General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017 | 05:50 PM
Quick22
Intermediate

I have been looking at Harleys for about 2 years now. I really liked a few different models but none were perfect for me for one reason or another until I started looking into a low rider. I waited until the 18 line up came out and had no interest in any of them. I ended up getting a 17 fxdls a month ago.

Old 10-14-2017 | 06:14 PM
FunGramps
Banned

Although I can afford one, I'll never buy a new Harley again. I'll keep my carbed Wide Glide until I croak. It's way too much fun! Might go for a garage queen evo as a second though.

Old 10-14-2017 | 11:39 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BTLorys
The people you see in Harley commercials are real bikers.
Spot on sir

Old 10-17-2017 | 07:33 AM
Northernproducer
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Well...I need to change my vote. I had NO plan to buy a 2018 Softail, but wouldn't you know it...a demo ride on a new Heritage Classic changed my mind. I closed the deal last night and pick up the bike today. Those darn demo rides can be costly!

The following 2 users liked this post by Northernproducer:
G'day (10-18-2017), ktp1598 (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017 | 08:57 AM
traffic jam
Road Warrior

I don't feel angry, sad, jealous or whatever.

I love my dyna.

Being a shorter female, I do like the new 2018s. But for me the big problem with the new softail bikes is that because of the one piece frame - I can't lower it. With a 2017 and before, I'd lower the shocks and lower the seat and I was ready to go. You could do that with both the dynas and the softails. Now you can't.

It will be interesting to see how Harley deals with this in the future. I read a review of the new 2018s on the top women rider site. The reviews were great. But the number one comment in the reviews was: If I can't lower it I won't ride it. Three times the editor came back with, yeah but it rides great, once you get going and so on. They came back well, I really need to have my feet flatfooted on the ground - it does make a difference.

So, hopefully Harley will introduce something in the future because there will be a many shorter buyers hanging on to what they have and not buying.

Last edited by traffic jam; 10-17-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-17-2017 | 09:18 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by traffic jam

I love my dyna.

Being a shorter female, I do like the new 2018s. But for me the big problem with the new softail bikes is that because of the one piece frame - I can't lower it. With a 2017 and before, I'd lower the shocks and lower the seat and I was ready to go. You could do that with both the dynas and the softails. Now you can't.

It will be interesting to see how Harley deals with this in the future. I read a review of the new 2018s on the top women rider site. The reviews were great. But the number one comment in the reviews was: If I can't lower it I won't ride it. Three times the editor came back with, yeah but it rides great, once you get going and so on. They came back well, I really need to have my feet flatfooted on the ground - it does make a difference.

So, hopefully Harley will introduce something in the future because there will be a many shorter buyers hanging on to what they have and not buying.
Very interesting point about the frame. I'm wondering if you have actually ridden on at least sat on a new Softail. I have sat on a FatBoy and Breakout in the showroom and in their stock configuration they are already fairy low. Unless one has a very small inseam, touching the ground is easy even without the optional lower seat. Also, since the floorboards and controls have been moved closer to the seat to improve ground clearance, the complaints I have been hearing is that there is less room than in the past. This would indicate that smaller riders would have an easy reach to the controls, at least on models with floorboards.

Old 10-17-2017 | 09:25 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

I love my dyna.

Love my Dyna too.

Torquey makes good points.

Regarding lowering an '18 though, the new frame should only add rigidity under stress in handling. It still has a swing arm. I'd be curious to know what it is about the design the limits lowering other than current shock offerings? I would think Burly and the like will come out with lowering kits. I'm sure it will ride harsher by comparison with less travel, but that's always been the case. What am I missing here?

The primary is wider, which could be an issue too for shorter legs.

Last edited by Thingfish; 10-17-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-17-2017 | 09:54 AM
Northernproducer
Outstanding HDF Member

I love my dyna.

Looks like H-D might have a way to lower the 2018 Softails. A quick check of the P/A catalog turned up a Profile Low Rear Suspension setup: https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...03-54000134--1 You can check to see if they also offer the matching front setup if that would be needed.

The following users liked this post:
Thingfish (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017 | 11:14 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Northernproducer
Looks like H-D might have a way to lower the 2018 Softails. A quick check of the P/A catalog turned up a Profile Low Rear Suspension setup: https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...03-54000134--1 You can check to see if they also offer the matching front setup if that would be needed.
Exactly that - HD already offer a lowered suspension kit. You can bet that the aftermarket companies will be out with their offerings soon enough as well....

Old 10-17-2017 | 02:32 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

I would but aww ****...

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?