General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017 | 06:52 AM
benscratchin
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Those who are happy with their current bikes are upside down in their loans.

Those who are trading up with less than 3 year old bikes don't care if they are upside down in their loans, as long as they get financed life's great.

The 18's are ok? But Id never finance one. The price of a new Harley (and new cars to be fair) is getting out of control. Sometimes I wonder if finance company's are the driving force behind price increases.
Nope, not finance company's, it's called inflation. That's what happens when the Fed's keep printing more and more money. BTW my 2012 SG is paid for, I'm happy with it, ain't buying a new one anytime soon.

Old 08-25-2017 | 07:03 AM
skinny79
Cruiser

I'm starting to dig the new looks.

But Fat Boys and Heritage Classics priced the same as a Road King?

They must be trying to clear out the touring frames they have in inventory.

Old 08-25-2017 | 07:04 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member

New - never. I'll score some rub's low mileage garage candy for cheap if they are proved to be decent bikes.

Old 08-25-2017 | 07:07 AM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

Those who are trading up with less than 3 year old bikes don't care if they are upside down in their loans, as long as they get financed life's great.

The 18's are ok? But Id never finance one. The price of a new Harley (and new cars to be fair) is getting out of control. Sometimes I wonder if finance company's are the driving force behind price increases.
LOL Your post has to be sarcastic right?? I mean come-on... you can't honestly believe what you typed. I paid cash for my bike in '09 bran new. Still am happy as the day I brought it home... I could pay cash for an '18 as well. But they are not worth the cost of the upgrade over the mods already done to mine.

The following users liked this post:
benscratchin (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017 | 07:14 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member

Nope. I cant stand the way Softails handle, never want to buy or even ride another one. Now that harley has stopped making a conventional rear shock light weight(by harley standards) big twin there is not one bike they build that intrests me. I'll just have to keep my evo until it can no longer be rebuild and repaired.

Old 08-25-2017 | 08:09 AM
kwkride
Cruiser
Veteran: Air Force

After riding the new Breakout and Fat Bob last night, I am very surprised by these bikes. I think they are a good step in the right direction for the future of Harley. They don't ride anything like a previous Softails. I think that those folks who are looking for the classic Harley look and feel may not like them. But those folks who are looking for a better motorcycle will love them.

The following users liked this post:
lh4x4 (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017 | 08:53 AM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by G'day
One of two things are going to happen (IMHO).

Either MoCo executives have recognised that touring range of bikes are still purchased by older, traditional crowd and decided to leave it alone with traditional styling.

OR

2018.5 or 2019 model year may bring 'new design' to the touring range as well.

I think the introduction of Road King Special to test the water first in 2017.5... followed by 2018 Street Glide and Road Glide getting blacked out treatment seem to signal the start of that change to me but it all comes down to sales over the next year, I would assume.

Good thing about Harley is that any components can be changed straight out of Harley's massive Parts & Accessories catalogue. Don't like Fatboy headlight, can be changed. For decades, Harley feared this back lash from the loyal, long time Harley customers and refrained from changing the appearance.

Harley seeing drop in sales year after year, had to make a difficult call. Keep doing what they have done for another 20 years and there will be no one left to buy a Harley OR start targeting younger crowd and develop the next generation of riders. Young guys/gals don't want to rider 'old man' bikes.

Some of us may not like the steps Harley has taken but it was necessary if MoCo wants to celebrate 150th Anniversary.

I also suspect many more changes are in the pipeline. Remember, 100 new bikes in 10 years. 2018 launched 8 new Softail. There are many more surprises ahead. Including the production of Livewire electronic bikes.

We have enjoyed decades of dormant status. World has moved on. Harley is trying to catch up.

One last thing... one day in the next few years, we will realise that these new 'contemporary' designed headlights don't look all that bad. We just need a little time to get use to them. 😎
Well said.

Old 08-25-2017 | 09:01 AM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
Nope. I cant stand the way Softails handle, never want to buy or even ride another one. Now that harley has stopped making a conventional rear shock light weight(by harley standards) big twin there is not one bike they build that intrests me. I'll just have to keep my evo until it can no longer be rebuild and repaired.
You realize these Softails are reported to handle far better than the older ones? In addition, you realize the new Softails are both lighter AND stiffer than the Dyna's it replaces, right?

My biggest gripe with killing the Dyna is they killed to "affordable big twin". But as far as engineering and design go, I suspect this is a homerun; but only sales will decide that.

Old 08-25-2017 | 09:14 AM
tpitman
Cruiser

You can get a nice, low-mileage Harley on Craigslist without a second mortgage on the house. I picked up my '09 Low Rider for $8300 two years ago. Had just shy of 2500 miles on it. Ridden by a woman who was about my age (mid-60's) and who probably weighed 125 soaking wet. It was spotless. I was looking for a Low Rider or Wide Glide, and this was a great deal. Came with the Harley windshield, Python exhaust, and Kuryakin forward controls. Her husband told me they probably had close to $20K in it.
Looking on Craigslist lately, what then seemed like the deal of a lifetime 2 years ago are pretty common. Bikes with under 10K miles, adult owned, in the $7K to $11K range.

Old 08-25-2017 | 09:36 AM
MiniWolf

Went to see a few of the bikes last night in-person. Dealer just got their inventory in yesterday and were email bombing everyone to come and check them out. My opinion on looks changed somewhat after seeing the bikes in person --for the good and for the bad.

The new Heritage doesn't look as crazy as I thought it would based on the photos. There is a difference with seeing it in person. To me, it is the best looking of the bunch. The breakout and street bob, however, just don't do it for me with that small 3 gallon tank. Looks like something doesn't belong. Some people will like it but my opinion is they destroyed the lines of the bike with that tank and I can't get past the digital speedo on the handlebar clamp. Fat Bob looks like a Ducatti. And almost all of the paint jobs were these toned down matte colors and lots of darked out trim everywhere. There was a street glide in matte blue with half a harley wing painted on one side of the fairing. Everyone was having one of those WTF moments.

Just looks though. I am sure the new bikes ride much better than past versions.

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?