General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017 | 04:52 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by JekyllnHyde
I guess it's not important for me to label myself a "Harley guy" and separate myself from all other brands or styles. I love motorcycles, period! When a company comes out with a bike I like it doesn't matter what brand name is on it. Yeah, the new Fat Bob is unique and doesn't have the classic looks of Harley Davidson's of the past, but like it or not, it's a still a Harley and will outperform any bike Harley has ever made. If Yamaha or another company came out with this Fat Bob I'd still want one because a great bike is a great bike regardless of the manufacturer.

People who don't currently like the new HD's will either get used to HD moving forward, producing better, more advanced bikes, or they'll be riding Twin Cams and Evo's for the rest of their riding days. And there's nothing wrong with that if that's what you want. I recommend, though, that people embrace the change and experience the pleasure of riding better engineered bikes that do everything better than the past bikes did.
In order to make their Harley-Davidson a better motorcycle, they took something away from the bikes being inherently "Harley". What they failed to do, in my opinion, was to make a better motorcycle compared to the competition. If you're going to stray from your core, you'd damn well should make a better motorcycle than what's available from other manufacturers. I don't see that. Particularly for the premium pricing they are in.

Old 08-28-2017 | 06:45 PM
JayFan
Advanced

No......terrible colors....and not a fan of the "blacked out" look HD is going for.... I'll stick with my '16 SGS for the time being.....love it!

Old 08-28-2017 | 06:57 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member

I love the new Heritage. It's what a classic HD should look like, it's more of what they did look like, not covered in 1950's add on chrome. And yes, if by some reason I sell my heritage, I would happily buy a new 2018 model.

The Dynas, good riddance, I never liked them, they look much better as a Softail.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bestrafen:
Hammer 1 (08-28-2017), Honey-Badger (08-29-2017), Stretchman (08-29-2017)
Old 08-28-2017 | 10:07 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by baka1969
In order to make their Harley-Davidson a better motorcycle, they took something away from the bikes being inherently "Harley". What they failed to do, in my opinion, was to make a better motorcycle compared to the competition. If you're going to stray from your core, you'd damn well should make a better motorcycle than what's available from other manufacturers. I don't see that. Particularly for the premium pricing they are in.
Their competition is other manufacturers who build V-twin cruisers. We don't know for sure yet how they stack up against the metric and Indian cruisers but I bet that after they're road tested and reviewed some of you will be surprised at how well they do. Prior to the new Softail's Harley stacked up ok against most of their competition so I expect them to surpass many of them with these new and improved bikes.

Someone I know, who has never been keen on Harley's, writes reviews for a motorcycle magazine was raving about the new Fat Bob and will be test riding all the other new Softail's soon. I think HD will gain many new customers with these bikes.

Last edited by JekyllnHyde; 08-28-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2017 | 10:10 PM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Personally, if I were looking for a V-Twin cruiser... I'd be buying (or wishing I had the money for) a new Harley. These are better in every way than a replica. The new Harley's are what the MoCo has needed for a few years now - modern, good handing, truly customizable, HARLEY'S. These are not, in any way, like a Metric other than - they are better in every way, and still a Harley.

Try before you buy. Or - keep your old Harley. That will only keep the values up.

Old 08-28-2017 | 10:22 PM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

After a lot of thinking I can honestly say, no I will not be buying a new Harley (1) I can remember making payments and going to work with out coffee money a lot of days for seven years, and I wont do that to me or my family ever again (2) my 07 Road King Is the perfect color and set up just the way I like it, and when it's gone I'll be through riding all together. However I do plan to buy a used 883 sportster just to fling around town on, but I wont pay very much for it. FWIW I kinda like the softail Slim but I would have to have a Low Rider rear fender on it, cause I hate the bobbed rear fender on anything.

Old 08-28-2017 | 10:45 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by JekyllnHyde
Their competition is other manufacturers who build V-twin cruisers. We don't know for sure yet how they stack up against the metric and Indian cruisers but I bet that after they're road tested and reviewed some of you will be surprised at how well they do. Prior to the new Softail's Harley stacked up ok against most of their competition so I expect them to surpass many of them with these new and improved bikes.

Someone I know, who has never been keen on Harley's, writes reviews for a motorcycle magazine was raving about the new Fat Bob and will be test riding all the other new Softail's soon. I think HD will gain many new customers with these bikes.

Their competition is any manufacturer that makes a motorcycle between $15,000-$30,000. Particularly bikes in the $22,000 range. The Ducati Diavel and XDiavel is a v-twin at about $20,000 that are called power cruisers. Moto Guzzi has v-twin touring bikes under $22,000. BMW has touring bikes from $18k-$30k. Yamaha has its new $24k touring bike.

Like I said, Harley made improvements to their motorcycles, but there is a lot of competition out there that are better than their new offerings.

Old 08-28-2017 | 10:53 PM
PureDeath
Road Warrior

Nope I'm good, bought my last new H-D back in 2015....still smiling with that RGS ��✌️

Old 08-28-2017 | 11:04 PM
HenryT
Road Master

Originally Posted by baka1969
Their competition is any manufacturer that makes a motorcycle between $15,000-$30,000. Particularly bikes in the $22,000 range. The Ducati Diavel and XDiavel is a v-twin at about $20,000 that are called power cruisers. Moto Guzzi has v-twin touring bikes under $22,000. BMW has touring bikes from $18k-$30k. Yamaha has its new $24k touring bike.

Like I said, Harley made improvements to their motorcycles, but there is a lot of competition out there that are better than their new offerings.
Hummm surprised to here no mention of the real competitor...Indian.

Old 08-28-2017 | 11:39 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by HenryT
Hummm surprised to here no mention of the real competitor...Indian.
Fair enough. The Polaris version of Indian is also a competitor. I just think Harley has lost its competitive edge.

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?