General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleysaki...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017 | 11:39 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Puttnik
I think your sarcasm meter slipped a cog.
Or maybe he's not good at it.

Came off as a childish attack. Was I wrong?

Old 09-06-2017 | 11:49 AM
jz78817
Road Master

Originally Posted by Puttnik
I think your sarcasm meter slipped a cog.
well, it uses the stock compensator so it's forgivable.

The following 2 users liked this post by jz78817:
bjewell (09-06-2017), Puttnik (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017 | 02:03 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Supporter

I wish he could express himself better (Whining BITCHES and so on)
and say what's REALLY on his mind !!

I LIKE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I like that 95 Heritage too

Originally Posted by Prot
I think on a tech spec sheet, the 2018's are superior in every way, regardless if it is comparing to Dynas or 2017 and prior Softails. The exception to this is the fact that they reduced fuel capacity on many models down to 3.5 gallons.

Sound wise, well the last bikes that sounded very traditional (translated awesome legendary) were the carbureted Evo's once they were well tuned.

Looks are subjective. Many of the 2018's look vastly different. There's a whole lot of people that hate the new look. There's a whole lot of people that like the new look. Touring models remained mostly the same. Sportster remained mostly the same. Softail Deluxe and Softail Slim don't look much different. Fat Bob obviously is a radical redesign. What I am getting at is previously alll the bikes appealed to traditionalists. The 2018's offer something to appeal to traditionalists while trying to offer something that appeals to non traditionalists.

The new frame is stiffer, which is what many have been begging for. The oil tank was moved away from the Rider, which is what many have been begging for the last few years. The forks have vast,y improved internals which is what everyone wanted. The rear suspension has more travel than previous Softail or previous dynas. That's always good. Softails have been traditionally lacking in this area and Dyna owners have been having to buy numerous addons to fix various handling anomalies. The FXR even handled better than Dynas.

The engine has more displacement, more torque, more horsepower, better throttle response and runs smoother than previous models. These are all things many people have been wanting for years.

It is laughable that people are crying about handling of the new bikes when they have yet to ride one.

Looks wise, sure. There are a number of dubious choices in styling, but purely on tech specs, these are the best bikes the motor company has ever produced.

Price wise, they aren't that much more than last year. Everything goes up in price. I used to fill up my bike with gas fir five bucks and my car for twenty. A gallon of milk sure costs more than it used to. Dollar menu has all but disappeared from fast food drive thru.

I also see a lot of envy, jealousy etc. on this forum with various comments and threads of "my bike just went up in value"

We are talking about a nonessential luxury item. We aren't talking about one of life's necessities.

What do you want? A government sponsored Affordable Bike Program?

Whining bitches. Get out and ride! I know I would if I could.

Old 09-06-2017 | 02:17 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bjewell
You think I cannot "afford it?" You don't know me. And that picture of the old man that's me a year or two ago and I'm 72. I've held up pretty well I think.

I can see the problem here. About 80 percent of the posters here these days are like the guys I see riding through my Norcal beach town. New bikes, Chinese leathers, creature comforts and a fat wife on the back to match their own bellies.

I got my first scoot when I was 14, my first V-twin when I was 17 -- a '48 Chief -- and my first Harley when I was 22 -- a *****-to-the-wall XLCH. A few of us were bikers before most of you were born. Not club members, just scooter trash. I do my own service, like a fast Harley, hence the Dynas after my disastrous purchase of a lard-*** Streetglide.

I like the Harleys of my youth and I guess my kind are dying out. But to date, my kind have always been around, sort of like left-handed folks. We are as minority among the bike world and that is most definitely the way I like it.

I don't think watering down that experience is the way to go. Harleys always sold to a blue-collar rougher crowd than Honda so we'll see if making a Honda with a Harley badge will sell long term.

Have a great day...
You sound like an older me b, just a coupler years older.
While I'm here I'll add I'm not a fan of the new bikes at all.

Old 09-06-2017 | 02:52 PM
Puttnik
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nevada72
Or maybe he's not good at it.

Came off as a childish attack. Was I wrong?
Childish sarcasm. We're both right.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (09-06-2017)