General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017 | 07:09 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevada72
Again, you continue to miss my point. And again, I don't feel compelled to explain it to you. your mind is clearly made up.

Also, you clearly don't know jackshit about me, the new bikes apparently, or the R1200R. But you go ahead and buy all the softails you want. I'll pass.
Haha...but I do know the difference between a cruiser and a naked standard built on a sport bike platform. Someone can't miss a point if one is not made. Enjoy your BMW R1200R cruiser.

Old 09-04-2017 | 07:27 PM
02603SEC
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 6 gun
For what it's worth In all fairness It isn't just the Dynas that are now Dinosaurs but our twin cam engines, that we could hop up and build fire breathing monsters out of. If you do any thing at all to the M8, your warranty becomes very iffy, your salesman will tell you not to worry about it because the dealership will take care of you, and when you take your new bike in for warranty work, the dealership will tell you "we never said that." Someone told me a built twin cam 107 would out run the snot out of an an M8 107, I don't know if that is true or not, but I am not going to trade my twin cam in on a bike that I cant have fun playing with its engine to gain more passing power.
My TC with a 107 big bore, stage 3 heads, 10.5 to 1 compression and a fueling 594 cam was dynod at 100/112 at the rear wheel. A new 2017 CVO 114 dynod at 89/108. I have not done injectors or a throttle body yet, but I'm sure there is probably a lot of room for improvement in that M8 too. I'll be keeping my 2017 Breakout.

IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by JekyllnHyde
Haha...but I do know the difference between a cruiser and a naked standard built on a sport bike platform. Someone can't miss a point if one is not made. Enjoy your BMW R1200R cruiser.
Give it up. You're in over your head.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (09-05-2017)
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by reddog8145
I bought a new M8 engined 2017 SGS IN April and have done 3000 miles since. It's now developed transmission oil migration so I'm pretty annoyed at the moment as my dealer is going to have to investigate the issue. I have seen the 2018 models and I'm not impressed and given the M8 trans issue which seems to be out there with no fix I think there will be a number of discruntled buyers.
My old Road King was past it's prime so trading to the SGS seemed a good move, that said if I knew then what I know now I would probably not have bought a new Harley. All my last 6 bikes have been Harley's and I have loved them all. However I think the company has lost its way since ***** G retired. I bought my SGS outright so no loan, the question is do I bite the bullet and see where the trans issue goes or do I cut my losses and trade it in for another make. The jury's out at the moment but I must admit I am leaning towards getting rid of the SGS and going for something else. Either way this will be my last Harley. I'm afraid the company has lost me now.
This is exactly what I don't want to happen to me and exactly why I am not buying a new HD. It's been forcing me to look at other manufacturers and it's truly amazing the technology you get in other manufactures at the same price point. The BMW K1600 B and as others have said, the Yamaha Star Venture are both stellar bikes. I honestly do not know what I'm going to do right now, but since winter is just around the corner, I'm not in any hurry to make a decision. I'll keep my built '09 for the foreseeable future.

I honestly do not know how the guys with the M8 Trans Migration issue are keeping their cool. I'd be livid that I paid $25K + on a bike I have to continually check an add/remove fluids. What if you want to go on an actual long tour, you taking extra oil..? That's complete BS the MoCo is selling these bikes with this issue and keeping it hush hush.

Old 09-04-2017 | 07:53 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Give it up. You're in over your head.
Ya, ok. And you're basing this on the fact that I was, ummmm...correct!

Old 09-04-2017 | 07:59 PM
RoK ToniK
Intermediate

I am! I'm picking up my 2018 Breakout 114ci in 2 days and I can't wait!

Old 09-04-2017 | 08:12 PM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 02603SEC
My TC with a 107 big bore, stage 3 heads, 10.5 to 1 compression and a fueling 594 cam was dynod at 100/112 at the rear wheel. A new 2017 CVO 114 dynod at 89/108. I have not done injectors or a throttle body yet, but I'm sure there is probably a lot of room for improvement in that M8 too. I'll be keeping my 2017 Breakout.
Good point you have made about room for improvements on the M8, because I was saying the same thing about my brand new 96 CI back in 07 when the t/c 88 with a 95 big bore kit could tear a stock 96 plumb up. The only different between then and now, is that the EPA has a thumb on top of the Harley Davidson MOCO. I do look forward to seeing the Screamin Eagle Pro Racing Catalog, for 2018.

Old 09-04-2017 | 10:15 PM
02603SEC
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 6 gun
Good point you have made about room for improvements on the M8, because I was saying the same thing about my brand new 96 CI back in 07 when the t/c 88 with a 95 big bore kit could tear a stock 96 plumb up. The only different between then and now, is that the EPA has a thumb on top of the Harley Davidson MOCO. I do look forward to seeing the Screamin Eagle Pro Racing Catalog, for 2018.
Yes the EPA has thrown a wrench in things, That is definitely a swamp that needs some draining. As far as warranty on my bike goes I'll take my chances. Harley's should be loud and fast.

Old 09-05-2017 | 03:15 AM
Crmx
Novice
Default Why I got a HD in the 1st place

Hi, I have been reading this discussion with a lot of interest and thought it might be interesting to share my own experience on this topic. I live in Belgium and have had motorcycles since I got my license when I turned 23. Mostly sports bikes -always 2 cyls- and my last bike was a Voxan Cafe racer. Until recently, I had never owned nor ridden a Harley. In my mid 30s most of my riding buddies switched from sports bikes to cruisers. My buddies went out and got themselves Diavels, Triumph Thunderbird Storm, Triumph Rocket, street glides and Fat Bobs. For me, there were only two options, either the Thunderbird storm or the 2017 model fat bob - I love the muscle car looks. And it took me 2 years of indecisiveness to finally make a choice. If I would have gone for modern technology and power I would have clearly chosen the Thunderbird with its aggressive looks, 156nm and approx 100 HP. But instead I chose the fat bob. Why? Well honestly because Even for someone that doesn't have a Harley experienced background Harley is the original and the rest are copies. For me the 2014 - 2017 Fat Bob oozes heritage and has an undeniable 1979s Dodge Challenger muscle car appearance (something the new FB definitely does not have). The fact that the other bikes were technologically superior wasn't the most important factor. If I hadn't bought my 2017 FB and after seeing the 2018 line up, I am not sure that I would have gone for a Harley. I am not a softail guy, The street bob looks wrong, the low rider just looks way off and the new Fat Bob is a poor attempt to have a go at the Vmax or Diavel. As such the Thunderbird has the same modern technology, a proven engine track record, more power and looks more old timer muscle car. Now I do realize I am not the millenial customer HD might be looking for, but still I was a converted client. With the new line up there would have been no possibility to convert me and I feel the differentiation with bikes like the Thunderbird is smaller than ever before. So small in fact that there is no real reason to not choose a Triumph now. This may only be a side effect and maybe only valid in Europe, but it feels very strange to me for a company like Harley to make itself more equal to the competition, instead of clearly distinguishing itself.

The following 3 users liked this post by Crmx:
MIR-13 (09-06-2017), nevada72 (09-05-2017), WristpinKnock (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017 | 05:11 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member

At 70 I'm to old to be in the market for a new bike, I'll keep what I've got till I give up. However if I was to buy a new bike after 25 years of riding Harleys I'd go back to Triumphs and get what they call their 'Americanised' bobber the one with the apes etc on. Unfortunately I think Harleys are getting further and further away from their roots, of the new ones I quite like the Fatbob, but it looks more like an old Yamaha Vmax than a Harley.

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?