General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017 | 10:07 PM
HenryT
Road Master

I think the Fat Bob is pretty cool looking.

Old 08-25-2017 | 12:26 AM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

If I was going to buy a brand new Harley I would buy the softail slim and put a Low Rider Rear Finder on it but it would have to be vivid black, so no painting would be involved.

Old 08-25-2017 | 12:57 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member

Those who are happy with their current bikes are upside down in their loans.

Those who are trading up with less than 3 year old bikes don't care if they are upside down in their loans, as long as they get financed life's great.

The 18's are ok? But Id never finance one. The price of a new Harley (and new cars to be fair) is getting out of control. Sometimes I wonder if finance company's are the driving force behind price increases.

Old 08-25-2017 | 01:43 AM
Timbo64
Tourer

Originally Posted by rhino1250
The gunship grey is awesome
THAT color with the blacked-out parts looks fantastic.
However, it'll be pretty hard for cagers to see on a rainy, misty interstate.
Those lights better be bright and those pipes better be loud!!
This color combination just blends in with the pavement.

Old 08-25-2017 | 04:13 AM
jz78817
Road Master

Originally Posted by Nirvana
I see this differently. I feel that HD has departed considerably from their traditional look, especially over the past several years.

I got back into riding in 2011 and purchased a 2011 Road King Classic because I loved the timeless look of that model in particular. You can still get close to that Road King look today, but you do have to swap out some parts. Quite some time ago someone on this forum posted the following picture. The bike on the left is a 1969 Electra Glide while the bike on the right is a late 90's Road King I believe. I don't think HD is really selling bikes "in the image" of the '57 Bel Air any longer. I think Indian has a more traditional styling compared to the recent HD's.

Family Photo
but it's only "timeless" if you're over 50.

Old 08-25-2017 | 05:17 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member

I did not vote because I did not see an option that really fit for me personally. After seeing the 18s I am not buying one but its not because of how they look, its only because I bought a 17 6 months ago. So basically not matter what they released in 18 I was not a buyer this year.
That said the FatBob I have seen pics of does not excite me, I saw a Fatboy at the dealership yesterday and I would not mind hoping on it for a ride. My ride of choice now is the RGU which went unchanged, not a fan of the blacked out RGS for 18.

Old 08-25-2017 | 05:33 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Firewoman
I know this Dyna girl is unthrilled.
My apologies for not mentioning the Dyna girls as well.

The poll is running close to what I'm running across outside the forum as well. For every person that likes them, I find 2 or 3 that don't. I stopped by the local dealer last night, didn't see any new bikes but that was the hot topic and they weren't getting any love at all there.

Only time will tell if this was a good move but every time they make a bonehead move they blame poor sales on the economy and never the ****-poor designs that precede the poor sales. JMHO

Old 08-25-2017 | 06:11 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle G.

That said, I'm disappointed that the heel shifter now has to be purchased separately for $80. This in addition to a $1500 price increase over the '17 Classic. Also, I don't mind the black wheels, forks and trim, but I'm so tired of blacked out motors. Harley obviously spent a lot of time and effort styling the new motor, then they hide it by painting it black. WTF? I'd like to see the motor in natural cast aluminum, so we can SEE it.
It am just shocked its priced the same as the Road King. However the bonus is you can get a 114 factory in Heritage and you cannot in the Road King

Old 08-25-2017 | 06:27 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Those who are happy with their current bikes are upside down in their loans.

Those who are trading up with less than 3 year old bikes don't care if they are upside down in their loans, as long as they get financed life's great.

The 18's are ok? But Id never finance one. The price of a new Harley (and new cars to be fair) is getting out of control. Sometimes I wonder if finance company's are the driving force behind price increases.
Not necessarily so. My bike has been paid off for 24 years, and I'm still happy with it. Sometimes I just wish it was "new" again.

I won't finance a "toy", so I have to take a long, hard look at my financial situation to see if a new bike is in the near future. The whole "MSRP+ whatever we can add on top of it" won't fly with me.

Old 08-25-2017 | 06:44 AM
Uboofer
Cruiser

The first pics of the FatBob and its red and goldish look made think they collaborated with Marvel comics on a Iron Man bike. The bike is hideous in my opinion.

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?