General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017 | 06:54 PM
ktp1598
Road Captain

I think anyone that buys a Harley knows they aren't buying the newest technology and may encounter an issue later on down the road. No, it's not really acceptable this day and age but you're not buying a Honda. Harley's are different. I swore I'd never spend this kind of money on a bike and would never get a Harley. Even my car doesn't have the best reliability rating but I love driving it. So far no issues with the car or bike. I've not heard anyone with the oil migration problem on a 2018 softail but I'll keep an eye on mine. I'm not sure I've ever owned anything that I've not had to keep an eye on something. It's mechanical and humans built it. Nothing is perfect, even for $20,000.

Old 11-02-2017 | 07:38 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
Maybe you could share with us some of your fine wisdom as to why others have required the moco to replace 3 engines , waiting weeks for spare parts.

Not sure what the problem is but I wouldn’t put it in the hands of the moco engineers to work it out either.

Theres some dud engines out there , people have their rides in shops just for the problems that I speak of, And I feel sorry for them.

Wiz
I am not saying there are not M8 engines out there with oil problems, with its the transfer or the sumping. I am saying there are more out there with out the problems.

Why? HD has crappy quality control and loss tolerances on everything they build. Heck, the 110 is the most troublesome engine they have built in the last 40 years.

Originally Posted by Glenn W
Whether it's ¼ or ¼%, it's too many, and I wouldn't buy an M8 unless the MOCO started giving the same warranty as a KIA
Well, the 110 has much higher trouble rate then the M8. First two years it is warrantied, and if you ride, you will find the troubles in that time.

Originally Posted by nevada72
I agree. I even found the failure rate on certain aspects of the TC to be unacceptably high and purchase the extended warranty.
Dang right.

I had a 50% failure rate on the CVO's with 110 engines I owned. My 09 CVO had lifter failure at 46K miles, fixed under warranty and traded. My 12 CVO had 46K on it when traded, two compensators and a regulator and a hydraulic clutch. My 13 CVO has had no issues, but I built the motor much better at 1500 miles. My 15 CVO had catastrophic lifter failure at 44K miles, engine replaced under factory warranty. Traded before it left the dealer for the 17 CVO Street glide.

Zero issues on the 17 Street glide in 20,526 miles, traded on the 18 CVO Road glide. So far 4468 trouble free miles.

I have more trust in the M8 then the TC110.

Old 11-02-2017 | 09:50 PM
twig
Tourer

Originally Posted by QNman
You can't ride a check... maybe look at a used '16 if you're concerned about the M8 issues?
I was never concerned about the M8's until I came to this M8 forum and started reading all these posts about the problems they were having, as far as I knew it was great new engine with a few oil pump issues but that was it. I don't want a slightly used 16 And I certainly don't want to miss another summer like I just did because I have to wait for HD to fix these issues before it's SAFE to buy a M8. I'll wait a few more months and keep checking here and see what the consensus is on how HD is doing on fixing these problems.

Old 11-02-2017 | 11:00 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ktp1598
I think anyone that buys a Harley knows they aren't buying the newest technology and may encounter an issue later on down the road. No, it's not really acceptable this day and age but you're not buying a Honda. Harley's are different. I swore I'd never spend this kind of money on a bike and would never get a Harley. Even my car doesn't have the best reliability rating but I love driving it. So far no issues with the car or bike. I've not heard anyone with the oil migration problem on a 2018 softail but I'll keep an eye on mine. I'm not sure I've ever owned anything that I've not had to keep an eye on something. It's mechanical and humans built it. Nothing is perfect, even for $20,000.
20k I wish , had my fair share of issues $13,000 after I brought my new bike home just 2 hours old 🙄

Swore id never buy another , but if could have taken the financial hit, I would have dumped this bike 6 months ago

Wiz

Last edited by Wizardofaus; 11-02-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2017 | 07:44 AM
ktp1598
Road Captain

$13,000? Ouch! That'd **** anybody off!

Old 11-03-2017 | 07:53 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
20k I wish , had my fair share of issues $13,000 after I brought my new bike home just 2 hours old 🙄

Swore id never buy another , but if could have taken the financial hit, I would have dumped this bike 6 months ago

Wiz
I'm not understanding what you wrote. Did you spend $13k in repairs? What issues did you have that made you want out?

Sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been answered. Just curious as to what folks are experiencing. Especially when it's been so bad they wouldn't buy another one.

Old 11-03-2017 | 06:30 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by twig
I was never concerned about the M8's until I came to this M8 forum and started reading all these posts about the problems they were having, as far as I knew it was great new engine with a few oil pump issues but that was it. I don't want a slightly used 16 And I certainly don't want to miss another summer like I just did because I have to wait for HD to fix these issues before it's SAFE to buy a M8. I'll wait a few more months and keep checking here and see what the consensus is on how HD is doing on fixing these problems.
Go here for new '16 Touring;

https://hdcolumbia.com/Showroom/Curr...s/Touring/2016

Old 11-03-2017 | 07:29 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

The dealer just got notified that the 18 Fat Bob S is on a truck from the warehouse.

The slow overweight vibrating slug of a 15 Fat Bob is ready to be traded in on the best performing, braking, handling, cornering, accelerating and smoothest H-D ever produced along with being the greatest looking machine on earth.

To top that off there is just released 124 cu.in. kit for it.

Last edited by lh4x4; 11-03-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2017 | 07:49 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

I said "yes" a buncha posts back. Just want to say I'm still happily riding it. It's Friday...see you on the road!

Old 11-04-2017 | 06:23 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by lh4x4
The dealer just got notified that the 18 Fat Bob S is on a truck from the warehouse.

The slow overweight vibrating slug of a 15 Fat Bob is ready to be traded in on the best performing, braking, handling, cornering, accelerating and smoothest H-D ever produced along with being the greatest looking machine on earth.

To top that off there is just released 124 cu.in. kit for it.
You talking the kits from Suburban Harley?

They are nice. Would like to do the pistons for my 117 to 124. Would chose a different cam though.

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?