General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017 | 12:23 PM
JB Johnson
Cruiser

I would buy a leftover 2017 Heritage, been stalking them. But the 2018 Heritage, no way can get a Boulevard C-90 much cheaper and the 2018 Heritage kind of looks like a Boulevard..

Old 08-26-2017 | 02:24 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JB Johnson
I would buy a leftover 2017 Heritage, been stalking them. But the 2018 Heritage, no way can get a Boulevard C-90 much cheaper and the 2018 Heritage kind of looks like a Boulevard..
You can get a metric cheaper than a Harley? You don't say?

Old 08-26-2017 | 04:02 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

Stopped by Demo Days here at the local dealer. I didn't take anything for a ride because I'm not looking to buy a new bike and I if I did I'd only be looking at the Limited. (It was also raining on/off) I took a '17 for a ride last year and the '18s are no different besides paint. I checked out what they had there. Nothing moved me... I did go inside to see what they had though as well... I can say this, they had an entire showroom of '17s they need to unload. I was checking out the denim black/denim gray '17 Limited. $30,200.00??? (MSRP + freight, setup, and accessories) WTF seriously... They had the dark grey CVO '18 Limited. $43K... YIKES... IDK.... I think I'll be hanging onto my paid off '09 for some time to come. It isn't just bikes now a days, seems everything is getting so &%^&^% expensive... But as far as the '18s went (non touring)... I guess I'd say, I neither really like or hate them. They are what they are... I guess sales will tell the truth of the direction chosen.

Last edited by jamala00; 08-26-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2017 | 04:14 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jamala00
Stopped by Demo Days here at the local dealer. I didn't take anything for a ride because I'm not looking to buy a new bike and I if I did I'd only be looking at the Limited. (It was also raining on/off) I took a '17 for a ride last year and the '18s are no different besides paint. I checked out what they had there. Nothing moved me... I did go inside to see what they had though as well... I can say this, they had an entire showroom of '17s they need to unload. I was checking out the denim black/denim gray '17 Limited. $30,200.00??? (MSRP + freight, setup, and accessories) WTF seriously... They had the dark grey CVO '18 Limited. $43K... YIKES... IDK.... I think I'll be hanging onto my paid off '09 for some time to come. It isn't just bikes now a days, seems everything is getting so &%^&^% expensive... But as far as the '18s went... I guess I'd say, I neither really like or hate them. They are what they are... I guess sales will tell the truth of the direction chosen.
$43k...? Pass.

Old 08-26-2017 | 05:33 PM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by DM426
Stopped by the local dealership yesterday to take a look at the 18's, but the truck got delayed so there was nothing to see.

Just based on what I've seen and read on the Internet, it's a mixed bag.

The headlight and fat tires on the Fatboy are welcome changes, but some of the other design decisions are puzzling to say the least. Harley went to the trouble to update everything else, then ended up building a $20k cruiser with no cruise control and single disk front brakes. Just why? On the plus side, the bike is one of the better looking new offerings.

The Fat Bob is interesting, but that front headlight is going to be polarizing for sure. They're clearly trying to make it more Ducati-like in style. And yet it's ironic Ducati just built its first belt-driven cruiser while Harley just switched to a chain on the Fat Bob. They also significantly raised the price, which puts the Fat Bob at roughly the same price point as the XDiavel. But while the Fat Bob lacks cruise control and is gimped with a 3.6 gallon fuel tank, the XDiavel has cruise, Brembo monoblock 50 brakes, riding modes, adjustable traction control, Bluetooth support, and 160hp. The new Fat Bob has potential, but it's still way lacking in features and is horridly overpriced for what you get. And what will this new version of the M8 engine even sound like? In order to make it sound something like a Harley, buyers will apparently be forced to go outside the dealership to get a decent exhaust, voiding the engine warranty in the process.

The Breakout may handle better (I'd like to read more from Breakout owners who've test ridden the 18 model), but it took a step back in the looks department. The digital indicator on the handlebar looks as if it will make changing bars a lot more difficult. And the headlight is fugly.

There isn't really anything good to say about the looks of either the new Low Rider or Street Bob. In fact, with the exception of the mini apes they almost look like the same bike now. The Low Rider S looked aggressive and was a step toward a mean looking café bike. Sadly, that was killed off in favor of the new Low Rider, which looks completely milquetoast.

It seems clear Harley had to move in this general direction in order to stay relevant, and most of us get that. And yet it appears this will be a fairly painful transition as the Moco gets some of the new features sorted out and refines the aesthetics some more. Right now, a lot of these bikes look like they're only 70 percent of the way through the design process.
The Fat Bob is NOT a chain drive.

The following users liked this post:
ChrisHo (08-27-2017)
Old 08-26-2017 | 06:05 PM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by QNman
I haven't seen it yet, so I was going off what a couple people here wrote.

It makes more sense to keep it belt driven.

Old 08-26-2017 | 06:22 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by DM426
I haven't seen it yet, so I was going off what a couple people here wrote.

It makes more sense to keep it belt driven.
belt drive, chain is in the primary

Old 08-26-2017 | 06:27 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Spy11
If you must have a dyna, there are still new models available, 10's of thousands of nice used ones around, or better, get yourself a shovel, the original dyna and a real Harley.
In no way, shape, nor form was the Shovelhead ever a Dyna, with a frame design essentially unchanged since its 1958 introduction.

The Dyna was a compromise design, developed to mimic the look of those old 4-spd FX/FL frames, but rubber mounted.

Otherwise, I'm with you on snag a used one if yer just dead set on a Dyna. I love my '02 & will never part with it, but I appreciate for what it is & accept what it isn't.

I dig the hell out of the new chassis & think it's a great move on the Moco's part- better ride/handling & retro look. I mean, everyone's always hollering about tradition vs. tech. Love the blacked out look of the new Heritage & that Fatbob tickles the hell outta my inner hooligan.

Old 08-26-2017 | 06:58 PM
freebaggin
Tourer

Originally Posted by QNman
No it isnt, I was just at my local dealer to check it out. They wernt allowing anymore test rides, they only have one and they said it was getting way too many miles on it and it wasn't received as a factory demo it's supposed to be sold as new. I'm too check back in about a month for the demo truck.

My brother owns a 13 , 103 and I have plenty of miles on it. I didn't ride but the sales guy held the front so I could get both feet up. The Dyna forwards are much further forward than the new softglide version, the tank and position of my body was much tighter, not uncomfortable but considerably less room, the bike feels smaller than the Dyna, it's just a smaller lighter type bike than the Dyna. I bet it hauls a$$ tho, it just has a racey feel to it. Guys it's definitely not a Dyna, the Dyna is done. I will be keeping my 15 FXDB for a long time, if I want a fast bike I'll just throw another Busa in my garage. Times are a changing and HD is still building cool mother f'n bikes in my opinion.
Here's some pics...

The following users liked this post:
Rakthi (08-26-2017)
Old 08-26-2017 | 07:07 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

Just ordered a vivid black Fat Bob. The most awesome color ever. Oh and the bike too.

You negative whiners just go back to your tin lizzies and live contently in the past.

After taking the 18 Street Bob out for the day. Not a demo ride the staff said just bring it back, and over 61 years of riding 70 bikes of all different makes, I found the new 18's to be superior over the models that it replaces and the others that I had including Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Norton and 22 various Hondas including the VTX 1800 and Rune. Only the Norton was as good at cornering and handling as the monoshock H-D.

World class handling, tracking, braking, fit, finish and performance. The 118 ft lb 114 may not beat a sport bike but it is fast enough to get your kicks.

ABS is standard on the 114 version. It is lighter than the bikes it replaces and with the monoshock it centralizes some of the mass while the 35% stiffer frame makes the bike track superbly

The following 3 users liked this post by lh4x4:
G'day (08-27-2017), Honey-Badger (08-26-2017), Rakthi (08-26-2017)

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?