General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleysaki...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017 | 10:50 AM
Pachuco
Cruiser

Im getting kinda old but I still like the new bikes.

Saying the MOCO screwed the pooch on this and will be hurting in 2-3 years is a little short sided. I stepped back and look at it this way:

They pretty much gave us everything we asked for - suspension, brakes, power, performance with weight reduction. What's not to like?

I think they have set themselves up to be healthier in the long run. They could have reduced cost by building lower quality bikes but I don't think they did that here...they did it by standardizing the engine across the touring and cruiser lines, they eliminated an entire line but still incorporated the most popular models of that line into the softail line. Just think of all the parts inventory they have reduced...that's a lot of savings there. The new models are also ~30 lbs lighter and my non-engineering guess is that some of that weight reduction translates into cost savings. So through smart engineering they are positioning themselves for a great future.

Look at how clean that rolling chassis looks in the video. One of the things I like about my Harley is the clean simple frame and they have kept that. Have you ever looked at a Japanese bike frame...ugh.

The following 2 users liked this post by Pachuco:
DuciDay (02-29-2024), Rakthi (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017 | 10:50 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
where are you getting 66% against, 33% for?

I can't believe how awesome hd is. I mean, they have a 'gushmore fiasco' and sales across all brands of motorcycle suffer. dayum!....
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...to-buy-11.html

Ever since the above thread/poll was started it has consistently ran with about a two thirds majority against the new bikes. I have been to my local dealer and the majority of people in there looking was bad mouthing the looks as well.

Almost everyone I know rides and less than a third of them like the new bikes.

As they say, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not their own facts.
The fact is sales have suffered since the release of the Rushmore bikes, if it had been a big hit they wouldn't have rushed to replace them so soon.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (09-01-2017)
Old 08-29-2017 | 10:54 AM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
I also think in the near future they will see a large decline in sales over this new frame. You can't keep pissing off your core base with changes they don't want (66% against 33% in favor) and expect otherwise. They still haven't recovered from the Mount Gushmore fiasco, sales have been in decline the last 3 years. Of course they will blame it on the economy, like always instead of admitting failure with their designs. It's not the economy, build a bike people like and they will buy it.
I'd be very curious to see the source of your data - 66% against, huh?

I think sales will fall off fast after those who have to have a new one, no matter what get theirs bought up.
The good news is, this time next year we'll get to see if those predictions are accurate or not.

Odd, when the older crowd doesn't like what they're building it's called pissing and moaning but when the new converts **** and moan about how they want the MOCO to build them a bike just like the ricer they sold it's just "thoughtful suggestions".
No, it's still bitching and moaning. The difference is the older HD crowd is aging out; the younger HD crowd is starting to make enough expendable income to contemplate buying a Harley.

I'm not against change if I think it's something that needed improved.
That's the problem - everyone thinks their opinion is the "right" opinion these days.

I was looking forward to the new common core frame but I thought it would be a swingarm design.
Um... "swingarm design"? All Harley's have a "swingarm design" these days...

I was hoping for a new Road King that looked good without bags, like the old FLH. Something that resembled the Switchback but with a ride like the Road King and the new M-8 engine.

To me, it wouldn't matter if the Softails were putting out 200 hp to the ground, out the door. I still wouldn't be interested. I have a rigid shovel I ride daily, so I have no need for a fake hardtail. JMHO
I hope to have a rigid shovel in my garage in the next year or two also! HOWEVER, it will reside NEXT TO my Road Glide. Because I like riding A LOT and taking at least one road trip a year. Right now, I'm riding about 8,000 miles per year, and hoping to increase it next year. At 50, I don't want to ride that many miles on a rigid, or with a shovel. I'm thinking there's more people who agree than disagree with that.

YMMV.

Ever since the above thread/poll was started it has consistently ran with about a two thirds majority against the new bikes. I have been to my local dealer and the majority of people in there looking was bad mouthing the looks as well.

The fact is sales have suffered since the release of the Rushmore bikes, if it had been a big hit they wouldn't have rushed to replace them so soon.
Ah... so not exactly a scientific poll then... My bet is that number is different nationwide.

I will say when I showed up in the middle of a Friday last week for the first day of test rides for the 2018, the lot was full, and the lines were long. The part that really grabbed me was the parking lot... MANY Harley's in the lot, of course, but also MANY other bikes.... two crotch rockets, two sport-tourer's, several Jap cruisers, a Victory, and an Indian.

Another part that really grabbed me was - there were almost as many "younger" (<40) riders as there were "older" riders.

Now this observation isn't exactly scientific either, but... I think it represents the goal of HD designers in this new line. It will be interesting to see the sales number this time next year.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-01-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2017 | 11:01 AM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rakthi
Been looking for a new bike for some months. Nothing in the 2017 line of HD had "want" written on it or appealed to me. Just same old same old. Was on the verge of buying a Moto Guzzi when HD had their launch. Checked out the bikes and the Fat Bob just jumped out at me. Went to the local dealer who had one on display, checked it out and bought it on the spot without even a test ride.

This will be my 3rd HD. I guess at 61+ I'm considered "old" and no longer part of the "target" age group. As if I care.

Can't wait to take delivery and enjoy all the improvements they made. So what if the "sound" is not what it used to be. Don't need a loud bike anyway.
This is the fairy tale people have been pushing. That the 2018's are only for "younger" crowd. Obviously not as you're 61 and pulled the trigger, at full MSRP I imagine, on what happens to be one of their more "radical" (for lack of better word) designed models,....the Fat Bob.

For those looking for the more "traditional" look,...many of their models still look "traditional" to me. Sure there's been some updating,...but don't ALL auto manufacturers update their models. Cars seem to do it every 5 years. HD seems to do it every 20. So what!

Old 08-29-2017 | 11:04 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior

HD can't help it that a few folks are stuck in the 70's.

DuciDay (02-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2017 | 11:08 AM
Puttnik
Cruiser

That's some simplistic, anecdotal BS right there.

DuciDay (02-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2017 | 11:12 AM
jz78817
Road Master

Odd, when the older crowd doesn't like what they're building it's called pissing and moaning but when the new converts **** and moan about how they want the MOCO to build them a bike just like the ricer they sold it's just "thoughtful suggestions".
because the older crowd is stuck in the 1960s and are buying fewer and fewer bikes as they age out of the market. Harley has to get new customers, and tastes change over generations. Their potential new customers don't have this sick fetish for the 1950s and don't want a chromed-out throwback to the FLH.

To me, it wouldn't matter if the Softails were putting out 200 hp to the ground, out the door. I still wouldn't be interested. I have a rigid shovel I ride daily, so I have no need for a fake hardtail. JMHO
Oh? so it sounds like you weren't going to buy a new bike any time soon anyway.

DuciDay (02-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2017 | 11:13 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
Whaaaaaaaaaa, another thread in the sea of threads about the new bikes. Like I said in one of them, if HD keeps making the same bike, catering to you old farts, they won't generate any interest from the younger people looking to get into riding. If they start changing **** up, while it may not make people flock through the doors today or tomorrow, it's a better plan at creating interest for the people looking to buy a bike in a few years. That's what HD needs when you baby boomers die off.
Harley survived the last 100+ years making the same old thing, it's what made them the icon they are now. They will never keep the snowflakes happy, they want a metric bike with Harley badges.

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I always love how people hate on **** because they can't afford it.
Don't flatter yourself. The old folks(most) have money or resources to buy bikes if they want them. I have several bikes and paid cash for all of them. Harley is betting their future on a generation that has to dig through couch cushions to find change to tip the pizza guy.

Originally Posted by Roadrage1996
Interesting post, I want a bigger engine...got it, and sounds as good if not better than my 103, I want better suspension....got it..I want better brakes...got it...I want better looks and color choices....got it..I want better transmission..got it...I want a cheaper Harley...well not so much. I love that we are upgrading and adding better technology. For those that are complaining would you be happy with a kick starter and carb? I bet not!
I'm very happy with my carb and kick starter, and I can actually operate them both. If it weren't for electric start much of the newer generation would have to drive momma's mini van to Applebee's bike night.

The following 2 users liked this post by TroubleHead Fred:
AJSHOVEL (08-30-2017), tar_snake (09-01-2017)
Old 08-29-2017 | 11:20 AM
bjewell
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I always love how people hate on **** because they can't afford it.
You think I cannot "afford it?" You don't know me. And that picture of the old man that's me a year or two ago and I'm 72. I've held up pretty well I think.

I can see the problem here. About 80 percent of the posters here these days are like the guys I see riding through my Norcal beach town. New bikes, Chinese leathers, creature comforts and a fat wife on the back to match their own bellies.

I got my first scoot when I was 14, my first V-twin when I was 17 -- a '48 Chief -- and my first Harley when I was 22 -- a *****-to-the-wall XLCH. A few of us were bikers before most of you were born. Not club members, just scooter trash. I do my own service, like a fast Harley, hence the Dynas after my disastrous purchase of a lard-*** Streetglide.

I like the Harleys of my youth and I guess my kind are dying out. But to date, my kind have always been around, sort of like left-handed folks. We are as minority among the bike world and that is most definitely the way I like it.

I don't think watering down that experience is the way to go. Harleys always sold to a blue-collar rougher crowd than Honda so we'll see if making a Honda with a Harley badge will sell long term.

Have a great day...

tar_snake (09-01-2017)
Old 08-29-2017 | 11:30 AM
katanaplanet
Banned

Its about time Harley moves on from traditional customer base. They have to compete with other brands in terms of style, efficiency, and performance. Cult buyers are getting old and dying, and they are not making them anymore!
2018 models are step in right direction. Price reduction will eventually happen as shareholders expect Harley to report sales increase every quarter.

DuciDay (02-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Harleysaki...