General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017 | 12:19 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Blackacre
Hopefully it won't be too long. If they are smart they would have planned ahead for a big mid-year release...sometime in February.

Gotta say, this softail business has opened my eyes back to stables like Suzuki and Kawasaki. And man, it sucks to write thst. That ZX14R and 194HP sure feels like it could scratch an itch though...and for only 15K...damn. That's like 120HP more than my bike and I would be ecstatic to just have 120HP.

I love my FXDL but damn...Harley should be chomping at the bit to straight up stomp the guts out of a bike like that. I have always assumed they could do it if they wanted to but...I kind of wonder if they are afraid to compete. After the beating they took this last year from Indian maybe they should think about shutting the doors.
Yeah and I thought that 80hp from a 1200 vtwin out of the box was doable without asking too much from the moco. Even if it’s to just put 4 valve heads on the engine for better breathing.
I totally understand why the moco has to be careful as to retain the chug chug of the motor and that can be done with a little forthought from their engineers.
There’s some good power to be had from the 1200 mill through better design, just don’t know why the moco is lazy about finding it

Wiz

Old 11-02-2017 | 03:02 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
Well after reading of all the sumping issues along with oil transfer problems on 25,000 + bikes. I’d personally look elsewhere. Not saying don’t buy a bike, Just nothing that has an M8 in it.
Spending all that money and then the wait for replacement parts and on the od occasion a new motor is not for me.

I like to sleep well at night after I’ve dropped a good chunk of change like that on a bike

My 2 cents
Wiz
I'm betting less than 1/4 of the M8's have sumping or oil transfer problems. My 17 CVO Street Glide I put 20,526 miles on in 11 months. Zero issues. One of my riding partners put 25xxx on his 17 CVO Street glide trouble free. We are both on 18's now.

My 18 CVO Road glide has 4468 trouble free miles and his 18 CVO street glide has similar trouble fee miles.

I ride with three others that have over 18K trouble free miles on the M8.

Old 11-02-2017 | 03:24 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
I'm betting less than 1/4 of the M8's have sumping or oil transfer problems. My 17 CVO Street Glide I put 20,526 miles on in 11 months. Zero issues. One of my riding partners put 25xxx on his 17 CVO Street glide trouble free. We are both on 18's now.

My 18 CVO Road glide has 4468 trouble free miles and his 18 CVO street glide has similar trouble fee miles.

I ride with three others that have over 18K trouble free miles on the M8.
Maybe you could share with us some of your fine wisdom as to why others have required the moco to replace 3 engines , waiting weeks for spare parts.

Not sure what the problem is but I wouldn’t put it in the hands of the moco engineers to work it out either.

Theres some dud engines out there , people have their rides in shops just for the problems that I speak of, And I feel sorry for them.

Wiz

Old 11-02-2017 | 06:56 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member

Said this before years ago on here, but it would be nice if Harleys brought out a Sportster useing the old style Softail frame for all us old traditional guys, and the new bikes could be left for the progressive people, cos' these new Softails have sure divided opinions like nothing else on this forum.

Old 11-02-2017 | 06:57 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by twig
The title says after seeing the 18's are you going to buy? I've been a member here for some time I don't post often but I do read a lot of posts and reply occasionally. I was in a bike accident and my beautiful 14 StreetGlide was written of leaving me with a cheque but no bike, so there I go looking through the bikes at the dealer not really impressed with the colours for the 18's but there were no more 17's in the colour I wanted. So now I come back to this forum and start reading about all the trouble this new motor has and I should stay clear of them until HD figures this out. Great now what do I do hold off on buying one until the concensus here agree that things are fixed and now is a good time. I know everyone has opinions and some are speaking from experience but is it as bad as this forum protrays it to be. I'm ready to order 18 SG in black Tempest but all this hype is making me wonder if I should hang onto that cheque a little longer.
Get the new bike. There are more M8's out there without issues than with. My only issue has been a switch pack on my trike and it's being fixed under warranty. Engine has been fantastic for well over 5k. Daily ridden weather permitting.

Old 11-02-2017 | 07:15 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

The title says after seeing the 18's are you going to buy? I've been a member here for some time I don't post often but I do read a lot of posts and reply occasionally. I was in a bike accident and my beautiful 14 StreetGlide was written of leaving me with a cheque but no bike, so there I go looking through the bikes at the dealer not really impressed with the colours for the 18's but there were no more 17's in the colour I wanted. So now I come back to this forum and start reading about all the trouble this new motor has and I should stay clear of them until HD figures this out. Great now what do I do hold off on buying one until the concensus here agree that things are fixed and now is a good time. I know everyone has opinions and some are speaking from experience but is it as bad as this forum protrays it to be. I'm ready to order 18 SG in black Tempest but all this hype is making me wonder if I should hang onto that cheque a little longer.

I have no experience with the M8 bikes other than a test ride, which was nice. They perform well. And like you I question the internet frenzy of failures. Is it really that bad?

But I will say this, there has been enough info put out there from people that I respect that I personally would hold off. Even the anecdotal information offered in defense of the M8 put the number at "less than 1/4". If it's even close to that number it would be considered a massive issue.

If I had a check and no bike, I honestly would go buy a 2014-2016 garage queen for $10k less than the M8 version. Same bike essentially, just a different, and proven motor. If warranty is important to you, get a 5 year extended warranty and you'll be totally covered and still money ahead.

I've ridden the M8 as mentioned. It does ride out somewhat better than the outgoing TC version. But honestly, it's not even close to night and day. And in real world riding I have absolutely no problems keeping up with friends on their M8s.

Old 11-02-2017 | 07:29 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by nevada72
I've ridden the M8 as mentioned. It does ride out somewhat better than the outgoing TC version. But honestly, it's not even close to night and day. And in real world riding I have absolutely no problems keeping up with friends on their M8s.

They still have allot of bikes coming out in the next 5 years (I think that was the time frame).
I hope they work all the issues out, get a couple years on the M8 before (or right as) I retire.
So I can pick up a low mile garage queen to park next to my Deluxe for those long trips after I retire.

Last edited by GRWHD; 11-02-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-02-2017 | 09:16 AM
Glenn W
Tourer

Whether it's ¼ or ¼%, it's too many, and I wouldn't buy an M8 unless the MOCO started giving the same warranty as a KIA

Old 11-02-2017 | 09:18 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Glenn W
Whether it's ¼ or ¼%, it's too many, and I wouldn't buy an M8 unless the MOCO started giving the same warranty as a KIA
I agree. I even found the failure rate on certain aspects of the TC to be unacceptably high and purchase the extended warranty.

Old 11-02-2017 | 12:46 PM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

You can't ride a check... maybe look at a used '16 if you're concerned about the M8 issues?

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?