General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017 | 11:25 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by Thingfish
After seeing them...no

After riding them...yes.

114 Heritage. Couldn't be happier.
All kidding aside, I think this sums it up, the looks are different, but if it rides and performs "better" it will eventually catch on. I think H-D is still a high quality machine. "Best in its class" is how I would describe it.

After seeing them...no

After riding them...yes.

All kidding aside, ( because I poste dsmowher H-D's are junk, I was stirring the pot, I dont really feel that way )I think this sums it up, the looks are different, but if it rides and performs "better" it will eventually catch on. I think H-D is still a high quality machine. "Best in its class" is how I would describe it.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-17-2017 at 05:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ktp1598 (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017 | 11:57 AM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by ktp1598
Baka1969, love those Sportsters. They can be set up any way you want. Bars, seat, pegs, all of it can be changed and most touring equipment can be added
i agree but, it's time. And the competition is shaming them. Wimpy 36hp 883s gettingslapped around by bolts, shadows, and scouts. Been about 12years since a major upgrade.

Originally Posted by adm
See - that's kind of the issue. The majority of Dyna riders (and I consider myself a Dyna rider still) are still feeling sore about the new improved bikes.
All the hate and rage is sad. I love the new bikes but, refuse to buy new. Somebody out there is going to buy a new bike... not ride it... then sell it to me for 60-70 of what they paid for it. I will laugh to the bank and enjoy the new bike with 1000 miles on it.... then mod it into oblivion.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-17-2017 at 05:10 PM.
ktp1598 (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017 | 02:26 PM
modular
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I was all set to purchase an '18 Fat Bob. Everybody and their brother started buying them. I passed and test rode a left over '17 Street Rod. Now I'm throwing a leg over something most people aren't. My garage seems to consist of the bastard children of the given year H-D line. I like knowing when I ride I won't pass another like I'm riding.

Old 10-13-2017 | 02:48 PM
Geary Thomas
Tourer

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
Not gonna buy, Harley has gotten way out of line with pricing, sucking people into a "lifestyle" choice and the promise of being a "real biker"

Just out of curiosity... what is a "real biker" ??

Old 10-13-2017 | 03:20 PM
BTLorys
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Geary Thomas
The people you see in Harley commercials are real bikers.

Old 10-13-2017 | 03:29 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by Geary Thomas
a figment of the collective's imagination. Real bikers are us.. a hodge podge of folks from all walks of life​​​​​​.

Old 10-13-2017 | 03:37 PM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

After seeing them...no

After riding them...yes.

Please, tell me about your new Heritage. I looked at one real hard today, didn't test ride yet out of caution (LOL). I did get a quote, they offered me a very good price on my 08 Heritage, 105 Anniversary Edition but, they are stuck on MSRP for the 18.

What are the Likes, Dislikes?

Thanks

Old 10-13-2017 | 04:13 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by adm
See - that's kind of the issue. The majority of Dyna riders (and I consider myself a Dyna rider still) are still feeling sore about the new improved bikes. Many have bought Dynas in the last few years and feel HD has left them in the lurch by killing the Dyna. There's a lot of time, money and emotion invested in these bikes. Nobody wants to throw that away.

Those that aren't ready to, or can't afford to jump on a new bike will feel defensive and so there will be a lot of negativity and hate.

Same for the "old" softail crowd. The new Softails are just "better" in almost every way and so they feel left out too.

My personal opinion is that the new bikes beat the Dyna, Softail and Touring platforms in terms of pure technical prowess. Looks are subjective, but there will be more and different variations along soon. Maybe something that suits the current haters.

It's a natural defensive mechanism when faced with change to retreat to what you know and to want things to stay the same. Pure human nature. Shame that's not how the world works.

The real problem is that in the world that we live in today, change is accelerating and is only going to get faster. You can go with it or not - totally your call. Just don't be surprised when it doesn't look like Kansas any more Dorothy.
+1^^^^

I was going to write a post much like this, but you beat me to it.

It's psychological...

In previous years... Nothing really major changed... Essentially the new models were the same as the old. There was no pressure - feeling the need - to buy new and replace what you had. But now there's a whole new sheriff in town. Suddenly what you got in the garage has been instantaneously obsoleted (psychologically). You don't want to admit it to yourself, but deep down inside you feel pressure to upgrade so you too can have the latest and greatest in cool. Bummer though, your last name isn't Rockefeller or Carnegie, so you can't afford the new shiny object. Or you just bought the newly minted (in the mind) antique in the garage last year. So, what do you do...? You go about convincing yourself - and others if you can - that the new toys are inferior.

Another twist on it anyway...

Originally Posted by cvaria
all the hate and rage is sad. I love the new bikes but, refuse to buy new. Somebody out there is going to buy a new bike... Not ride it... Then sell it to me for 60-70 of what they paid for it. I will laugh to the bank and enjoy the new bike with 1000 miles on it.... Then mod it into oblivion.
+1^^^^

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 11-12-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Rakthi (10-15-2017)
Old 10-14-2017 | 10:04 AM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by Pothole914
Please, tell me about your new Heritage. I looked at one real hard today, didn't test ride yet out of caution (LOL). I did get a quote, they offered me a very good price on my 08 Heritage, 105 Anniversary Edition but, they are stuck on MSRP for the 18.

What are the Likes, Dislikes?

Thanks
Better handling
M8 motor
Lockable bags

Dislikes:

Black motor
No sissy bar standard
Denim colors

There are others, but those seem to be the ones I've seen the most.

Old 10-14-2017 | 12:06 PM
jz78817
Road Master

Originally Posted by QNman
Better handling
M8 motor
Lockable bags

Dislikes:

Black motor
No sissy bar standard
Denim colors

There are others, but those seem to be the ones I've seen the most.
see, the blacked-out engine is a selling point for me. I'd even go so far as to get the black exhaust shields.

seems like the way to go if you want a 2018 version of the old Heritage, add bags and a windshield to a Deluxe and you'll be pretty much there.

edit: yes, that'll cost more than a 2017 Heritage, but the '18 Deluxe does have the new motor and full LED lighting package which considering what Hundreds of Dollarson charges for upgrades, makes up a good portion of the difference.

Name:  9e7fJUH.png
Views: 6
Size:  503 Bytes

Last edited by jz78817; 10-14-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?