General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017 | 06:34 AM
badcooky
Banned

I bought one and love it but I've still got my cranky old Evo.

Old 11-22-2017 | 06:42 AM
WristpinKnock
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Back-n-Black
Love the battleship grey CVO.... but the $52k tag is a hard pill to swallow.
You’re f-ing sh!ting me! Wow, that not just the price of a car...that’s the price of a really nice car.

Harley-Davidson’s blue-collar, working man, bad@ss, skulls, and show me your t___s image is running hard into its white-collar, BMW, stock broker, and country club pricing there!

Old 11-22-2017 | 07:19 AM
jz78817
Road Master

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
I for one would prefer and older, better built car rather than this plastic crap they market now that costs a $1000 to fix after a 5 mph bump.

Wiz
LOL

that "better built" older car was a flimsy piece of crap which would shred you into cherry pie in any on-road collision.

and if you're worried about it costing $1000 to fix after backing into someone in the parking lot, the solution is to get your head out of your rear and not back into someone in the parking lot.

2009 Malibu: you open the door and get out of the car.
1959 Bel Air: You hope enough of your body is able to look good in your casket.

and don't give me that "better built" nonsense. one of the execs at my company has an unrestored 1961 Lincoln Continental. the build quality and fit & finish is something even the Eastern bloc countries could have done better in the '80s.

Last edited by jz78817; 11-22-2017 at 07:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jz78817:
DaddyKnuck (11-23-2017), ktp1598 (11-22-2017)
Old 11-22-2017 | 07:23 AM
jz78817
Road Master

Originally Posted by WristpinKnock
You’re f-ing sh!ting me! Wow, that not just the price of a car...that’s the price of a really nice car.

Harley-Davidson’s blue-collar, working man, bad@ss, skulls, and show me your t___s image is running hard into its white-collar, BMW, stock broker, and country club pricing there!
funny how you act like because a CVO model is $52k, they must all be $52k.

Is a Fusion somehow unaffordable just because the F-450 Platinum can be optioned almost to $100k?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/28/luxu...ted/index.html

Old 11-22-2017 | 07:31 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Back-n-Black
Love the battleship grey CVO.... but the $52k tag is a hard pill to swallow.
$52k tag? No such thing. There is not a single Harley with a MSRP anywhere near $50k. Either you are making up numbers or you are to lazy to find a dealer selling CVO's at MSRP.

I know , I have a Limited CVO on order. Mine with a 7 year warranty and a stage 4 won't break $50K.

Old 11-22-2017 | 07:46 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
LOL

that "better built" older car was a flimsy piece of crap which would shred you into cherry pie in any on-road collision.

and if you're worried about it costing $1000 to fix after backing into someone in the parking lot, the solution is to get your head out of your rear and not back into someone in the parking lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxd27jlZ_g

2009 Malibu: you open the door and get out of the car.
1959 Bel Air: You hope enough of your body is able to look good in your casket.

and don't give me that "better built" nonsense. one of the execs at my company has an unrestored 1961 Lincoln Continental. the build quality and fit & finish is something even the Eastern bloc countries could have done better in the '80s.
It hurt to watch that beautiful car get destroyed. But you are correct, those older cars were death traps. Metal dashboards. Steering columns that turned into spears. Lap belts.....etc. We look back at the good old days with rose colored glasses.

Old 11-22-2017 | 09:26 AM
jz78817
Road Master

Originally Posted by nevada72
It hurt to watch that beautiful car get destroyed. But you are correct, those older cars were death traps. Metal dashboards. Steering columns that turned into spears. Lap belts.....etc. We look back at the good old days with rose colored glasses.
it isn't just that, it's that the structure was not designed for "controlled collapse." if you watch the whole thing, you see that on the '59 Bel Air:

- The A-pillar/front bulkhead just caves in, which makes the driver eat the dashboard and nearly lets the door tear free
- the seat tears free from the floor, making the first one worse
- the frame buckles and fails to prevent the body's structural collapse.

if that had been an actual human driver, that would have been a 0% chance of survival. AFAIK their analysis of the dummy showed that a person would have had his legs and pelvis crushed, along with the rib cage and facial injuries. All of that thicker sheet metal and big chrome bumpers, useless.

if you watch the '09 Malibu:

- the front structure collapses in a controlled manner, and the rapid controlled bending of the front subframe horns dissipates energy (as heat) and softens the crash "impulse" the occupants feel
- the colliding vehicle stops dead at the A-pillar and does not intrude into the Malibu's cabin
- the dashboard barely moves at all.

indeed, I think they said they could still open the driver's door after that test.

so yeah, cars have more plastic and suffer more monetary damage in collisions, but that's because we've collectively decided that it's far more important for the car to be able to sacrifice itself to save the people inside of it instead of accommodating idiots who don't pay attention to what's around them in a parking lot. And I'm fine with that. Screw the car, you can get another one. That's what insurance is for. And the insurers sure would rather write checks for a few thousand dollars to fix or replace a car than to write checks for hundreds of thousands of dollars (or millions in settlements) because people got busted up.

we drive 3 times as many miles every year as we did in 1972, yet we have about half of the fatalities on the road as we did back then. I'd say we're doing something right.

Last edited by jz78817; 11-22-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-22-2017 | 11:45 AM
rdm1465
Tourer
Veteran: Army

Yes, I would and I did.
It will always be a hit and miss with anything new, Heck even old. If you are basing your "NO" thoughts on an issue with the M8's oil issue. That is your prerogative. Look at any forum you choose, be it Honda, Indian, etc. You will find that there are postings about something that are being blown way out of proportion. Just saying.

Be safe out there

Old 11-22-2017 | 12:42 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
and Chevrolet should still be selling the 1957 Bel Air.
'58 Impala would be nice, too.

Old 11-22-2017 | 02:01 PM
smuv1
2nd Gear

I am a previous Dyna rider and have always loved them and FXR's. I'd like to know who the motor company polled to come up with this plan I'm not a fan. I think they just pissed off the Dyna and Softtail riders. And what's with the CRAPPY colors?

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?