General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleysaki...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017 | 01:19 PM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
I'm very happy with my carb and kick starter, and I can actually operate them both. If it weren't for electric start much of the newer generation would have to drive momma's mini van to Applebee's bike night.
Originally Posted by bjewell
You think I cannot "afford it?" You don't know me. And that picture of the old man that's me a year or two ago and I'm 72. I've held up pretty well I think.
Neither of you are potential customers anyway. And that's why they didn't design them to attract you. No offense meant at all, just... one who is happy with his old chop (good for you!), and one who may already be riding his last year (again, no offense... I know this could be my last year too, but statistically, I'll buy another few motorcycles, and most your age will not).

As for them being Harley badged Honda's, well... clearly you haven't ridden a Honda, haven't ridden the new softail, or haven't ridden either. Having ridden both, I can 100% assure you they aren't similar.

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (02-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2017 | 01:21 PM
LXT
Road Master

I have seen the Heritage in person & I cant say I love every change, lean angle is a plus but can be had on any Heritage - The bags I like but if you want to go 2 up for 3 or more days GOOD LUCK their small & do like they are a composite clad bag giving it more rigidity.

the fog light switch is nice & so are a lot of the other improvements - BUT...... offer it with a chrome package too, I like the black out look but not on a Heritage that much. time will tell if it grows on me?????

Old 08-29-2017 | 01:23 PM
Kayakguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by LXT
I have seen the Heritage in person & I cant say I love every change, lean angle is a plus but can be had on any Heritage - The bags I like but if you want to go 2 up for 3 or more days GOOD LUCK their small & do like they are a composite clad bag giving it more rigidity.

the fog light switch is nice & so are a lot of the other improvements - BUT...... offer it with a chrome package too, I like the black out look but not on a Heritage that much. time will tell if it grows on me?????

I will concede to that being a good idea.

I just thought of something else...I couldn't find the preload adjuster and I thought all the new bikes had them.

Old 08-29-2017 | 01:24 PM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by Kayakguy
I will concede to that being a good idea.

I just thought of something else...I couldn't find the preload adjuster and I thought all the new bikes had them.
They all have preload adjustment, but some versions you have to remove the seat to access them.

Old 08-29-2017 | 01:28 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior

Someone needs a Snickers Bar!

Old 08-29-2017 | 01:29 PM
LXT
Road Master

I think the Heritage - you remove the seat, salesman was fielding a lot of questions when I was at the Ashville shop on Sunday.

Old 08-29-2017 | 01:41 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bjewell
Sorry, for the fans of the '18s, well welcome to the new world. The don't look like, feel like or sound like the Harleys I've ridden since forever. Yeah, I'm old so what?

I think Harley will be in deep, deep trouble within three years. Someone here mentioned the "New Coke" fiasco. This looks the same to me... YMMV

"The stiffer and quicker-responding single coil-over shock Softail chassis with improved suspension brings handling up to date. Gone and surely to be lamented by some is the twin-shock Dyna platform, but in a weak economy what counts is price control..." Translation: make it cheap...

Promise me this. Don't ride one of these new Harleys. I did, and now I want a new Harley for the first time in 24 years. I don't even care if the new Heritage Classic has no chrome, I want that bike!!!

By the way, I've ridden Harley exclusively for 29 years and I'm 65.

The following 4 users liked this post by Uncle G.:
ChrisHo (08-30-2017), cvaria (08-29-2017), DuciDay (02-29-2024), Rakthi (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017 | 02:30 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Promise me this. Don't ride one of these new Harleys. I did, and now I want a new Harley for the first time in 24 years. I don't even care if the new Heritage Classic has no chrome, I want that bike!!!

By the way, I've ridden Harley exclusively for 29 years and I'm 65.
they are great... i loved the new fat bob, i refuse to buy new or be first so no buy for me just yet.

so much butt hurt and folks weren't even buying one or are unaffected to begin with. geezer gliders got the m8 last year... how many that bought are here raging? not many, they are all waxing poetic about the m8.

how many geezer gliders are here raging about softails and dynas THAT THEY DON'T EVEN RIDE? why am i referring to geezer glides as geezer glides?

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (02-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2017 | 02:37 PM
Glyder54
Banned

I went to a different dealer today to see if they had a different color of 18 Heritage than the Rustoleum one. Well they didnt. Had the same as other two dealers . Anyway talking with the sales guy with 30 plus years even he said they screwed the pooch this year ecspecialy on the Heritage. He said same as me...sucked the Heritage right out of the Heritage.

Old 08-29-2017 | 02:39 PM
tpitman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Roadrage1996
Interesting post, I want a bigger engine...got it, and sounds as good if not better than my 103, I want better suspension....got it..I want better brakes...got it...I want better looks and color choices....got it..I want better transmission..got it...I want a cheaper Harley...well not so much. I love that we are upgrading and adding better technology. For those that are complaining would you be happy with a kick starter and carb? I bet not!
My first bike had a kickstarter and a carb. Always started. Dead 6v battery? The headlight still worked off the magneto.
My wife told me to keep it when I traded it in on the Sportster 30 years ago, but I figured I'd never ride it. Kind of wish I'd kept it in some ways. Had a lot of fun on that bike.

Quick Reply: Harleysaki...