General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017 | 06:05 AM
mcgee10
Tourer

For many of us now garage queens are what we are looking for. My last garage queen was a 2010 FXSTC with 4500 miles on it. Looked showroom new. The guy told me he only bought it so he could tell his buddies he own a HD.
The new bikes better appeal to the younger guys because they gag me. I'm thinking HD is putting the future into the hands of those that want cheap, no chrome,black on black. That black on black looks great on my truck or the jeep but not on my motorcycle.

The following users liked this post:
Cowboy Rob (08-26-2017)
Old 08-26-2017 | 06:55 AM
wide glider
Road Master

Wow...just wow! Did Polaris buy Harley too???
Guess we'll be seeing an 8-Ball version of this mess coming soon to lower the cost when none of this **** sells. If there's an upside to this disgusting 2018 lineup, it appears as if the design engineers let go from Victory have all found work again....

The following 2 users liked this post by wide glider:
Cowboy Rob (08-26-2017), tpitman (08-26-2017)
Old 08-26-2017 | 08:56 AM
Hammer 1
Advanced

My 2018 road glide will be here in 3 weeks. I always hated the looks of that bike and never rode one until yesterday. Its funny how something can put a smile on your face and totally change your opinion. I wanted a Street Glide for years and still love that bike but the ugly girl that is great in the sack is coming home with me.

Old 08-26-2017 | 10:15 AM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member

The 2018 Heritage is growing on me... throw some apes on it nd thrash!

Old 08-26-2017 | 10:37 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Do the current lot of Harley-Davidson motorcycles do or have anything better than what the competition offers today?

Old 08-26-2017 | 10:42 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I say this every year when the new models come out. They have left me behind, I can't get into the new models or the new looks.

Every time I walk into a dealership I think of Hank, Jr. Song where he talks about GM turning the Caddilac into a spaceship. That's how I feel.

Old 08-26-2017 | 10:47 AM
Loek
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Loek
I am very new in the Harley scene therefore I'll will and cannot give any comment for the past and present. We need to go on with changes and we are all happy not to que anymore at a phone booth and having internet to communicate among a lot more exiting new features these days.

For me I wanted to buy a Lowrider and 'on paper' the price/quality has improved imho where beauty or ugliness is in the eye of the beholder with respect for al the comments of everybody else. Still Harley is far from average and it is not easy to make everybody happy including investors. Hopefully there will be more exiting news to come for the coming months for the those who are now somewhat disappointed.

So yes I am going to buy a Lowrider

My new Lowrider should be delivered here in two weeks ( Europe) and counting the days....

Old 08-26-2017 | 11:42 AM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Stopped by the local dealership yesterday to take a look at the 18's, but the truck got delayed so there was nothing to see.

Just based on what I've seen and read on the Internet, it's a mixed bag.

The headlight and fat tires on the Fatboy are welcome changes, but some of the other design decisions are puzzling to say the least. Harley went to the trouble to update everything else, then ended up building a $20k cruiser with no cruise control and single disk front brakes. Just why? On the plus side, the bike is one of the better looking new offerings.

The Fat Bob is interesting, but that front headlight is going to be polarizing for sure. They're clearly trying to make it more Ducati-like in style. And yet it's ironic Ducati just built its first belt-driven cruiser while Harley just switched to a chain on the Fat Bob. They also significantly raised the price, which puts the Fat Bob at roughly the same price point as the XDiavel. But while the Fat Bob lacks cruise control and is gimped with a 3.6 gallon fuel tank, the XDiavel has cruise, Brembo monoblock 50 brakes, riding modes, adjustable traction control, Bluetooth support, and 160hp. The new Fat Bob has potential, but it's still way lacking in features and is horridly overpriced for what you get. And what will this new version of the M8 engine even sound like? In order to make it sound something like a Harley, buyers will apparently be forced to go outside the dealership to get a decent exhaust, voiding the engine warranty in the process.

The Breakout may handle better (I'd like to read more from Breakout owners who've test ridden the 18 model), but it took a step back in the looks department. The digital indicator on the handlebar looks as if it will make changing bars a lot more difficult. And the headlight is fugly.

There isn't really anything good to say about the looks of either the new Low Rider or Street Bob. In fact, with the exception of the mini apes they almost look like the same bike now. The Low Rider S looked aggressive and was a step toward a mean looking café bike. Sadly, that was killed off in favor of the new Low Rider, which looks completely milquetoast.

It seems clear Harley had to move in this general direction in order to stay relevant, and most of us get that. And yet it appears this will be a fairly painful transition as the Moco gets some of the new features sorted out and refines the aesthetics some more. Right now, a lot of these bikes look like they're only 70 percent of the way through the design process.

Last edited by DM426; 08-26-2017 at 12:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dr.Midnight (08-26-2017)
Old 08-26-2017 | 11:58 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

I do like the retro graphics of the Low Rider.

But single disk and no cruise? WTF??

Old 08-26-2017 | 12:18 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member

No, not any time soon (well, if I won the lottery tomorrow maybe). I don't care about anti-lock brakes, alarm systems, key-fobs (God help you if you lose one - a regular key is expensive enough!), throttle by wire and other electronic gizmos on my scoot. I am probably in the minority but you can't even buy a basic motorcycle anymore today.

That's sad.

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?