General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017 | 07:52 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I second the Fat boy! Holy crap I fell in love.

Old 08-31-2017 | 09:59 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 02603SEC
This number seemed high enough for the finance manager to bring it up. But this is Westchester county NY, lot of money here, but dealer is close to the Bronx.
Good people at Empire Harley Davidson.

Old 08-31-2017 | 11:29 PM
Sparky357
Road Master

Originally Posted by JekyllnHyde
Good people at Empire Harley Davidson.
Yep they are,bought my bike there. I'm waiting for a major update to the Streetglide.

Old 08-31-2017 | 11:40 PM
dDavid
Tourer

Stopped by the dealership today and picked up my 2018 Limited in Wicked/Twisted.

Old 09-01-2017 | 02:05 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Loek
I bought the Lowrider last week and probably/hopefuly the best price quality motor in the '18 softail range and also in compare to the Dyna Lowrider.....
Congrats and we will need to see some pictures once you got it! Serious lacking in Low Rider pictures/reviews at the moment.

Old 09-01-2017 | 07:16 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Went to the Harley Museum big bash last night and they had a ton of demo bikes out for people to sit on. I honestly don't know what to think about the new bikes. At first I thought....Hmm....okay. This is an evolution of the species. I get it. They basically look like modernized Harleys. I sat on the Low Rider 1st because of all the new bikes, that's the one I like best from the pics. In person, not as much, but still - not bad. It's too small for me. Cheryl laughed at me and said I look like an idiot sitting on it. Great. Next. Sat on the Fat Bob. More laughing. Fat Boy.....more laughing. These new bikes do not fit me!

Apart from that we evaluated the bikes on appearance alone. An old school Harley friend of mine met us and he straight up hates the bikes. He said basically every one of them looked like Yamaha's interpretation of what a Harley is. He pointed out the satin finish on the Fat Boy motor and exhaust. We both agreed it looked like the finish on a Kohler faucet. He also pointed out how the staggered exhaust was so closely blended that it looked like one big, ugly exhaust instead of a cool set of staggered pipes.

The only bike he thought retained any Harley-ness was the Deluxe. Until he saw the turn signals which prompted him to question if Harley bought up all of Victories left over turn signals.

So take his words for what they're worth. He has 6 Harleys, the newest being a (edited) 2017 Road King Special and he says he may be buying Indian next.

I will say that what BAKA has been saying has merit. As the bikes evolve, they become more like the competition (except for Indian). At what point does the competition become a viable alternative for the dyed in the wool Harley owner? It the bikes look and feel like a Kawasaki Vulcan, why not just buy the Vulcan for a lot less money?

It's a tough spot for Harley to be in right now.

Last edited by nevada72; 09-01-2017 at 11:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
baka1969 (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017 | 07:41 AM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Default 2018 hd

They really shook up the bikes looks and should have kept a Dyna in their lineup and dropped some of the Sporters , some riders will love them , we have two HD but if I were buying again a Indian would be a possible replacement at least it still sounds good

Old 09-01-2017 | 08:33 AM
oldmanwayne
Road Captain

With my usual great timing, I bought a 2016 right before m8 introduction. So, no, I will not buy a new 2018. That being said, if I was on the market, I would consider a heritage 114, it looks great in person

Old 09-01-2017 | 09:05 AM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by 02603SEC
This number seemed high enough for the finance manager to bring it up. But this is Westchester county NY, lot of money here, but dealer is close to the Bronx.
I have a friend who's a salesman at a local dealership. He says at times, it feels like he sells the same bike three or four times before someone with good enough credit actually rides it off.

Originally Posted by nevada72
The only bike he thought retained any Harley-ness was the Deluxe. Until he saw the turn signals which prompted him to question if Harley bought up all of Victories left over turn signals.
Dang... so basically, he didn't want looks to change AT ALL; not even the damn turn signals...

No offense to your friend meant, but damn... HD has been eating crap for years about not "innovating" enough. The twin cam has been the main mill since 1999, and the styling on some bikes hasn't changed much since the 70's. Meanwhile, other than the newly designed touring models, HD sales have been in a slump since 2008.

I've owned a Vulcan in my past. I don't think these Harley's are looking anything more like Vulcan's than they did last year, and they sure as hell don't feel like one when you ride them. Tell your friend to go test ride a Vulcan, then actually ride one of the new Softails. Absolutely no comparison.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-01-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2017 | 10:21 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by nevada72
Went to the Harley Museum big bash last night and they had a ton of demo bikes out for people to sit on. I honestly don't know what to think about the new bikes. At first I thought....Hmm....okay. This is an evolution of the species. I get it. They basically look like modernized Harleys. I sat on the Low Rider 1st because of all the new bikes, that's the one I like best from the pics. In person, not as much, but still - not bad. It's too small for me. Cheryl laughed at me and said I look like an idiot sitting on it. Great. Next. Sat on the Fat Bob. More laughing. Fat Boy.....more laughing. These new bikes do not fit me!

Apart from that we evaluated the bikes on appearance alone. An old school Harley friend of mine met us and he straight up hates the bikes. He said basically every one of them looked like Yamaha's interpretation of what a Harley is. He pointed out the satin finish on the Fat Boy motor and exhaust. We both agreed it looked like the finish on a Kohler faucet. He also pointed out how the staggered exhaust was so closely blended that it looked like one big, ugly exhaust instead of a cool set of staggered pipes.

So take his words for what they're worth. He has 6 Harleys, the newest being 2014 and he says he may be buying Indian next.

I will say that what BAKA has been saying has merit. As the bikes evolve, they become more like the competition (except for Indian). At what point does the competition become a viable alternative for the dyed in the wool Harley owner? It the bikes look and feel like a Kawasaki Vulcan, why not just buy the Vulcan for a lot less money?

It's a tough spot for Harley to be in right now.

Although they weren't a market leader, who here remembers Saab? They were unique, quirky, unusual and great cars. When they started to become more mainstream, they lost their uniqueness. Eventually they just disappeared.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (09-01-2017)

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?