General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017 | 10:38 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by panheadache
I have to agree.

I specifically remember coming off the Monteagle Grade on I-24 Northbound at 70 mph with a cigar in my mouth and the air bubble behind that screen was so calm it didn't even blow the ash off. Aero was very good - supposedly wind tunnel tested - I dunno, that was the rumor anyway. It got very good mileage also - prob due to lower drag.

I kept it 15 years. Bought it in 1985 at Boswells HD in Nashville for $9800. Sold it to a personal friend in 2000 for $10000 cash. He rode it in our group for many years. Lost track of it lately but I'm sure he still has it and rides it. Nostalgia.
Funny you should mention Boswell's. I saw a bunch of riders earlier in the week with lime green T-shirts that said S.O.B.S., Sons of Boswell. Taking a mountain vacation before the leaf lookers arrive.

Old 10-12-2017 | 01:47 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
I am deeply disgusted by the MOCO after seeing this ****-poor "update" on their frames.

I never wanted a Softail before the 2018s came out, no way would I consider one of those fugly abortions they just came out with. They look like Yamaha tried to make a softail clone. I can't imagine the Dyna guys being happy about them.
The majority of Dyna riders I've spoken to have nothing good to say. Other than the 114 engine, they think it sucks. Having owned an FXRS and an FXDL long ago, I have to agree.

Old 10-12-2017 | 02:19 PM
662894v
Tourer

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
The majority of Dyna riders I've spoken to have nothing good to say. Other than the 114 engine, they think it sucks. Having owned an FXRS and an FXDL long ago, I have to agree.
I rode an 18 114" Fat Bob at the demo
days. Runs great, stops great, it rides smooth, power wherever you want it, the stock seat is real comfortable. It's a great bike. Nearly $20k great? I don't know, if I was going to spend that much I think I'd spend a couple grand more and get a touring bike.
Maybe this is for the "new" Harley rider. But then how many 20 somethings have the $20k to spend on a bike? And if you're looking for performance, why not spend $6k on a sport bike and be done with it. They should have marketed the new bike as something completely different instead using the Dyna names. Maybe monotails? I wish HD well and I hope they haven't made a mistake here.
There were a boatload of Indians at Sturgis. More than I would've imagined. HD is getting their asses handed to them on the racetrack as well. Indian is obviously doing something right and are stepping up their game to compete with HD. I haven't ridden one but sitting on a Chieftain was actually pretty comfortable.

Nothing about the new bikes REALLY grabbed me. Thanks, but I'll keeping my Dyna.

The following users liked this post:
Crmx (10-13-2017)
Old 10-12-2017 | 02:51 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member

I completely understand the intense loyalty, nostalgia, and love involved here, but I still feel that at some point, perhaps even sooner than later, the much beloved Dyna will be considered by most a "Dyna-saur", especially after the rest of the Harley line goes entirely monoshock (like virtually every other motorcycle made on earth with a couple of notable exceptions...)

Old 10-12-2017 | 03:09 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
See - that's kind of the issue. The majority of Dyna riders (and I consider myself a Dyna rider still) are still feeling sore about the new improved bikes. Many have bought Dynas in the last few years and feel HD has left them in the lurch by killing the Dyna. There's a lot of time, money and emotion invested in these bikes. Nobody wants to throw that away.

Those that aren't ready to, or can't afford to jump on a new bike will feel defensive and so there will be a lot of negativity and hate.

Same for the "old" softail crowd. The new Softails are just "better" in almost every way and so they feel left out too.

My personal opinion is that the new bikes beat the Dyna, Softail and Touring platforms in terms of pure technical prowess. Looks are subjective, but there will be more and different variations along soon. Maybe something that suits the current haters.

It's a natural defensive mechanism when faced with change to retreat to what you know and to want things to stay the same. Pure human nature. Shame that's not how the world works.

The real problem is that in the world that we live in today, change is accelerating and is only going to get faster. You can go with it or not - totally your call. Just don't be surprised when it doesn't look like Kansas any more Dorothy.

This chart shows where we as a society are quite well. Not just with motorcycles:

Old 10-12-2017 | 03:46 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by adm
See - that's kind of the issue. The majority of Dyna riders (and I consider myself a Dyna rider still) are still feeling sore about the new improved bikes. Many have bought Dynas in the last few years and feel HD has left them in the lurch by killing the Dyna. There's a lot of time, money and emotion invested in these bikes. Nobody wants to throw that away.

Those that aren't ready to, or can't afford to jump on a new bike will feel defensive and so there will be a lot of negativity and hate.

Same for the "old" softail crowd. The new Softails are just "better" in almost every way and so they feel left out too.

My personal opinion is that the new bikes beat the Dyna, Softail and Touring platforms in terms of pure technical prowess. Looks are subjective, but there will be more and different variations along soon. Maybe something that suits the current haters.

It's a natural defensive mechanism when faced with change to retreat to what you know and to want things to stay the same. Pure human nature. Shame that's not how the world works.

The real problem is that in the world that we live in today, change is accelerating and is only going to get faster. You can go with it or not - totally your call. Just don't be surprised when it doesn't look like Kansas any more Dorothy.

This chart shows where we as a society are quite well. Not just with motorcycles:

I own 06 and 09 softails. Both are great bikes and if they discontinued the Softail name it wouldn't bother me one bit. And as far as the 18's go I love the new Deluxe but I'm happy with what I have so no reason to buy. But if I was in the market I would not hesitate.

Old 10-12-2017 | 03:51 PM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by 662894v
There were a boatload of Indians at Sturgis. More than I would've imagined.
Really?? Where? I saw MAYBE 1 out of 20 bikes, if that.... Hell, I saw more Victory's than Indians.

Old 10-12-2017 | 03:58 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member

I have looked at the '18s and see nothing I'd buy. Besides looking like **** the engine mod restrictions have left me totally turned off. The dealership floors are full of new '16s and '17s as well. Wife and I just finished a 4500 mi trip and from my experience the dealerships are full of bikes and very few shoppers. I think the next year will be real hard on HD.

Old 10-13-2017 | 07:46 AM
ktp1598
Road Captain

Neither of the dealers is louisville are sitting on any 16s. In fact, both stay pretty busy. Must be different in different places.

Old 10-13-2017 | 11:16 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

After seeing them...no

After riding them...yes.

114 Heritage. Couldn't be happier.

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?