General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017 | 09:03 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by upflying
Harley only makes two bikes now, Touring and Softail
In my opinion, the name Low Rider does not belong on a Softail.

This Dyna is a PROPER Low Rider..

Just struck me... They changed the tank shape... Not for the better.

Old 08-23-2017 | 09:04 AM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by T^2
Just struck me... They changed the tank shape... Not for the better.
Street Bob now only has a 3.5 gallon tank.

Old 08-23-2017 | 09:29 AM
jz78817
Road Master

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
I am deeply disgusted by the MOCO after seeing this ****-poor "update" on their frames.

I never wanted a Softail before the 2018s came out, no way would I consider one of those fugly abortions they just came out with. They look like Yamaha tried to make a softail clone. I can't imagine the Dyna guys being happy about them.
I own a Dyna, and I would take a 2018 Fat Bob or Street Bob in a heartbeat.

Old 08-23-2017 | 09:30 AM
gore12
Novice

No but not only no but HELL no.
I love the new motor. My wife has a 2017 SG. I have 2015 CVO Limited with 117. I was thinking about butyng a 2018 CVO Limited but I'm not paying $40,000.00 for a Denim paint job. I think Moco really screwed the pouch on all the paint except for a couple of colors. The blacked out SG and RG is ok if that's your taste. I don't like the 3 1/2 gallon tanks on the Softtail models. I would think the Softtails should be a lot smoother ride and run like a bat out of hell.

Old 08-23-2017 | 09:31 AM
Biter
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RoadKingMD
Well... I guess roughly you can divide HD fans into two camps... those that are like me and love the old style bikes and guys like my brother who would love a Harley if it rode and had everything a BMW motorcycle has (say automatic shifting???)

I am more than happy to own a 2013 Road King Classic that has everything I need for long, comfortable rides - I my opinion it is the ultimate combo between looking oldschool and having modern tech. I personally dont need more.

As for the new line-up... Deluxe maybe, Heritage has ugly bags now... They totally killed the FatBoy that is fugly as hell, Slim looks like Indian Scout to me, and for the rest of the models I never cared much.

Another aspect is - all the enviromental / EPA rules killed the true Harley for me - so the only way to go in Europe is getting an 30+ years old Harley that qualifies as an oldtimer and that will be my second "sunday" ride someday, while I will keep my 2013 King as long as I can

So ... I don't care much - there is more than 70 years of used Harleys out there
I think there are far more than two camps and the internet is full of people that write so little, as such do not elucidate their true feelings (not meaning you)

Q - Would I buy a 2018 now? A - No! I love my bike, it is now far from standard and personal to me.

Q - If I crashed my 2010 Dyna and it was damaged beyond repair, would I buy a 2018? A - Yes I would, I am under no illusion the new bikes are likely an improvement on a 2010 Dyna. And I would start with this improved base bike to again make it my own.

Q - If they bring out a Softtail Wideglide with 120ci 130bhp Engine, traction control and ABS in 2020 would I trade my 2010 Dyna Wideglide with 110 Engine? A - Yes I probably would.

So I suppose I am saying, never say never. You just don't know what is around the corner.

Old 08-23-2017 | 09:31 AM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member

NA,, I'll hang on to my OLD clunker.. potata-potata-potata

Old 08-23-2017 | 09:38 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member

The Fatbob sure looks nice. That will probably be my next bike. From the articles I have read and you guys should read them, it is a big improvement and alot of engineering went through to fix all the crap you guys keep complaining about.

Old 08-23-2017 | 09:43 AM
FLASH1970
Stellar HDF Member

I was looking for the "no, cant afford it" option...

Old 08-23-2017 | 09:46 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MoRider
I'm not sure why everyone is mad about a change to a more modern suspension ? Both lines the Softail and Dyna were do for an update and it wouldn't have been cost effective to build two new frames for two lines. This is not the old Softail frames they are using it's lighter and stiffer. I say give them a chance take one out for a demo ride and then see if you like it.
I think the new frame and the fact that the bikes are lighter and more nimble will contribute quite a bit to their performance. I love the new Fat Bob! Not so happy about the looks of the new Low Rider though. I'm willing to give up on some looks for better performance though. Hopefully it's much better.

Old 08-23-2017 | 09:46 AM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior

Had a chance to see most of the 2018's up close last night. Styling-wise, overall, I like them, some more than others and a few not at all. The design is a bit "transformer-esque" for my taste, but there are some interesting features - all subjective of course.

The dyna/softail merge merge is a bit confusing to me, and no doubt is going to **** off many. It'll be interesting to ride some of them.

Will I be buying one? Highly unlikely.

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?