Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD thoughts from a new guy..

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 08:55 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,906 Likes on 3,578 Posts

I'm 57 been riding since 17 and owned only Jap bikes until I got my 17 Road King this year. I agree the dealership has fluff I dont need ( like getting my photo taken while ringing an overhead bell when I picked up the bike, REALLY!?) and more clothes than I will ever consider buying. But, not everyone is like me who, just wants to negotiate the best deal I can, pick up the bike and ride. No group rides, no HOG membership, no kumbaya. But there are TONS of those people that really do enjoy the camaraderie, friendships and time they spend kicking around the dealership. And HD has always been about community and providing an experience for their loyal customers. A very cool thing IMO. Most dealerships do a lot for the local community where they exist. heck, my dealership has a pet adoption place come in every once in a while and take over the pre owned bike area so they can adopt out animals. Really cool. Chili cook offs, and all kinds of good stuff that dont care to be bothered with.But again, I'm not everyone and by the numbers, you eventually will put money in the register doing this type of stuff ( which address the concern for overhead) My background is that I was an engine builder for 30 years, so the M8 impresses me because HD has kept the bike old school, yet, delivered a really capable package and it's why I chose 2017 to buy one. As for the cost of a t-shirt. Heck, a Led Zep T shirt made of good material with a quality silk screen print will run you close to 30 bucks. https://www.ae.com/women-aeo-led-zep...yABEgKPLvD_BwE

Last edited by stixvrad; 08-30-2017 at 08:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
danhahn (09-10-2019)
Old 08-30-2017, 09:40 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,703 Likes on 3,090 Posts

OP~ Welcome to the site!

Old 08-30-2017, 11:08 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

OP - Welcome, to the forum AND to the HD world. It's interesting to see an outsiders viewpoint, as it's been many years since some of our viewpoints were as an "outsider".

I believe you'll find - as most of us have - that much of what you perceive of the HD owner's gathering at the dealership events is just an initial perception. MOST of the folks at those events are not "lifestyle" guys, but are closer to you than you think. Most just love to ride. Many are brand-loyal, but that loyalty probably stems from having had more than one HD and fallen in love with each one. Many love to ride in groups, many will not.

Anyway - welcome!

The following 2 users liked this post by QNman:
danhahn (09-10-2019), Rsbenden (09-11-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 10:45 AM
BLMC
Road Captain
Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

deleted: wound up on wrong thread after hitting submit

Last edited by BLMC; 09-10-2019 at 10:58 AM. Reason: wound up on wrong thread
Old 09-10-2019, 12:30 PM
cowboy_fan
Cruiser
Received 85 Likes on 26 Posts

I just bought my first Harley this summer. The dealership I bought it from is a large dealership with lots of employees. Didn’t bother me a bit. Was probably one of the better large purchase experiences I’ve had. I bought my black leather pirate coat that day not to conform or fit in. I bought it because it fit and I liked it. Plus it was on sale. Anytime I have been to the dealership the other “bikers” have always been friendly and actually outgoing. I usually go after work so I’m not all decked out in my pirate gear. The OP evidently has had a different experience but so far my “Harley experience “ has been enjoyable.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:16 PM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 5,558 Likes on 1,246 Posts

"kids" are still buying motorcycles. You see them on the road in every small town and big city across the US. What they're not buying is Harley Davidsons

HDMC is a marketing company. If we're all being honest, just about every major brand makes a better bike than Harley, the difference is the marketing. They sell "nostalgia", they sell the "outlaw image", "badassity", "the open road", "sticking it to the man". And they market that to 35 (and up) white men, typically married, with 2.5 kids and an office job. There's some cross over to other demographics, and not all of us here fit that market, but that's who HDMC is selling to. They want the guy that buys a new bike every 4-5 years, wears all the t-shirts, hats, and buys all the bolt on chrome **** that costs pennies to make in China and is sold for a HD (Hundred Dollars), ideally they pay the service department to put that same cheap chrome **** on their bike.

look at these people....
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...eadership.html

which one of them can bring the next few generations of riders on a Harley? Right now it falls on a 48 year that came from the food industry (cliff bars/plum organics/campbell soup). He's new to HD this year, lets see if can bring some of his "punk rock" past to the marketing team

I'm a 51 year old guy, with 2 teen aged daughters and manage a group of guys, 1/2 of them millennials. Even I can see that the marketing is all wrong. EVEN if the motor company didn't change 1 thing about their currently bike line up, proper marketing would bring new riders to the fold.

And then, if they wanted to do something CRAZY, they could build an actual bike that 18-35's would want to own, and could afford to buy

The following 2 users liked this post by tehan2:
Borgy (09-10-2019), LuvdemBobberz (10-12-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 05:53 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,465 Likes on 2,698 Posts

Originally Posted by tehan2
HDMC is a marketing company. If we're all being honest, just about every major brand makes a better bike than Harley, the difference is the marketing.
"better" is subjective. I prefer the Harley because the percentage of metal parts on my bike is very high. I like that over-built mentality and have no problem paying for what I think is better. No other bike is going to produce the sound a Harley makes which is another one of those better things that appeals to me which has nothing to do with marketing, its two things I can touch, hear and feel.

ole_phart (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 06:23 PM
Maccam26
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by eggwhite93

4) I completely agree with you here and then some. I do however feel like this is starting to change. I see more and more guys and girls on bike (both HD and not) that are not dressed in the black leather pirate gear and I fell like this is going to dwindle in time. One thing that drives me crazy about the "traditional" Harley guys is their attitude towards change. I think one of the reasons that the V-Rod did not do that well and that the Street is not a great seller (here in the states) is the "traditional" HD guys spewing "the V-Rod is not a real Harley, the Street is ***** and is not a real Harley, the Sportster is a girls bike". It really turns new riders away and its just not true. HDs worst enemy to modernization and gaining younger buyers is there own customers and the culture that they curated.
So... I’m a finance guy early 40’s on my 10th Harley (road glide). I wear a full modular shoei, don’t own HD gear and wear safety gear when I ride. Clean cut, no body art. I agree that I don’t and never have shared interest with most HD riders at events. I’m a technology guy but very mechanically inclined also and do all my work on bikes. Point is I’d have more in common with BMW riders but don’t like the feel of those bikes, love my v-twin hd’s. I’ve tried BMW, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki and keep coming back. Now... the v-rod did not do well for many reasons, that seating position is a killer. The sportster I’ve had 4 and it’s a great platform. Finally the Street is a piece of crap sorry to anyone who likes the model but it’s an overpriced Honda rebel, the suspension and fit and finish is terrible. My point is that it’s not that we as Harley customers of old, know what the feel of a Harley should be at the core and when they move away from that even with open mind , I can’t say anything positive about a street other than ok to use for rider intro courses.

Im optimistic on the new « custom » and « street fighter » models though and anxiously hope they are successes
anyways great first post that made me think over my own status as a HD rider

Last edited by Maccam26; 09-10-2019 at 06:27 PM.
BCinCC (02-23-2020)
Old 09-10-2019, 09:35 PM
Herrick
Road Captain
Received 196 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by tehan2
"kids" are still buying motorcycles. You see them on the road in every small town and big city across the US. What they're not buying is Harley Davidsons

HDMC is a marketing company. If we're all being honest, just about every major brand makes a better bike than Harley, the difference is the marketing. They sell "nostalgia", they sell the "outlaw image", "badassity", "the open road", "sticking it to the man". And they market that to 35 (and up) white men, typically married, with 2.5 kids and an office job. There's some cross over to other demographics, and not all of us here fit that market, but that's who HDMC is selling to. They want the guy that buys a new bike every 4-5 years, wears all the t-shirts, hats, and buys all the bolt on chrome **** that costs pennies to make in China and is sold for a HD (Hundred Dollars), ideally they pay the service department to put that same cheap chrome **** on their bike.
Do guys that old really fall into all the image stuff though? Will a dude who wore non-"biker" clothes all his life just switch his image at that age because he bought a Harley-Davidson? Seems like a teenager thing. When I bought my bike I almost cringed when the salesman said he was going to give me a t-shirt. But it was just a plain black t-shirt with Harley Davidson on the front & the dealership's name on the back so I was ok with it.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:07 PM
dkleiner
Cruiser
Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by touchdown
I think your full of your self.
1. That's why they will be out of work>
2. Maybe your right
3. Why do you always see lots bikes at the HD dealers they all don't have to take a ****. Ya t shirts are over priced but fly out of the store.
4. I get were your coming from, but they put on there HD stuff so they look like a biker. Some would say I look like a 1%er may be maybe not, just walk up to them and say Hi I think you would be surprised, may even make a friend.
Ride safe stop trying to change whats worked for the last 120 years.
Is English your first language?

Quick Reply: HD thoughts from a new guy..