General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Leather Jacket to Buy??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 11:42 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,657 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
You are counting peoples posts?
No, that's just plain silly. I noticed that you seem to post continuously in this thread, so I used the forum software to tell me how many times you did post. Took under 5 seconds. 29 times out of the 140 posts.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:09 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,288 Likes on 711 Posts

Im going to be 38 in a few weeks and i wont touch anything with laces. All my redwings have said made in usa on them. Generally the chinese ones are 200ish and below and the american made ones are higher. My last 4 pair of work boots have been the redwing curv slip ons. Made in usa of imported materials.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:16 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

Redwing plaster there boots with stuff about redwing MN and heritage, blah, blah, but made in China inside.
And it's true, the Heritage line is made in the USA, as are many other non heritage and Irish Setter products. No heritage product is made outside the USA

To set the record straight, there are two plants, one in Red Wing, and the other in Petosi (MO), which make Redwing footwear out of leather produced in Redwing MN. There are plenty of US made boots. Redwing shoe company also operates a tannery in Redwing, MN to produce leather for their boots.

Also some items are produced outside of the USA, for several reasons.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:35 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I hve no expereience sliding with mesh. But i am curious why people think a nylon mesh would not give you protection. I think that is why it was invented.
Nylon mesh will of course give you some protection, but not a lot. It's really not up to the job and will rip and tear easily on contact with the road. It's made to flow air as the primary goal.

Thats why the chassis of many mesh jackets are made of other materials. For example, my Harley FXRG jacket has mesh panels on the chest and back, but most of the bits that will hopefully hit the road first are made of leather and have built in armor.

Old 05-04-2019, 02:45 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by Jshopes
Im going to be 38 in a few weeks and i wont touch anything with laces. ls.
Give it a shot. There is a reason why hiking boots have laces. I like the angle support. Plus I think you will find better arch support too.
Originally Posted by adm
Nylon mesh will of course give you some protection, but not a lot. It's really not up to the job and will rip and tear easily on contact with the road. It's made to flow air as the primary goal.
or.
Its going to give you more than bare skin. Not as much as full nylon jacket. I suspect more than you think. It doesn't have to be leather.

Other wise why wear it? Well I do wear it cause I like having pockets.

Old 05-04-2019, 02:46 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
No, that's just plain silly. I noticed that you seem to post continuously in this thread, so I used the forum software to tell me how many times you did post. Took under 5 seconds. 29 times out of the 140 posts.
Why would you make that effort?

But I just bought a jacket. So it as fresh on my mind.

Old 05-04-2019, 04:46 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Its going to give you more than bare skin. Not as much as full nylon jacket. I suspect more than you think. It doesn't have to be leather.

Other wise why wear it? Well I do wear it cause I like having pockets.
Sorry - I'm not arguing with you that mesh jackets are no good. My only point was that a woven Cordura jacket is more abrasion resistant than a "typical" mesh jacket - and flows the same amount of air to keep you cool. Cordura is basically just an abrasion resistant form of Nylon anyway. It's just that the mesh material is as strong as the woven material. Anyway.....

By the way... I am a massive fan of quality textile motorcycle kit - and also quality leather stuff as well.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:18 PM
BluesStringer
Road Master

Received 690 Likes on 367 Posts

My point is the mesh jackets are nice for the pockets, and they offer protection to the skin. How can you think it wouldn't offer more protection than bare skin?
FAKE NEWS. I never said I thought anything except that, because of a medicine-induced excessive sweat problem, I don't cover up beyond a T-shirt when it's real hot (and humid) outside. I made the highly equivocal statement that I, "Can't imagine that mesh would give me much protection anyway, but I don't know, maybe." To the extent that mesh is better'n bare skin, the added heat retention isn't enough protection for me to put up with. I really don't care if you agree with my decision or not, but I do wish you would quit misstating what I said, or even implied. I never used the words "bare skin" and never compared the protection level of mesh to bare skin. I simply said that it would be too uncomfortable for me to wear covering because of my sweat problem.

Blues

Old 05-04-2019, 06:50 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,288 Likes on 711 Posts

Give it a shot. There is a reason why hiking boots have laces. I like the angle support. Plus I think you will find better arch support too.
Tried it, not going back. Ever. Even when i played ice hockey i liked my skates loose and if you ever need strong ankles or alot of support thats the time.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:13 AM
Ironhandjohn
Tourer
Received 313 Likes on 125 Posts

I bought this jacket last year and it’s served me well. There is enough adjustment to be able to wear warm stuff underneath it, and the vent system makes wearing it in 80+ degree days tolerable. It wasn’t cheap, but it was the only leather jacket that fit and had the features I was looking for. Mine has the flexible armor plates in the elbows and shoulders, and I wish that the back had a pocket for spine armor.

The following users liked this post:
Rains2much (06-14-2024)

Quick Reply: What Leather Jacket to Buy??