General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017 | 07:44 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jz78817

mind-boggling. people will spend thousands more to get AWD on a car instead of $800 on winter tires.

Old 09-23-2017 | 08:18 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

when did all-wheel-drive become a "requirement" for driving through 1" of snow? any car with a set of Blizzaks on it will be better in snow than an AWD Subaru on s**tty all-season tires.
AWD on any tire might help you get going in winter conditions, but it will not help you steer or stop any better. Winter tires will.

mind-boggling. people will spend thousands more to get AWD on a car instead of $800 on winter tires.
I'm guessing that you never spent a winter in Philadelphia? Plus, some cars are better suited for ice and snow than others.

Old 09-23-2017 | 09:09 AM
ghostrunner
Road Master

The touring bikes seem to be the same so glad i bought last year and loving my M8. Little disappointed in MOCO for the slap in the face to the touring line up and putting a 114 in the soft tail lineup and keeping the 107 in the baggers. Guess they figure the soft tails are heavier. Seems should've been the other way around to me. But hay I'm just a biker.

Old 09-23-2017 | 10:51 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

when did all-wheel-drive become a "requirement" for driving through 1" of snow? any car with a set of Blizzaks on it will be better in snow than an AWD Subaru on s**tty all-season tires.
You must live down south where 1" of snow is considered a blizzard and everything shuts down, but up here we're still up and running with a foot of snow. An AWD with traction control and all season tires is most certainly better for cutting through snow and having control of the car. I didn't even have all season tires on my Subaru last winter and I could barely fishtail taking corners even when I tried.

Last edited by JekyllnHyde; 09-23-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-23-2017 | 11:09 AM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member

Subarus are awesome in the snow. Wife has one. It's great until the snow gets really deep. I'll keep my truck. However my wife's subaru does get 35-38 mpg. So I can't complain...

If you're really questioning the usefulness of AWD move up north for awhile.

Old 09-23-2017 | 11:16 AM
bhaxton
Tourer

Nope. I'll keep my 07 for another ten years or so and then look at a newer bike after they've worked all of the kinks out.

The following 2 users liked this post by bhaxton:
LXT (09-24-2017), Northernproducer (10-13-2017)
Old 09-23-2017 | 05:02 PM
jerryt87
Road Master

What is this snow you all speak of?

Old 09-24-2017 | 11:12 AM
Blackacre
Advanced

I watched the dealer show and during the event when they introduced the new frame I was happy to see it. Then they showed the bikes and then the HD web site updated and I checked out the new models.

Honestly, one thing that doesn't make sense is the keeping of the softail name. The only bikes I am really interested in from HD are the Dyna, the RK, the Road Glide Special and the Livewire. I own a FXDL and really love my bike. I just don't see anything in the 2018 lineup that appeals to me because:
1. There is something missing. I admit, I like the breakout and fatboy but both of them don't handle well.
2. The low rider should not have been turned into a softail. It looks like a fat *** middle aged cow.
3. The counterbalanced motor is counter to what I love about Harley's, the rumble. I can get over the sewing machine nature of these bikes..and hope to when the Livewire is released.
4. With all the talk about appealing to a younger generation it just really doesn't make sense to see what they released. None of these bikes are especially fast. It is a shame that the most bad *** motorcycle company on the planet is afraid to produce a fast and superior handling bike that can dominate the race track. Honestly, I would have expectef HD to produce something like the Kawasaki H2R. A supercharger on a bike should be totally in the HD wheelhouse.

anyway, I am not buying another HD this model year unless they come out with something really revolutionary. This m8 and monoshock just isn't it. Frankly, if they don't get to it PDQ they are going to completely lose this 3rd gen HD owner.

Originally Posted by waterfordhunter
I didn't vote because even though there is a good chance of me buying another bike in 2018, I can't say for sure it will be a Harley. Although I really did like the 2018 Heritage I looked at, I am waiting for the new Triumph Speedmaster, based on the Bobber, to be released. I have a hard time justifying spending >$20k on a bike that is no more capable than one costing $12k-$14k. I love Harleys and always have, but the cost of moving up to the bigger bikes makes me take a huge step back and look at other manufacturers, namely Triumph, to see what they have to offer that meets my needs.

Like a lot of people here I was not a fan of HD dropping the Dyna line. At the same time I understand the need for HD to evolve and attract a new generation of riders. Even though HD's market share in the US is about 51%, their sales in the second quarter have dropped by just over 9%. With declining sales and an aging customer base, HD has no choice but to evolve or eventually go the way of the original Indian.
I don't have a lot more to say about this except that I agree with you. It is a serious shame. I love being able to say that I am a 3rd gen HD rider but am not impressed with HD after this. For the money I soend on my bike I can have a lot more out of another stable. I am giving them until the mid-year announcement before I start looking outside to that damned Indian or Triumph set of bikes. SMH

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-01-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-24-2017 | 02:09 PM
ktp1598
Road Captain

Still has a deep rumble, just doesn't shake the **** out of you while riding. Going from two to four valves will make a slight difference in the tone of the exhaust but companies have to do this to make more power out of the same engine displacement while satisfying the government. Everyone bitches about underpowered Harley's, but there's only so much you can do with an engine of this design while keeping it legal. We can make lots of power but emissions goes up and they can't do that. Design is subjective and people will like it or won't, but a lot will warm up to it over time. I've gotten nothing but compliments for my bike from other riders and those who don't ride at all. All instantly know it's a Harley. You can't satisfy everybody.

The following users liked this post:
Tony P (09-25-2017)
Old 09-24-2017 | 05:11 PM
LXT
Road Master

Originally Posted by ghostrunner
The touring bikes seem to be the same so glad i bought last year and loving my M8. Little disappointed in MOCO for the slap in the face to the touring line up and putting a 114 in the soft tail lineup and keeping the 107 in the baggers. Guess they figure the soft tails are heavier. Seems should've been the other way around to me. But hay I'm just a biker.

I think the MOCO is kinda smart - put the 114 in the 18 softails & wait & see if the 114 doesn't go in the touring line in 19 releases, then all the 17`s will be traded up - or perhaps a 117 in the touring line? either way the touring line up will get something to boost sales.

I am not impressed at all with the new Heritage after a test ride this week end, yes it has better turn clearances & seemingly better 1st - 3rd get up & go but that's where it ends.

the fit & finish on the 18`s is terrible - better than others but not up to HD standards IMHO, the sumping/oil pump issue is real & the sales dept acknowledged it (hence the esp warranty offer was really pushed), HD in an attempt to lure in the younger demographic just pushed them away - the only people buying the Heritage seem to be those of us who already own one - the 40`s + group, no 26 - 32 year olds are buying these.

HD - thinks less is more? remove some parts charge more, black it out & charge more...........Hmm powder coat or chrome? price either out & see what costs less - bingo powder coat!!!! so what you get is a blacked out, less parts, uncomfy passenger seat (yes 2 up sucked - wifey said stock seat sucks!) bike that costs a couple grand more - WTH

Well....I have been watching the used market & decided to put money on what I think is a good deal: 2015 Heritage softail, V&H pipes, V&H fp3, all lights upgraded to LED with Daymaker headlight, infinity stereo system & other than that basically a stock bike creating a nice platform to expand - 3600 mile garage queen for $11,500.00

Ill ride a TC for a lot longer rather than pay upwards of 22-25k for a Heritage downgraded bike with new production problems - yep I know every one with an M8 is praising it & the guys with the clacking Indians are praising their bikes too. If you like your M8 great - the only selling points I see are the bigger motor ( not sure its an upgrade with problems), suspension - yet to be proven & floorboard reconfiguration which should of been done years ago & the after market fixed that.

So my opinion & we all have one is that the new softail line up is a blacked out, cheapened, touted light touring model (pahlease - not with those bags), with a monoshock & bigger motor that is quiet - why it purrs with no vibration - its refined......... etc, Ive heard all the adjectives to describe it & heres my adjective: you want refinement buy a lexus, you wanna be stupid & pay for a blacked out powder coated motorcycle that's suppose to drip with chrome that has verifiable engine issues with what was once standard issue items such as a sissy bar & heal toe shifter & what happened to the re vamped seat & stiffened saddle bages that the 15-17 models were praised for? so there I said it - bigger motor = less bike & bigger cost = not so smart purchaser! we should of gotten a better bike for what this thing costs. you`d be better off with a RK or RG....... oh BTW - I got back on my 88 TC that's paid off & still smiled going down the road.

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?