Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD thoughts from a new guy..

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 06:24 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,769 Likes on 4,238 Posts

Originally Posted by eggwhite93
I am only giving my opinion based on my experiences. I never protest to "knowing it all".

Guess I was a little harsh there. I wish some of you could have experienced what it was like (good and bad) back in "the day". I think some of you would have fit right in. It was a hell of a lot of fun.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:01 AM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,380 Likes on 808 Posts

Welcome from NC.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:03 AM
Jedz123
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Dude great first POST!!! (coming from another young new guy)

I fit into the "Harley" Persona like a red square peg into a round black hole. But that's ok. I seem to be interjecting my opinions and experience (11 years on a motorcycle) and I get interesting feedback, most of the time.

I really enjoy this forum for the traditionalist think much different then I do so I enjoy reading what other know.

I would love to buy you a beer and talk MC's. There is allot of new and great bikes on the market right now.

I agree about brand loyalty. I love my XG-A but am not sold on one brand. I'll never own a cruiser... At least not for another few decades so the HD brand right now is very unappealing. If they enhance the Street line and make a big displacement Street-Rod (1000 to 1200 cc) then I'll likely wade a little further into the water. I'm way past the point of buying an oil cooled motorcycle (that isn't more then $500 that is).

I love motorcycles, period! Regardless if it's a huge Guzzi flying fortress to a tiny Ninja 25o to a Classic K CB750 to my Street-Rod. They are all cool because motorcycles are just COOL!

Thanks for the great first post! You hit allot of nails on the head!

Last edited by Jedz123; 08-30-2017 at 07:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cobalt07 (02-29-2020)
Old 08-30-2017, 07:19 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,060 Likes on 2,776 Posts

Originally Posted by AJSHOVEL
Guess I was a little harsh there. I wish some of you could have experienced what it was like (good and bad) back in "the day". I think some of you would have fit right in. It was a hell of a lot of fun.
Not sure if I would have been in the circle, or out of it, but either way it looks like it would have been an amazing time to be alive. I've always said I was born about 30 years late. The cars and culture of the 50's, 60's and 70's would have suited me just fine.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:23 AM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Originally Posted by nate-roth

4. HD has done a great job in cultivating its "culture" almost to the point that I don't think its inviting for new riders. When Ive attended functions at my local HD dealerships I see a lot of guys wearing the typical tough guy HD uniform with their vests with the "1%'r" patches. Im a motorcycle guy, I like HD's for the bikes and the mechanical tradition of the product. Like a lot of other motorcyclist's the "biker lifestyle" really has little appeal. When you go to a local car cruise in/show you see all sorts of brands and styles of cars. This is appealing, its fun to talk to the old school muscle car guys, efi muscle car guys, euro car guys,and yes even the japanese car guys. When I go to an HD event it's 99.9% Harley;s and 50% of the guys have bought into the "biker personna" and really dont appear to want to talk to talk to guys like me who are just clean cut, motorcycle enthusiast and that is a shame. Future growth of the HD brand needs to include a shift towards motorcyclist inclusivity. I and many others would go to a lot more "bike nights" at HD dealerships if their were BMW's, Metrics, Euro Bikes, etc. I like motorcycles and am just as interested in talking to someone about a Trumph Rocket 3 or Ducati Multistrada. This would help foster rider growth and get more people exposed to HD offerings outside of the "purists".

Welcome to the forum!

Not trying to be flip or sarcastic, but most who know about HD events are HD riders.

Look at it from the reverse angle...how many HD's do you see at a BMW/Ducati/Sport Bike gathering? Few, if any...right? People with common interests gather at functions together.

HD dealers do not forbid other makes of bikes at their events (I know you did not say they did)...matter of fact, I bet they want more non-HD people to show up and possibly discover what HD has to offer. I mean, why exclude potential first time buyers just to pander to existing owners who are not going to be making any significant purchases?

Old 08-30-2017, 07:58 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,769 Likes on 4,238 Posts

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
Not sure if I would have been in the circle, or out of it, but either way it looks like it would have been an amazing time to be alive. I've always said I was born about 30 years late. The cars and culture of the 50's, 60's and 70's would have suited me just fine.

Sounds like you would have. Full reveal, I caught the tail end of it. I bought my first Harley in the late 70's at age 19. Most of the "Harley crowd" were in their 20's and 30's and you went to the older, experienced Pan and Knuckle guys with your hat in your hand and hoped to be accepted.

Fastty (09-10-2019)
Old 08-30-2017, 07:59 AM
japer1372
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a life long (38 years of riding) motorcycle rider, but bought my first Harley back in 2013, a very lightly used 2009 Softail Custom. I absolutely love my bike!

In the past 5 years I've "accumulated" 3 Harley T-Shirts. That most likely will be the extent of my Harley clothing.

As I said, I absolutely love my Softail Custom, but I did not "buy" into some soft of lifestyle. I own and ride a bike I love, but my bike doesn't own me, or put me into any lifestyle.

I have an acquaintance who has owned several Harley motorcycles over the past 7 or 8 years. When I see him, he's almost always dressed "Harley" from head to toe, all he talks about is his current bike and all the doodads he's added to his bike since I saw him last. I tire of this single subject conversation very quickly.

He bought a bike (well, he's up to his 3rd Harley now) and has cumulatively spent probably $10,000 on add on stuff.....like multiple seats, pipes, tuners, shiny things, grips, pegs and on and on and on. In that same time I have purchased 3 Harley T-Shirts, a small luggage rack, a windshield and larger foot pegs for my wife's comfort. I've probably spent $500 total.

Each rider should do what makes them happy. I'm personally not a joiner, but more of a loner. I love to ride alone, frequently with my wife along, and feel uncomfortable in group rides. My friend loves to ride in groups.

My main point.....to each their own! Chase your own dreams, and don't let "group think", or how others do things determine how YOU live your life. There is room for everyone.

Last edited by japer1372; 08-30-2017 at 08:07 AM.
BCinCC (02-23-2020)
Old 08-30-2017, 08:14 AM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't think I have ever seen a vest full of Harley patches and a 1% diamond patch. And if so that person should make sure they aren't around 1% MC's who have specific layouts for their vests "cuts" and don't usually or maybe even ever include Harley patches. I am in an MC, we are not a 1% club but do follow the MC biker culture and also do not sport Harley patches. I also belong to the local H.O.G. group and have never seen a 1% diamond patch on a vest there. And yes, there are some very nice folks there, and I don't believe they are trying to be hardcore they are just bikers.....as in they have, love, and ride bikes and belong to the H.O.G. riding group to hang out with people of similar interests. Same as book clubs, chess clubs, cooking groups, etc.........

BCinCC (02-23-2020)
Old 08-30-2017, 08:25 AM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

RE: Dressed in Harley garb

Some buy Harley shirts as souvenirs to places they have been. I used to do that but with the price of shirts these days I get the poker chips instead. Some wear a vest because it allows them hold stuff without having to go into their tourpack or saddlebags...phone, cigs, map. Chaps and a leather jacket are for protection from the elements, though some will say they wear ATGATT. Do rags...keeps your scalp from getting sunburned...bandannas keep sweat out of your eyes or keeps your eye protection from buffeting in the wind. Many reasons to wear the gear and it doesn't have to be black leather, but that is what it is mostly offered in. It doesn't have to be HD brand, but that is what is most plentiful and in diverse patterns and colors.

If you are concerned with how other people dress then you are not paying attention to what is most important....your own enjoyment/fulfillment

The following 2 users liked this post by PapaThiele:
danhahn (09-10-2019), mchertel (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 08:33 AM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 772 Likes on 369 Posts

To state the obvious, the OP's post is interesting precisely because he's exactly the kind of guy Harley is trying so hard to attract. People have expended a lot of energy on this forum over the last week attempting to figure out what Harley is going the direction it's going. Most are courteous and interested in the topic, but a few of you guys ought to consider learning listen more and talk less. Because you just managed to provide a textbook example of the kind of stupid attitude which has, for better or worse, become a caricature of "Harley culture."

Get over yourselves already. It's no f'king wonder so many people want nothing to do with Harley.

Last edited by DM426; 08-30-2017 at 08:37 AM.
The following 11 users liked this post by DM426:
Borgy (09-10-2019), CJ250 (02-24-2020), cobalt07 (02-29-2020), dkleiner (09-10-2019), eggwhite93 (08-30-2017), Herbkell (10-12-2019), Herrick (09-10-2019), LightninST (09-10-2019), LuvdemBobberz (10-12-2019), Ripcode (09-12-2019), UFOFU (02-23-2020) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: HD thoughts from a new guy..