General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017 | 04:54 PM
LXT
Road Master

Originally Posted by jz78817
it isn't just that, it's that the structure was not designed for "controlled collapse." if you watch the whole thing, you see that on the '59 Bel Air:

- The A-pillar/front bulkhead just caves in, which makes the driver eat the dashboard and nearly lets the door tear free
- the seat tears free from the floor, making the first one worse
- the frame buckles and fails to prevent the body's structural collapse.

if that had been an actual human driver, that would have been a 0% chance of survival. AFAIK their analysis of the dummy showed that a person would have had his legs and pelvis crushed, along with the rib cage and facial injuries. All of that thicker sheet metal and big chrome bumpers, useless.

if you watch the '09 Malibu:

- the front structure collapses in a controlled manner, and the rapid controlled bending of the front subframe horns dissipates energy (as heat) and softens the crash "impulse" the occupants feel
- the colliding vehicle stops dead at the A-pillar and does not intrude into the Malibu's cabin
- the dashboard barely moves at all.

indeed, I think they said they could still open the driver's door after that test.

so yeah, cars have more plastic and suffer more monetary damage in collisions, but that's because we've collectively decided that it's far more important for the car to be able to sacrifice itself to save the people inside of it instead of accommodating idiots who don't pay attention to what's around them in a parking lot. And I'm fine with that. Screw the car, you can get another one. That's what insurance is for. And the insurers sure would rather write checks for a few thousand dollars to fix or replace a car than to write checks for hundreds of thousands of dollars (or millions in settlements) because people got busted up.

we drive 3 times as many miles every year as we did in 1972, yet we have about half of the fatalities on the road as we did back then. I'd say we're doing something right.
Sorry I don't buy that video to be 100% correct, There is a video of a 59 dodge pick up truck on you tube that drove through a brick wall as a publicity stunt, you could also at the dealership hit the hood with a ball peen hammer & good luck at denting it, hell the paint back then (no doubt toxic) was acrylic enamel (Enron) & lasted forever.

I watched the video & yes it shows what some one wants it to show - Ive seen the old cars (68 cyclone) get hit at a car cruise accidentally by a dodge avenger..........bumper to bumper head on & lets just say the 68 bumber had a dimple while the avenger............ha! airbag went off, plastic cover on bumper cracked & hanging, grill busted & that made to crush up frame system they have now a days made it so the hood got crinkled.

So other than a dimple in the 68 - which by the way that guy was jacked off about cause guess what the dingy in the Avenger was doing...........Yep lets look at our cell phone, avenger...........bet that cost a couple grand!

So I take some of these tests with a grain of salt, But.... the newer cars/trucks are much better as was said in all other aspects, well see if the 09 models are around in 50 years - I'm betting there not.

Old 11-22-2017 | 09:50 PM
rideon
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by LXT
Sorry I don't buy that video to be 100% correct, There is a video of a 59 dodge pick up truck on you tube that drove through a brick wall as a publicity stunt, you could also at the dealership hit the hood with a ball peen hammer & good luck at denting it, hell the paint back then (no doubt toxic) was acrylic enamel (Enron) & lasted forever.

I watched the video & yes it shows what some one wants it to show - Ive seen the old cars (68 cyclone) get hit at a car cruise accidentally by a dodge avenger..........bumper to bumper head on & lets just say the 68 bumber had a dimple while the avenger............ha! airbag went off, plastic cover on bumper cracked & hanging, grill busted & that made to crush up frame system they have now a days made it so the hood got crinkled.

So other than a dimple in the 68 - which by the way that guy was jacked off about cause guess what the dingy in the Avenger was doing...........Yep lets look at our cell phone, avenger...........bet that cost a couple grand!

So I take some of these tests with a grain of salt, But.... the newer cars/trucks are much better as was said in all other aspects, well see if the 09 models are around in 50 years - I'm betting there not.
The new cars are designed to fall apart in a crash, that's how they absorb the energy. The old stuff was a lot more solid, but in a hard crash I could see the new stuff being safer.

Old 11-22-2017 | 10:26 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

LOL

that "better built" older car was a flimsy piece of crap which would shred you into cherry pie in any on-road collision.

and if you're worried about it costing $1000 to fix after backing into someone in the parking lot, the solution is to get your head out of your rear and not back into someone in the parking lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxd27jlZ_g

2009 Malibu: you open the door and get out of the car.
1959 Bel Air: You hope enough of your body is able to look good in your casket.

and don't give me that "better built" nonsense. one of the execs at my company has an unrestored 1961 Lincoln Continental. the build quality and fit & finish is something even the Eastern bloc countries could have done better in the '80s.
And this is what you come up with replying to my 5 mph bump quote

Enuf said
Wiz 🙄

Old 11-23-2017 | 02:30 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

The 2018 CVO Limited is $43,000. About the price of a Mercedes C Class or BMW 3 series. But still not. $53k.

Old 11-23-2017 | 05:38 AM
WristpinKnock
Cruiser

funny how you act like because a CVO model is $52k, they must all be $52k.

Is a Fusion somehow unaffordable just because the F-450 Platinum can be optioned almost to $100k?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/28/luxu...ted/index.html
No, I understand they’re not all $52,000.00. I just think - for me - that’s a lot of money for a motorcycle. I could buy a new Road King and a Fusion for that...but, that’s me. If a guy or gal has that kind of money to spend on a new bike, that’s great. I’m glad for them. I love looking at nice bikes and I’m glad they are out there being ridden and enjoyed. Just cause I couldn’t afford one, doesn’t mean I don’t think anyone should have one.

Old 11-23-2017 | 08:44 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by baka1969

The 2018 CVO Limited is $43,000. About the price of a Mercedes C Class or BMW 3 series. But still not. $53k.
If I brought a bike for 43k the wife would have my ***** on a plate, and no wife.

Wiz

Old 11-23-2017 | 09:21 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior

the only thing that would even make my look twice would be an orange tri glide. We discussed how big a hit we would be taking considering all the parts that would not switch over. For the less than the "hit" we can get some orange paint and a FM 110 and still have something no one does.

Old 11-23-2017 | 10:03 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
If I brought a bike for 43k the wife would have my ***** on a plate, and no wife.

Wiz
That's the difference between our wive's then.

I would have been perfectly happy with a low mileage, red 2016 FLTRUSE.

But my wife told me to buy it. She said, (in no particular order)
"We can afford it"
"You work very hard for this family, you deserve something special"
"Riding is our favorite thing to do together"
"You are not getting any younger, this is probably the last new bike you will ever buy"

And just to set the record straight this is not the first time she has done this...

The below post is from; https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ml#post7464335

"Well it is now official, my wife has gone completely around the bend!
The crazy women actually up and did it!
As described in my last thread about her,
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...e-my-wife.html
Momma thought we should go out and look at new bikes before I sunk 2 grand in the form of a 107 kit into the Heritage. I honestly figured she would do the same thing I do, lust after a new bike and then while looking at the price tag shake her head sadly and say "maybe next year."
Not my wife....
We went to a dealership about an hour from home because I thought my local dealership did not have a FLTRU.
She looks at the new Road Glide Ultra I like, decides it has to be black (because everyone {even my wife} knows black bikes are faster ) and starts dickering with the salesman. In the middle of all this she turns looks at me and asks "would this bike make you happy?" She then goes back to dickering, after a while she looks at me and says, "we can do this..."We go to a second out of town dealership where my wife gets all the numbers, but we don't buy anything. So much for that I was thinking... Then Momma suggests we stop at our local dealership on the way home.
They have a black FLTRU sitting on the floor. Arrived on Friday and hit the the floor on Monday. Anyway my wife marches up to the sales manager, Brian and informs him, " we just came from 2 other dealerships and heard their best offers, we would rather buy the bike from you." 4 hours later after Brian had beaten the other offers by nearly a thousand dollars we are the owners of a Black 2011 FLTRU.
I swear I honestly did not think we would end up buying a bike, but when Momma wants you to be happy anything can happen....
It's like the old commercial, "this is my wife, I think I will keep her...""

Last edited by PFWiz; 11-23-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-23-2017 | 10:18 AM
jz78817
Road Master

Originally Posted by LXT
you seem to have written your own version of history here. old paints "lasted forever?" On what planet? Up all the way through the 1980s automotive paint would fade and become dull within about 5 years. there was a transition period in the '90s where car companies had trouble with new paint formulations, but since then they've been pretty solid.

If the Avenger hit it hard enough to deploy airbags, then I don't believe your claim that the Cyclone "only had a dimple."

Oh jeez. The average age of cars on the road keeps getting longer. You're one of those guys who thinks that just because you see a few lovingly-restored '50s cars at a show that must mean they "last forever?" For every mint 1957 Chevy Bel Air you see at a show, thousands upon thousands of 150s and Two-Tens rusted away and went to the scrap yard. Cripes, my dad's '70s Cougar lasted all of three Michigan winters before it had holes in the rear quarter panels and trunk floor.

Last edited by jz78817; 11-23-2017 at 10:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rakthi (11-25-2017)
Old 11-23-2017 | 02:21 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master

Since we're on page 82 I have no idea where this topic has ended up, so I'll just respond to the OP's question.

My interest was the '18 Fatbob, coming from a 2017 Lowrider S.

These two bikes seem to be ones in the main debate of the hot sport model, I went with an open mind out of curiosity.

Things I liked about the Fatbob; the balance of the weight. The bike feels lighter, the weights up a bit higher and it makes it easier to toss between your legs. I loved the 180 rear tire and the rear fender look. Liked the tires/wheels and the front looked to have a bigger brake setup too.

Things I didn't like: the exhaust cover, I get what they were trying to do I just didn't like how it looked when I looked down at it from a seated position, I like them to wrap around it more. The handle bars, fat in the middle that got narrow, not something I like the look of personally. Headlight from any angle other than the side. Actually the whole headlight area including where it hit the frame looked off to my eyes. But these are just visual complaints, which can always be adjusted and something you might just wake up to like one day.

But there are three things that would keep me from replacing my LR-S with one.

First, it's smaller. Least it looks that way. All the pedals, the visuals of the tank, how I feel I'm sitting on it rather than in it, the way the handle bars get smaller towards the end, it just makes me feel like it's a sportster rather than a big-twin (nothing against sportsters, they're one of my favorites!).

Second... ok this one is highly subjective and I think the root of a lot of complaints. When I looked at it then over to the other Harleys around and back, the FatBob lost some of that Harley charm to me. That X factor that makes you want a Harley and not a Yamaha cruiser just seemed to be missing. If I hadn't owned the LR-S first I may not have noticed or cared about this.

Third; the LR-S gave me an adrenaline rush when I saw it, I was sold before I even sat on it. Never experienced anything like it, didn't care for pictures of it before hand. The Fatbob didn't move me like that.

With all that being said if I was still coming from an FZ1 the FatBob 114 would be the top competitor and the "logical" choice I would have seen if I hadn't seen an LR-S.

However, some food for thought if someone is considering a Fatbob vs LR-S. The LR-S has cruise control standard, one of the best things ever you didn't know you needed. And the LR-S has the 110, an engine that's been improved over the years, problems with it discovered, fixes known. The 107 is a new engine, a first run. First runs in my experience have special issues that get solved in a year or two.

Also, from what I've seen I think there is a good case that the 110 can be built up reasonably more than a 107. We're talking the everyday man building, I'm not touching the "I dropped $20,000 into the engine" section, lol. I'm sure the videos been posted of the LR-S going against the 114 Fat Bob. The better/lighter rider won after riding both bikes.

This leads me to believe a 114 and a LR-S 110 are pushing similar in the real world. The exhaust he had on the LR-S I don't think helped it much to be honest, looked like true duels and short.

And the 114 is the stroked 107... so if we put the 114 against the 117, I think the 117 would prove to make more usable power. Twin cam, sucking down fuel, having a blast kinda power.

But that's just my opinion, not fact.

In the end I'd say buy what bike moves you, they're equal enough and either route is a good one. But I won't be trading in my LR-S for one. If nothing else with the money lost I could a serious engine build or just buy a second bike. If buying new the LR-S could be a great buy over the Fat Bob, since they put the Bob in the spot light.

Last edited by CaptainAwesome; 11-23-2017 at 02:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaptainAwesome:
LXT (11-24-2017), rideon (11-25-2017)

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?