General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017 | 07:31 AM
jz78817
Road Master
Default After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Quite possibly. I'm going to probably wait until the spring and see what options they offer and let the aftermarket start building stuff for them (especially seats.)

I'm already thinking about an iron red Street Bob.

Old 08-23-2017 | 07:33 AM
aecs
Road Master
Veteran: Navy

I am cool with the new frame, but I am a sporty guy who is considering a Deluxe or Road king. Well now just a road king. That deluxe model is but ugly. They stole the turn signals from a crotch rocket!!!

Old 08-23-2017 | 07:34 AM
BigBadAllis
Cruiser

I'm not disappointed with design. Just the color options for the CVO Limited are not exciting to me.

Old 08-23-2017 | 07:46 AM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I'm happy with my 2017 SGS but I wouldn't be against buying a 2018 if I hadnt't bought my 2017.

Old 08-23-2017 | 07:53 AM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

If they had a blacked out Limited "S" I'd be in. Come standard with the 114 and I personally like the blacked out look. But the SGS always seems to get the cool designs. "In my opinion"...

Old 08-23-2017 | 07:54 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
I think the last time the faithful were this pissed was when the Evo's were introduced.
Yeah, and what a financial disaster that turned out to be.

The following users liked this post:
petefwa (08-24-2017)
Old 08-23-2017 | 07:56 AM
jbeaton
5th Gear

Seeing how I was stuck between a 2017 Street Bob and a 2017 Softail Slim, I think the 2018s just made my mind up for me.

So ya, I think i will be getting a 2018 SB. Just gotta take those ugly *** dust covers off the fork. Not sure why HD feels the need to try and make all their bikes look sporty. They are tried and true cruisers. Why try to reinvent the wheel?

Old 08-23-2017 | 07:57 AM
Bamaglider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
I am deeply disgusted by the MOCO after seeing this ****-poor "update" on their frames.

I never wanted a Softail before the 2018s came out, no way would I consider one of those fugly abortions they just came out with. They look like Yamaha tried to make a softail clone. I can't imagine the Dyna guys being happy about them.
i have a 17 dyna wide glide and the wide glide was the only bike i was interested in when I went to the dealer nothing else really Intrested me

Old 08-23-2017 | 07:57 AM
knucklehed
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wowser
Good chance I'll buy a 2018. Probably an R1200rs.
****ing burn! I actually test rode one while killing sometime a few months back. BMW nailed it with that one. Looks good, feels good, rides good.

I can't wait until next year's thread revival of how the Millennials killed Harley because none of them are buying the new Softail Hybrid ****

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-19-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-23-2017 | 08:01 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member

Will I buy a new HD, no, but I'm not looking either.

Aesthetically, none of the Dyna gone Softail models interest me. I'm on a Switchback. Paint colors don't wow me, and the focus of moving from chrome to all black doesn't move me. I'll wait to see them in person before definitely saying I don't like the new look, but for right now....can't get there.
Having said that, in regards to the new Softails...
The fork is supposed to have over 5" of travel. Way more than my Switchback. This should drastically improve the front end.
The monoshock has the potential to be much better at dealing with road imperfections and overall handling. The frame is supposed to be lighter and 34% stiffer....very substantial. I would guess these bikes are going to ride well.
Fat Bob - While not my cuppa visually, the new Fat Bob looks like the "performance" option. The new headlight looks very Japanese / Mad Max, but looks like it's effective for it's purpose of putting light out. I really don't know if I like it or not visually. I DO NOT like the exhaust. Give me chrome or black, but not something that looks unfinished. And, outside of Vivid Black, no gloss colors. Not everyone is into matte.
Low Rider - WTF did they do to this bike? The 2014(?) - 2017 are aesthetically beautiful and muscular, now they look to be the flagship for the rainbow crowd. No dual disc brakes and beautiful rims? Something has definitely been lost in the translation. Sigh....
Street Bob - Not bad, but far from wow. I like the riser mounted digital gauge. Cornering clearing has been reduced. Overall, meh....

I think they missed the mark on the Dyna to Softail transition visually, but the future holds much potential for new models (Sport Glide!!!!!). For now, not that I really wanted to anyway, but I have zero motivation to sell my bike for any new HD offering.

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?