General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Leather Jacket to Buy??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 02:49 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by BluesStringer
Nah, like I said, I sweat pretty bad even with just a T-shirt on. Can't imagine that mesh would give me much protection anyway, but I don't know, maybe. Just try to dress around the sweat for the most part, but thanks for the suggestion.
Have a look at the Rukka jacket I posted a link to earlier. It flows air just like a mesh jacket, but is also highly protective and abrasion resistant, unlike mesh.

On a positive note, if you sweat a lot while riding, then the evaporation of the sweat on your body should cool you down. Sometimes when it's really hot, I will wet my t-shirt and wear it under a mesh jacket (this year will be the Rukka jacket). The hot air flow evaporates the water in the t-shirt and keeps the skin cool.

The following users liked this post:
BluesStringer (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 06:42 AM
texasdw
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

I'll throw out another consideration...Rev'it. European stuff, so the style may not be a fit for what most are looking for on this forum. But if you can get one to fit properly, it's high quality stuff, and the armor they're putting in their latest versions is really thin and lightweight. In fact, you don't even notice the armor is there. I just bought their "Stewart Air Jacket" and the branding is really subtle. I looked at a similar jacket from Fox Creek in several different sizes and the cut just wouldn't work for my build.

I've mentioned before that I like my Fox Creek - a lot - but there's no armor there, and most of the aftermarket armor is way too heavy. Anyway, leathers are great for a slide, but for good impact absorption you need some armor.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:56 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
Have a look at the Rukka jacket I posted a link to earlier. It flows air just like a mesh jacket, but is also highly protective and abrasion resistant, unlike mesh.

Ool.
I hve no expereience sliding with mesh. But i am curious why people think a nylon mesh would not give you protection. I think that is why it was invented.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:27 AM
Roster
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some engineer boots still made in USA. My 5 year old pair made in Red Wing.

Last edited by Roster; 05-03-2019 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Not complete
Old 05-03-2019, 10:25 AM
tomboyjr
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Heres my 2 cents. 18 yrs ago I bought a Walter Dyer jacket for $275. I still have it and its in great shape, though it did shrink a little-lol. Its worth the cash for a quality jacket.

I had really wanted the Harley FXRG jacket but it was $600. I ended up finding that same jacket on ebay brand new for $225, a discontinued model. And it has no logo on the back, just a little FXRG thing on a front pocket. I highly recommend these. And I never buy Harley branded stuff.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:52 AM
Zerk
Banned

Originally Posted by Roster
They must have come back. 05 us, 06 mine were Chinese.

But I quit wearing them I want some with ankle protection. Don't miss them.

Old 05-03-2019, 02:42 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,657 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Roster
Originally Posted by Zerk
They must have come back. 05 us, 06 mine were Chinese.
But I quit wearing them I want some with ankle protection. Don't miss them.
You can just look on the Redwings website to see the country of origin. It's actually quite easy and very obvious where a particular shoe is made. Why do you think "they must have come back?" From what I've seen, they have been manufacturing shoes both in the USA and offshore for a number of years.

Are you a fan or do you have a particular expertise in jackets or leather? You have 25+ posts in this thread!

Old 05-03-2019, 06:02 PM
Zerk
Banned

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
You can just look on the Redwings website to see the country of origin. It's actually quite easy and very obvious where a particular shoe is made. Why do you think "they must have come back?" From what I've seen, they have been manufacturing shoes both in the USA and offshore for a number of years.

Are you a fan or do you have a particular expertise in jackets or leather? You have 25+ posts in this thread!
He said his were made in USA. If that is the case they would have had to come back, because the ones I bought 2006 were Chinese.

You are counting peoples posts?

Old 05-04-2019, 01:07 AM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,288 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
He said his were made in USA. If that is the case they would have had to come back, because the ones I bought 2006 were Chinese.

You are counting peoples posts?
They never left. Ive always only bought american made redwings since the chinese ones arent worth a ****. They have diversified including chinese ones, but the american ones have always been there.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:05 AM
Zerk
Banned

Did they say made in USA? Redwing plaster there boots with stuff about redwing MN and heritage, blah, blah, but made in China inside. I am over Redwing anyways, and really over pull on boots. I wear a pair of muck boots once in a great while. I wore slip on for years, would even go for walks or bird hunting. But sometimes you just don't know any better, and older you get the more you want. I gave up slip on around 31.

On their website when searching engineer all that comes up is Cambodia. I do give them credit for being able to search and listing. Maybe under another name, didn't come up under American work boots. I didn't go through assembled with foreign components or made with imported.

Last edited by Zerk; 05-04-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Quick Reply: What Leather Jacket to Buy??