General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017 | 09:30 AM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member

I definately will not be buying one of the new models....I can't afford one !!!...b.

Old 09-06-2017 | 09:54 AM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
We are all concentrating on style issues here. I just finished reading in the oil migration/low tranny oil treads. While maybe a small proportion of M8s, I cannot afford to be in that situation. Maybe it only happens on touring M8s. I am postponing my decision on a '17 and 18 Ultra until i am confident this issue is resolved for all M8 engines. My buddies 17 Road Glide Ultra tranny loses oil and the dealer tells him "There is nothing wrong"? He has had it in twice and they just tell him "Its normal". Maybe this is similar to the Steaming Eagle's, the Rushmore's poor tolerances in the cooling system. A simple fix once identified.

I asked our dealer salesman about it and he had heard nothing. It might be nothing, it might be an issue, it might be easily fixed once what is causing it is known, but when the salesman says he has not heard about it, somebody is either lying or being kept in the dark. I know for a fact that my buddy has spoken to him several times about his issue on his bike. I wonder now if we opened his primary if we would find the missing oil.
Exactly! I am in the same boat as you and have mentioned the same thing in a couple other posts. Why would I buy a bike that I very well could have to deal with a known issue like this? I think the dealers are being kept in the dark and I think the ones that do know will never admit it. You know how bad that would be for the MoCo if everyone thinking about buying a new M8 new about this? I'm not a social media users, but with the internet and social media now a days, I don't know how this isn't known to the world outside of these couple forums... Dealers know about it, because the MoCo is sending parts to some trying to resolve the issue. They even have a die test for it.

Old 09-06-2017 | 09:54 AM
Nirvana
Road Captain

I just finished reading in the oil migration/low tranny oil treads. While maybe a small proportion of M8s, I cannot afford to be in that situation. Maybe it only happens on touring M8s. I am postponing my decision on a '17 and 18 Ultra until i am confident this issue is resolved for all M8 engines. My buddies 17 Road Glide Ultra tranny loses oil and the dealer tells him "There is nothing wrong"? He has had it in twice and they just tell him "Its normal". Maybe this is similar to the Steaming Eagle's, the Rushmore's poor tolerances in the cooling system. A simple fix once identified.

I asked our dealer salesman about it and he had heard nothing. It might be nothing, it might be an issue, it might be easily fixed once what is causing it is known, but when the salesman says he has not heard about it, somebody is either lying or being kept in the dark. I know for a fact that my buddy has spoken to him several times about his issue on his bike. I wonder now if we opened his primary if we would find the missing oil.
This would be my biggest concern in moving from a 103 TC (pre-Rushmore) to the M8.

The following thread from a couple weeks ago was interesting.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...to-2017-a.html
It was not a thorough discussion, but it did make me wonder whether it's best to hold onto what I have until the M8 has a track record, especially at current prices.

Old 09-06-2017 | 10:48 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nirvana
This would be my biggest concern in moving from a 103 TC (pre-Rushmore) to the M8.

The following thread from a couple weeks ago was interesting.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...to-2017-a.html
It was not a thorough discussion, but it did make me wonder whether it's best to hold onto what I have until the M8 has a track record, especially at current prices.
We are planning a two+ month East coast and Maritime ride next summer. I'm putting off the purchase of a new Ultra until spring. I want to see what develops. If we have to we'll ride our current bike. If I am going to lay out nearly $ 30,000 for a new bike on which I will be thousands of miles from home for months, I damn well better trust that these issues are clearly defined and dealt with before I plunk down my money. It took nearly a year for the MOCO to solve the Steaming Eagle issues with the Rushmores. This oil migration seems more critical and seems to vary greatly from bike to bike. It is enough for me to wait and see.

Old 09-06-2017 | 11:31 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

If I am going to lay out nearly $ 30,000 for a new bike.............

Damn........every time I see it written I have to double take. Prices are way out of control. It's mind boggling. Even if the bikes were 100% mechanically perfect I'm out.

Old 09-06-2017 | 01:51 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

We are planning a two+ month East coast and Maritime ride next summer. I'm putting off the purchase of a new Ultra until spring. I want to see what develops. If we have to we'll ride our current bike. If I am going to lay out nearly $ 30,000 for a new bike on which I will be thousands of miles from home for months, I damn well better trust that these issues are clearly defined and dealt with before I plunk down my money. It took nearly a year for the MOCO to solve the Steaming Eagle issues with the Rushmores. This oil migration seems more critical and seems to vary greatly from bike to bike. It is enough for me to wait and see.
Originally Posted by nevada72
Damn........every time I see it written I have to double take. Prices are way out of control. It's mind boggling. Even if the bikes were 100% mechanically perfect I'm out.
The Sportster engine is pretty bulletproof.

Also, the BMW boxer engines seem to be tried and true. Even more reasoning to head that direction.

Old 09-06-2017 | 03:08 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RedNose44
Harley's still have the fit, finish and detail that is lacking on rice. Look at a Japanese cruiser up close and they are cheap looking. I will say though, if I was looking for a cruiser with no bags for solo riding it might be the XDiavel S.
That maybe the case but at these prices harley charges for a bike and their after sales and customer service . This will be the first and last one I buy.

Wiz

Old 09-06-2017 | 03:26 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Default cheap

no fit and finish

Attached Thumbnails After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?-img_1136.jpg  
Old 09-06-2017 | 04:43 PM
WristpinKnock
Cruiser

Well, I will say they look better in person.

I just stopped by my local for a look. (LED headlights still look odd to me but, I suppose they're the wave of the future.) They still have a bunch of "old" Softies and Dynas to get rid of too. They had an '17 and an '18 Fat Bob sitting next to each other and, I gotta say, the '18 looked better. Oh my God, did I just say that!?

Old 09-06-2017 | 05:01 PM
02603SEC
Road Captain

Originally Posted by WristpinKnock
Well, I will say they look better in person.

I just stopped by my local for a look. (LED headlights still look odd to me but, I suppose they're the wave of the future.) They still have a bunch of "old" Softies and Dynas to get rid of too. They had an '17 and an '18 Fat Bob sitting next to each other and, I gotta say, the '18 looked better. Oh my God, did I just say that!?
Yes you did, and you're right.

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?