General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleysaki...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017 | 11:35 AM
jz78817
Road Master

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
Harley survived the last 100+ years making the same old thing, it's what made them the icon they are now. They will never keep the snowflakes happy, they want a metric bike with Harley badges.
don't call people "snowflakes" when you're the one constantly pissing and moaning about things.

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (02-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2017 | 11:48 AM
Puttnik
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jz78817
don't call people "snowflakes" when you're the one constantly pissing and moaning about things.
Have pity. Its his only means of continuing to feel relevant.

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (02-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2017 | 11:55 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by QNman
I'd be very curious to see the source of your data - 66% against, huh?

The good news is, this time next year we'll get to see if those predictions are accurate or not.

No, it's still bitching and moaning. The difference is the older HD crowd is aging out; the younger HD crowd is starting to make enough expendable income to contemplate buying a Harley.

That's the problem - everyone thinks their opinion is the "right" opinion these days.
My opinion is just my opinion but it is the only one that matters when it comes to my purchases. I'm sure most folks feel the same way about their opinions and their purchases.

Um... "swingarm design"? All Harley's have a "swingarm design" these days...
My bad, I should have said traditional swingarm with exposed shocks.

I hope to have a rigid shovel in my garage in the next year or two also! HOWEVER, it will reside NEXT TO my Road Glide. Because I like riding A LOT and taking at least one road trip a year. Right now, I'm riding about 8,000 miles per year, and hoping to increase it next year. At 50, I don't want to ride that many miles on a rigid, or with a shovel. I'm thinking there's more people who agree than disagree with that.
I won't disagree with that. My shovel is parked next to my Evo RK which is what I ride on road trips. I'm in the 60 range and I ride my shovel about 4-5000 miles per year and my Evo about 15,000 per year. I have a couple other bikes I ride a few thousand miles combined.

YMMV.
Originally Posted by QNman
Ah... so not exactly a scientific poll then... My bet is that number is different nationwide.
Nope, nothing scientific just a couple forums and real world observations but they are pretty good indications of what folks think. Usually the crowd in here are more in favor of new changes, I was really surprised to see the poll.

I will say when I showed up in the middle of a Friday last week for the first day of test rides for the 2018, the lot was full, and the lines were long. The part that really grabbed me was the parking lot... MANY Harley's in the lot, of course, but also MANY other bikes.... two crotch rockets, two sport-tourer's, several Jap cruisers, a Victory, and an Indian.

Another part that really grabbed me was - there were almost as many "younger" (<40) riders as there were "older" riders.

Now this observation isn't exactly scientific either, but... I think it represents the goal of HD designers in this new line. It will be interesting to see the sales number this time next year.
I hope the MOCO has a plan B, just in case.

Old 08-29-2017 | 11:56 AM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member

They still haven't recovered from the Mount Gushmore fiasco, sales have been in decline the last 3 years. Of course they will blame it on the economy, like always instead of admitting failure with their designs. It's not the economy, build a bike people like and they will buy it.
I wouldn't say that Rushmore was a failure. Remember, Rushmore was more than just the wethead bikes. The Street Glide with the HO 103 was part of that and I don't think anybody will say those are failures. And, (this is just my opinion) I believe they learned the lessons they needed to with the twin cooled and have improved it for the new motor.

Old 08-29-2017 | 12:00 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member

I'm sorry, didn't mean to hurt your little feelings. Bless your heart.

Old 08-29-2017 | 12:11 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member

because the older crowd is stuck in the 1960s and are buying fewer and fewer bikes as they age out of the market. Harley has to get new customers, and tastes change over generations. Their potential new customers don't have this sick fetish for the 1950s and don't want a chromed-out throwback to the FLH.
Only time will tell who's right.

Oh? so it sounds like you weren't going to buy a new bike any time soon anyway.
Well, not a softail. I had no problem with them when there was other choices, cause as they said, there is an *** for every seat.

The old folks have every bit as much right as the younger guys to voice their opinion on what they want or don't want. We have kept the company afloat through some rough times. Time will tell if the newer bunch will keep them going into the future. I'm guessing when they get bored with HD they will go back to the Honda or Yamaha they still have in the garage.

Last edited by TroubleHead Fred; 08-29-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-29-2017 | 12:27 PM
Kayakguy
Road Captain

Harley survived the last 100+ years making the same old thing, it's what made them the icon they are now. They will never keep the snowflakes happy, they want a metric bike with Harley badges.

Don't flatter yourself. The old folks(most) have money or resources to buy bikes if they want them. I have several bikes and paid cash for all of them. Harley is betting their future on a generation that has to dig through couch cushions to find change to tip the pizza guy.

I'm very happy with my carb and kick starter, and I can actually operate them both. If it weren't for electric start much of the newer generation would have to drive momma's mini van to Applebee's bike night.

Where in the Hell did you get the idea Harley has been making the same thing for the past hundred years? They have evolved incredibly. Actually in my opinion I think the baby boomer's broke the tradition of Harley trying to be the performance leader and progressing designs. From about the 70's on they started having to incrementally improve what they could to keep their customer base happy at the expense of the giant leaps forward in design the rest of the world made. Before the boomers and the next generation Harley was pushing new ideas as fast as they could.

I hate to break it to you but the boomers aren't the producers anymore. That's life. I am 41 and all of my business contacts and associates are around my age. I have two businesses. That is the way the world works. One day I can only hope to stop being a producer and kick back. Regardless those kids aren't all digging through the cushions. They are lawyers, doctors, engineers, construction workers, business owners, and soldiers.

As for kick start, who gives a damn. If you want a kicker just buy one it's not like you have to pass a test. I have an XLCH and a T-120 that are kickers. Hell, for that matter I have a Vespa that is kick only. Does that make me cool? At least I can ride it to bike night where the cool kids are.

Old 08-29-2017 | 12:47 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kayakguy
Where in the Hell did you get the idea Harley has been making the same thing for the past hundred years? They have evolved incredibly. Actually in my opinion I think the baby boomer's broke the tradition of Harley trying to be the performance leader and progressing designs. From about the 70's on they started having to incrementally improve what they could to keep their customer base happy at the expense of the giant leaps forward in design the rest of the world made. Before the boomers and the next generation Harley was pushing new ideas as fast as they could.

I hate to break it to you but the boomers aren't the producers anymore. That's life. I am 41 and all of my business contacts and associates are around my age. I have two businesses. That is the way the world works. One day I can only hope to stop being a producer and kick back. Regardless those kids aren't all digging through the cushions. They are lawyers, doctors, engineers, construction workers, business owners, and soldiers.

As for kick start, who gives a damn. If you want a kicker just buy one it's not like you have to pass a test. I have an XLCH and a T-120 that are kickers. Hell, for that matter I have a Vespa that is kick only. Does that make me cool? At least I can ride it to bike night where the cool kids are.
The 100 years was in reply to the ones saying they had been making the same bikes forever and it was time for something totally different. Myself, I am well aware of the changes they have made over the years. Harley has had the nostalgia of the "same" old bikes working in their favor though and I hate to see that lost on their quest to make "cutting edge tech" metric knockoffs.

Old 08-29-2017 | 12:49 PM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior

I really liked my old Evo powered Heritage that I sold in 2000, it felt and sounded almost like a Panhead. I like my 2010 Electra Glide Limited with its 6 speed transmission, stereo, and cruise control. The last couple of years I've been thinking that I might pick up a new Heritage once they get the new M8 motor, but after seeing them all blacked out and the higher price, I think not.
I think maybe instead I might buy another Evo Heritage and fix what I didn't like about the one I had twenty five years ago, by sticking in a 6 speed transmission, Brembo brakes on it, some type of cruise control, and some type of speakers mounted on the handlebars. Oh, and those inexpensive Sunpie Daymaker lights.

Last edited by jamesroadking; 08-29-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-29-2017 | 01:04 PM
Kayakguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
I really liked my old Evo powered Heritage that I sold in 2000, it felt and sounded almost like a Panhead. I like my 2010 Electra Glide Limited with its 6 speed transmission, stereo, and cruise control. The last couple of years I've been thinking that I might pick up a new Heritage once they get the new M8 motor, but after seeing them all blacked out and the higher price, I think not.
I think maybe instead I might buy another Evo Heritage and fix what I didn't like about the one I had twenty five years ago, by sticking in a 6 speed transmission, Brembo brakes on it, some type of cruise control, and some type of speakers mounted on the handlebars. Oh, and those inexpensive Sunpie Daymaker lights.

Have you seen the Heritage in person? I love it. I love every change they made to it and I think that while it looks like a Heritage the refinements are bomber!

Improved lean angle...Praise the lord! Hard bags, absolutely though a bit small. the turn signals are slick. The fog light switch moved to the bars and no longer feels like an after thought. I love the black because I want to ride and not be sad about dirty chrome. Its my pet peeve. I can be covered in mud and often am but a water spot on chrome kills my soul.

Quick Reply: Harleysaki...