General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleysaki...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017 | 10:07 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Agreed. But to me it was a visual obstruction from the seat I would rather not have to achieve a look I don't like. So it now has 2 reasons to take it off which is a waste. They should offer it without it as an option and provide a credit. Not a fan of fairings either
The windshield can be addressed during the purchase by saying swap it for one you like with no additional charge as a condition of purchase. A dealer would stupid to not sell a bike because of not wanting to make the swap. It's not like asking for an extra windshield. Tell them to keep the OEM one and give you one out of the parts and accessories catalog.

Old 09-05-2017 | 10:28 AM
Jedz123
Cruiser

I wonder if the government (aside from EPA) has any influence on a bikes design like they do on a car? Probably have some influence. This is the reason cars are all looking more and more like each other compared to previous decades where freedom of design produced iconic looks we'll never see again. Some of the requirements driving car design are pedestrian frontal impact requirements! Thats what killed the 2005/2006 FordGT supercar as of Jan 2007 which has now been redesigned so that person you hit lands in a certain way on the car minimizing injuries. Of course that doesn't apply to a bike but just putting that thought out there as the bikes get more and more tron-like in appearance. And really, how many different ways can you make a 2 wheeled thing look? Pretty limited when there's no body or the option to have a roof or not.
I think all the cars are starting to look alike is just aerodynamics... Purly stating that there is only one "truly" best aerodynamic design and you really can't deviate away from that and if you do you comprise performance and fuel economy... so combine that and safety... All the cars are basically going to look similar. Same with trucks.

Old 09-05-2017 | 10:44 AM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
Yea, but do you think the moco lawyers can convince a jury that yamaha and honda have been copying their 2018 RiceGlide bikes for the last 25 years?
What do you mean by copying, in the legal sense that is?

Old 09-05-2017 | 10:50 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Halojumper
What do you mean by copying, in the legal sense that is?
I think you missed the jest of my post.

Old 09-05-2017 | 10:51 AM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member

I wonder if the government (aside from EPA) has any influence on a bikes design like they do on a car? Probably have some influence. This is the reason cars are all looking more and more like each other compared to previous decades where freedom of design produced iconic looks we'll never see again. .
The EPA mostly affects the internals. The styling is more dictated by what is currently popular, just like with bikes.

Old 09-05-2017 | 11:40 AM
jz78817
Road Master

I wonder if the government (aside from EPA) has any influence on a bikes design like they do on a car? Probably have some influence. This is the reason cars are all looking more and more like each other compared to previous decades where freedom of design produced iconic looks we'll never see again. Some of the requirements driving car design are pedestrian frontal impact requirements! Thats what killed the 2005/2006 FordGT supercar as of Jan 2007 which has now been redesigned so that person you hit lands in a certain way on the car minimizing injuries. Of course that doesn't apply to a bike but just putting that thought out there as the bikes get more and more tron-like in appearance. And really, how many different ways can you make a 2 wheeled thing look? Pretty limited when there's no body or the option to have a roof or not.
the EPA only sets emissions limits for bikes 280cc and larger. there are no fuel economy standards or even any real safety standards except for NHTSA-ordered recalls should a defect arise.

Old 09-05-2017 | 11:57 AM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
I think you missed the jest of my post.
LOL, probably!

Old 09-05-2017 | 12:11 PM
Jedz123
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jz78817
the EPA only sets emissions limits for bikes 280cc and larger. there are no fuel economy standards or even any real safety standards except for NHTSA-ordered recalls should a defect arise.
Good to know! It's true you learn something new everyday.

Old 09-05-2017 | 12:20 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
So Harley should build a 279cc bike with manner of Tim The Toolman Taylor insanity in it? I wonder how much power is possible out of such a small engine.

Old 09-05-2017 | 12:38 PM
Jedz123
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Prot
So Harley should build a 279cc bike with manner of Tim The Toolman Taylor insanity in it? I wonder how much power is possible out of such a small engine.
Been done, (of course) buy Suzuki:

Suzuki RGV 250 249cc... 130mph on a 250!

Quick Reply: Harleysaki...