General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With the Dyna's gone

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017 | 04:35 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
I don't think Harley discontinues a model or a product line because it is outmoded or obsolete. At least they haven't done so up to now. They tend to discontinue them when they aren't selling. The Dynas and the old Softails were not selling in the numbers that Harley was looking for.
There's a principle of successful manufacturing called Continuous Improvement which applies to every facet of the operation, including the product.
If products don't improve, they don't sell.

Old 09-26-2017 | 04:51 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by RK4ME
There's a principle of successful manufacturing called Continuous Improvement which applies to every facet of the operation, including the product.
If products don't improve, they don't sell.
Of course. Harley practices LEAN manufacturing, and I'm pretty sure they use Kaizen to involve all levels of the organization in this improvement.

As this relates to the Dyna line, engines, fuel delivery, transmissions, suspension, brakes and style were updated almost constantly during its life cycle. New models were added and old models removed.

Overall, the 2017 models were the "best" Dynas Harley could build. It's hard to argue that the 2017 editions weren't improved significantly from the original ones. They just didn't sell in the numbers that Harley wanted them to.

Old 09-26-2017 | 08:21 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member

You guys need to just go buy a Yamaha 600 or something. The sports bike market is even deader than the Cruiser market. I've kept a sports bike around off and on for years. But they are no fun. Half or three quarters of the fun of riding is to experience your surroundings. That's not easy to do with your nuts squashed against the tank and your nose on the bar.

Here's my last sports bike. Went pretty good, put 8500 miles on it.

Old 09-26-2017 | 08:37 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

"Harley has been the benchmark for decades when it comes to American style cruising, but they can't quite ever hit the mark when it's time to master another style."

There AIN'T no other style. There's other TYPES of bikes, but no other "Style".

The following users liked this post:
bjewell (09-26-2017)
Old 09-27-2017 | 12:14 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Of course. Harley practices LEAN manufacturing, and I'm pretty sure they use Kaizen to involve all levels of the organization in this improvement.

As this relates to the Dyna line, engines, fuel delivery, transmissions, suspension, brakes and style were updated almost constantly during its life cycle. New models were added and old models removed.

Overall, the 2017 models were the "best" Dynas Harley could build. It's hard to argue that the 2017 editions weren't improved significantly from the original ones. They just didn't sell in the numbers that Harley wanted them to.
I remember when the Superglide was introduced. It was the closest thing, ever, to a "factory chopper". And it was a big deal but it has been superseded by the Softail. Not enough Harley buyers want a rigidly mounted "A" motor in an old school twin-shock frame.
As for product improvement, the TwinCam was improved into the M8, and the Dyna frame and Softail frames were improved into the new mono-shock frame. For all the complaining done here about the death of the Dyna, I've only seen ONE post from someone who actually bought a 2017 Dyna.

Old 09-27-2017 | 06:59 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

I like my Dyna, it ***** and gits.....but its not new, a 2005. I will and have admitted that the new 'cross' between Dyna and Softail looks like a neat bike. I would give it a test ride if I was on the market for a new ride.

Last edited by Super Glidester; 09-27-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-27-2017 | 10:07 AM
JB Johnson
Cruiser

I don't think Harley discontinues a model or a product line because it is outmoded or obsolete. At least they haven't done so up to now. They tend to discontinue them when they aren't selling. The Dynas and the old Softails were not selling in the numbers that Harley was looking for.
Exactly...Softails and Dyna were not moving as well as other lines. Hard to move them when everyone in my area has a Streetglide or Ultra in their garage with 200 miles on it.

Old 09-27-2017 | 10:38 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by JB Johnson
Exactly...Softails and Dyna were not moving as well as other lines. Hard to move them when everyone in my area has a Streetglide or Ultra in their garage with 200 miles on it.
I know it's hard for some to accept that the bikes they love weren't selling. If they were, Harley would have adapted them so the new engine would have worked with them.

I was around, but not following bikes (9 YO) when Harley stopped making rigids, so I don't remember the reaction. I do remember the reaction in '65 when they started with electric start on the big bikes. It was a lot of the same pejorative nonsense we are hearing now. The same when the nosecone motor was introduced, the same with the introduction of the EVO.

Ten years from now, God willing, we'll see the next step in the evolution, and there will be the naysayers boo-hooing over the end of the M8.
"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose"

Old 09-27-2017 | 02:06 PM
Cobr0
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JB Johnson
How do you figure? The Big-Twin Cruisers outsold the Sporster and came close to the Touring line. To bad HD doesn't split out the Dyna, Softtail and V-Rod.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...96015916066239

Q1 and Q2 2017

Sportster® / Street: 36,591

Cruiser:50,401

Touring:65,718

Total:152,638

The Cruisers outsold the Touring bikes by significant margin up until 2011. HD's overall sales peaked in 2006, dropped sharply and have been recovering since 2010.

There is more going on here then "Dyna's don't sell".

Last edited by Cobr0; 09-27-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-27-2017 | 02:16 PM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member

didn't they reassert their Sport Glide name, so where is it?

Quick Reply: With the Dyna's gone