General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017 | 07:11 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member

Right on!!!

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Just ordered a vivid black Fat Bob. The most awesome color ever. Oh and the bike too.

You negative whiners just go back to your tin lizzies and live contently in the past.

After taking the 18 Street Bob out for the day. Not a demo ride the staff said just bring it back, and over 61 years of riding 70 bikes of all different makes, I found the new 18's to be superior over the models that it replaces and the others that I had including Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Norton and 22 various Hondas including the VTX 1800 and Rune. Only the Norton was as good at cornering and handling as the monoshock H-D.

World class handling, tracking, braking, fit, finish and performance. The 118 ft lb 114 may not beat a sport bike but it is fast enough to get your kicks.

ABS is standard on the 114 version. It is lighter than the bikes it replaces and with the monoshock it centralizes some of the mass while the 35% stiffer frame makes the bike track superbly

Old 08-26-2017 | 08:14 PM
pld578
Advanced

Just ordered a vivid black Fat Bob. The most awesome color ever. Oh and the bike too.

You negative whiners just go back to your tin lizzies and live contently in the past.

After taking the 18 Street Bob out for the day. Not a demo ride the staff said just bring it back, and over 61 years of riding 70 bikes of all different makes, I found the new 18's to be superior over the models that it replaces and the others that I had including Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Norton and 22 various Hondas including the VTX 1800 and Rune. Only the Norton was as good at cornering and handling as the monoshock H-D.

World class handling, tracking, braking, fit, finish and performance. The 118 ft lb 114 may not beat a sport bike but it is fast enough to get your kicks.

ABS is standard on the 114 version. It is lighter than the bikes it replaces and with the monoshock it centralizes some of the mass while the 35% stiffer frame makes the bike track superbly
Finally someone with something intelligent to say about the new models.

Old 08-26-2017 | 08:18 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

Sounds like a happy camper...! Awesome... Post a pic when you get it... And by the way... right on with the color... :-)

Old 08-26-2017 | 09:00 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior

my 2016 SGS with a stage 1 runs good for me and our 2017 UTG does fine as well there are no 2018 in the future for us and I don't consider either one a tin lizzy

Old 08-26-2017 | 09:28 PM
MiniWolf

I did test ride a Fat Bob and a Heritage today. Local dealer had a car-bike show event at the dealer and a few of the new bikes were available for test rides. The funny thing is, they actually had to roll out the bikes to the entrance because nobody was going in and everyone was hanging outside looking at the show entries..They had a Fat Boy, Heritage, and Fat Bob and were pretty much walking around trying to get people to test ride. I didn't really hear a lot of negative comments. Only real gripe was the headlight on the new Fat Boy.

I rode the fat bob and heritage. Basically it was on a five-mile test loop that involved only a small stretch of highway. I couldn't really get comfortable on either bike. If I were to get the heritage, the seat would have to go and I would need to at least adjust the bars a bit forward. I made a point of sitting on a 2017 heritage on the showroom floor after to compare and the new bike definitely has a different ergo. More scrunched-up feeling. I have demoed a heritage before but its been a while so hard to really compare. But the seating is definitely more compact-feeling on the new bike. The Heritage and the Fat Bob had the 114. Pretty much what you would expect over the 107--noticeable bump in torque, especially on launch or getting up to passing speed. Not earth-shattering but noticeable. If I were getting one I would probably save the money and just stick with the 107 but I never did go all-out so have no idea how the top end will handle on each for these bikes. Handling is pretty sporty on both bikes and the bike sits higher than the older heritage. Fat Bob foot controls now slightly forward as opposed to the forward controls on the old one. The bars were too low and I was leaning forward like on a Suzuki Bandit or CB1100. Didn't care for the ergos on this one either. But it definitely was the sportiest-handling. I think the bike would appeal to someone who does a lot more aggressive-type riding especially on twisty roads. It's just not my cup of tea.

The following 4 users liked this post by MiniWolf:
cvaria (08-27-2017), Honey-Badger (08-26-2017), nevada72 (08-26-2017), the blob (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017 | 01:54 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member

I went and saw them in person today. Few notes no more heel shifter on the heritage. I hate this idea as I frequently use mine. But I get it for the sportier style.

I can now get over the look where the oil tank used to be. It's not as bad as in pictures.
​​​The heritage bags are tiny. I can't get over the headlights on any of the models. Even the more rounded heritage lights. They just look hideous and out of place....
​​​​

Old 08-27-2017 | 05:45 PM
RG RON
Cruiser

Was at a dealer yesterday and was people watching, anyhow one guy took a test ride on a used streetglide, year unknown to me, then came back ,then roadtested a new bike, when he got back and parked the bike , he walked by me so I asked if it was sold? He replied he actually liked the used one better, then walked on. Don't know if the price scared him or he wasn't impressed with the bike. I didn't ask for further info as it's not my business.

Old 08-27-2017 | 06:08 PM
XL1200C_0112
Cruiser

Stopped by the dealer the other day to look at the new bikes. Fit and finish seems very high, maybe with the money thy saved from developing one frame they put some of that into fit and finish. Excellent bikes. That said I didn't purchase a 2018 and put a deposit on a 2017 Low Rider. Never been a soft tail fan. When I'm in the market for a softail these new ones are pretty nice though. Prob would go with the slim as it's more tradional in its style. Fat boy is really nice but the headlamp looks a little funny to me.

Last edited by XL1200C_0112; 08-27-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-27-2017 | 06:40 PM
G'day
Cruiser

Does anyone recall Chris Bangle? He became a new design chief for BMW and started producing fuggly BMWs. Customers made websites to remove him from the design role. A few years later, people just got use to the new design and suddenly made the older BMW looked much older. I guess bold vision can pay off sometimes. Let's see how we feel in couple of years. Either the new look Softail becomes an old news and people are buying them OR we are still upset by this direction HD has taken.

Last edited by G'day; 08-28-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2017 | 06:55 PM
XL1200C_0112
Cruiser

Originally Posted by G'day
Does anyone recall Chris Bangle? He became a new design chief for BMW and started producing fuggly BMWs. Customers made websites to remove him from the design role. A few years later, people just got use to the new design and suddenly made the older Harley looked much older. I guess bold vision can pay off sometimes. Let's see how we feel in couple of years. Either the new look Softail becomes an old news and people are buying them OR we are still upset by this direction HD has taken.
I hated the Bangle design. Ugly times for BMW. New models look great though!

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?