never fit into that whole game plan. We still ride older Harleys, wear more event T's than dealer T's and when we aren't wrenching on our own bikes, an Indy is. I am still loyal to Harley, it is all I have ever ridden. I ride when I can and it still puts a smile on my face every time I twist the throttle. To me, the experience of the ride is more important than anything else

Old 09-11-2019, 08:42 AM
upStomp
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I recently (the last 3 years) got back into motorcycles and the biggest turnoff for me with HD has been the dealership experiences. I had a choice between a couple slimy dealerships and 1 inept dealership for my second bike purchase in those 3 years. I went with an Indian dealership.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:06 AM
Rsbenden
Tourer

Received 256 Likes on 126 Posts

Assless chaps,you'll deny em till ya buy em. Look gay af. Hell yes but the first time your freezing your butt off n put on all that pirate leather crap you talked bout you will get it. The look is cause we're staying warm!!
I don't fit in w it either but give folks a chance n you'll find a great bunch of guys n gals just diggin life n lovin their time w friends on their beloved harley-davidsons. Nothin more nothin less,dont look down your nose join in n you will find fast friends that dig bikes,I like em all but love my Evo. The stereotype created by outsiders is just that,dont matter what you ride do the events n ride in packs,it's fun. I don't drink but managed to have a blast last wkend in Geneva OH w several thousand like minded bikers. Participate n you will find were all the same n fear of change or looks keeps that separation alive. Just go do it!!

Old 09-11-2019, 02:03 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by nate-roth
. We live in an "amazon" world now and people just dont care about a fancy, bloated dealer and are really just interested in the actual product.
....... true
.... but AMZN doesn't offer free hot dogs in the pkg lot on Saturdays @ noon, now do they ?
..... nor do they (or their partners) sell $20k-$50k machines that Prime will deliver tomorrow
....... that said, ..... smart move, going w/the Road Glide

Old 09-11-2019, 09:36 PM
jcr1800
Tourer
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I guess i am way out of my league here. I want to say that the only places i read about all the pirate gear and such are on kiddy threads on honda kawasaki and yamaha type forums. Dont know why just seems that way. I have done some runs over the years run be dealers. I have yet to meet any bad guys. In fact have never met anyone who cared what you rode as long as you rode and were safe!! I see the we are in an Amazon world now. Not sure if that was from an older or younger guy. Doesnt matter. We may be. Is it good or bad? I like to be able to walk up and touch the things i am thinking of buying. Dont care if they say they can Amazon it to me or not!!LOL! I still want to sit on , touch or see in perso. Anything i am thinking of buying. Who cares what people wear. Its like anything its money they made if they want to spend a hundred bucks on a t shirt more power to them. I have been riding since before i went overseas in the early 70s. Came back and rode a Kawasaki. Great bike. Rode it from CO to VA. Then in the early 80s had a chance to buy a great sportster that was made by HD after they took over from AMF. Since then never looked back. Have owned 9 HD bikes. Just bought my dream bike that will be my last a 2019 CVO Street Glide. Love it and dont know why i never bit the bullet and bought a CVO earlier. To me i like kicking back and riding as ll day. Its comfort. I cant get that feeling from any other maker. I have yet to meet any bad guys riding HDs no matter how they were dressed. I think if you just say hi youd be surprised. Lastly i may be wrong here but swear some of the stuff i read here seems to be from younger guys. Which is great. At least they are riding. In my era we grew up wsnti g an HD. Still remember my first flose encounter with a buddy who just got back from Vietnam and i knew then i wanted the bike he had. So stop caribg what others ride or wear. Ride stay safe and have fun. Oh and dont kick my *** for huying a way over bbn priced bike!! I know it but love it!!

Old 09-12-2019, 01:15 AM
Herrick
Road Captain
Received 196 Likes on 122 Posts
Talking Fusion?

Originally Posted by jcr1800
I guess i am way out of my league here. I want to say that the only places i read about all the pirate gear and such are on kiddy threads on honda kawasaki and yamaha type forums. Dont know why just seems that way. I have done some runs over the years run be dealers. I have yet to meet any bad guys. In fact have never met anyone who cared what you rode as long as you rode and were safe!! I see the we are in an Amazon world now. Not sure if that was from an older or younger guy. Doesnt matter. We may be. Is it good or bad? I like to be able to walk up and touch the things i am thinking of buying. Dont care if they say they can Amazon it to me or not!!LOL! I still want to sit on , touch or see in perso. Anything i am thinking of buying. Who cares what people wear. Its like anything its money they made if they want to spend a hundred bucks on a t shirt more power to them. I have been riding since before i went overseas in the early 70s. Came back and rode a Kawasaki. Great bike. Rode it from CO to VA. Then in the early 80s had a chance to buy a great sportster that was made by HD after they took over from AMF. Since then never looked back. Have owned 9 HD bikes. Just bought my dream bike that will be my last a 2019 CVO Street Glide. Love it and dont know why i never bit the bullet and bought a CVO earlier. To me i like kicking back and riding as ll day. Its comfort. I cant get that feeling from any other maker. I have yet to meet any bad guys riding HDs no matter how they were dressed. I think if you just say hi youd be surprised. Lastly i may be wrong here but swear some of the stuff i read here seems to be from younger guys. Which is great. At least they are riding. In my era we grew up wsnti g an HD. Still remember my first flose encounter with a buddy who just got back from Vietnam and i knew then i wanted the bike he had. So stop caribg what others ride or wear. Ride stay safe and have fun. Oh and dont kick my *** for huying a way over bbn priced bike!! I know it but love it!!
You drunk, mang? Me too. But yeah I agree with what I think is your main point. Ride what you want to ride. Wear what you want to wear. Spend money on what you want to spend money on.

The following users liked this post:
jcr1800 (02-23-2020)
Old 09-12-2019, 04:10 AM
assiniboine
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5,087 Likes on 3,079 Posts

Why?

This is a good read and cuts to the chase.

https://themotorcycleobsession.com/2...nd-so-popular/

Quick Reply: HD thoughts from a new guy..