General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017 | 07:12 PM
Wardognal 1958
Advanced

Originally Posted by mauijohn
I'm looking to buy a new 2018 Heritage? I was told how the new design was so much better than the 2017! Lighter & better handling? As a new rider, your advice is most welcomed! Thank you!
I have been looking at the Road Kings and Heritages for years. I liked them both but performance keep me from pulling the triger on either one. The M8 and the new suspension was the difference for me. My 2018 heritage 114 arrives next week. I am stoked. I know this bike fits what I want. But I have a clear idea of what I expect from a bike in terms of long rides, handling twisties, that 50’s look, and day riding. A bike has to fit the rider. The 2018 M8 114 Heritage fits what I want in a bike. They are a lot of bikes that handle beteer, but not many HD cruisers handle better..

Old 11-11-2017 | 08:01 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wardognal 1958
The 2018 M8 114 Heritage fits what I want in a bike. They are a lot of bikes that handle beteer, but not ANY HD cruisers handle better..
FTFY.

I test rode a few of the new Softails and the Heritage was the biggest surprise. It's a great bike.

Maui John would be super happy with the 107 I would imagine.

Old 11-12-2017 | 06:25 AM
DaddyFlip
Cruiser

I like some of the 2018s, like the Fat Bob, Heritage, and Fat Boy. In that order. I almost fell out when I saw them the first time in the shop, really nice looking, even blacked out. BUT my Evo Wide Glide does it for me, so I don't need a 2018 AND I can't afford one anyway.

Old 11-12-2017 | 10:16 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by nevada72
I'm not understanding what you wrote. Did you spend $13k in repairs? What issues did you have that made you want out?

Sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been answered. Just curious as to what folks are experiencing. Especially when it's been so bad they wouldn't buy another one.
It was 13k for the bike out the door with all the tax’s and ****.
Riding the bike home the seat was very loose and I thought it would just need re tightened but once home , the main bolt to hold the seat on was gone.
Back to Harley for a replacement.
I rode the bike for the next 500 miles and noticed oil dripping from the bike from the right side all over the metal plate next to the exhaust bracket. I rang Harley and they said to keep an eye on the oil level and they would inspect the issue at its 1k service.
1k service they found a fitting to the oil pump was Cross threaded into the pump body and they didn’t have the parts for the repair so I had to leave the bike there ( No parts for a current model bike ? ).
Week later all they could get was a gasket kit for the bike so they re tapped the already damaged thread in the hole , loctight the fitting back into the oil pump housing and gave it back to me. ( Talk about a half *** fix for a brand new bike ).

And the service departments attitude when I told them that’s a pretty shitty way to repair a brand new bike , they laughed and said that’s in the guidelines of how to make that type of repair.

I called HD and complained ,they made a log of my issues and said they would get the dealer to call me back and re schedule an appointment for the proper repair to be done With the replacement pump housing .... waited about 3 weeks for the dealer to call back, their having trouble getting my parts in ...... 5 months later no reply

Fukem

Wiz 😡

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017 | 10:40 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
It was 13k for the bike out the door with all the tax’s and ****.
Riding the bike home the seat was very loose and I thought it would just need re tightened but once home , the main bolt to hold the seat on was gone.
Back to Harley for a replacement.
I rode the bike for the next 500 miles and noticed oil dripping from the bike from the right side all over the metal plate next to the exhaust bracket. I rang Harley and they said to keep an eye on the oil level and they would inspect the issue at its 1k service.
1k service they found a fitting to the oil pump was Cross threaded into the pump body and they didn’t have the parts for the repair so I had to leave the bike there ( No parts for a current model bike ? ).
Week later all they could get was a gasket kit for the bike so they re tapped the already damaged thread in the hole , loctight the fitting back into the oil pump housing and gave it back to me. ( Talk about a half *** fix for a brand new bike ).

And the service departments attitude when I told them that’s a pretty shitty way to repair a brand new bike , they laughed and said that’s in the guidelines of how to make that type of repair.

I called HD and complained ,they made a log of my issues and said they would get the dealer to call me back and re schedule an appointment for the proper repair to be done With the replacement pump housing .... waited about 3 weeks for the dealer to call back, their having trouble getting my parts in ...... 5 months later no reply

Fukem

Wiz 😡
Yep - that's pretty horrible. I don't blame you.

Old 11-21-2017 | 08:55 PM
Quarterhorse
Stage II

Long time owner here. I think the 2018 line up is not going to be good for HD. Just sayin

Old 11-22-2017 | 01:52 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Quarterhorse
Long time owner here. I think the 2018 line up is not going to be good for HD. Just sayin
Yep Yep couldn’t agree more. I didn’t like the rims on the 16 sporty and the wires were an option for extra $.
The 17’s came out with wires standard so I pulled the trigger on one.

18’s are too blacked out with mids, along with that painted on badge. I’m glad I got what I wanted and not a bit disappointed with my model.

Wiz

Last edited by Wizardofaus; 11-22-2017 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-22-2017 | 05:49 AM
jz78817
Road Master

Originally Posted by Quarterhorse
and Chevrolet should still be selling the 1957 Bel Air.

Old 11-22-2017 | 06:15 AM
Back-n-Black
Club Member

Love the battleship grey CVO.... but the $52k tag is a hard pill to swallow.

Old 11-22-2017 | 06:28 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jz78817
and Chevrolet should still be selling the 1957 Bel Air.
I for one would prefer and older, better built car rather than this plastic crap they market now that costs a $1000 to fix after a 5 mph bump.

Wiz

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?