General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After seeing the 2018 Models are you now planning on buying one?
Yes, I like what I see
36.41%
No, I don't like any of the new models
63.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017 | 07:37 PM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member

Perhaps the web pages are not done, but is ABS no longer an option for this series?

Old 08-24-2017 | 07:37 PM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by G'day
One of two things are going to happen (IMHO).

Good thing about Harley is that any components can be changed straight out of Harley's massive Parts & Accessories catalogue. Don't like Fatboy headlight, can be changed. For decades, Harley feared this back lash from the loyal, long time Harley customers and refrained from changing the appearance.

��
Not sure if I want to spend $20K+ for a bike and then have to spend another $5K to buy parts to make it look like the bike I really wanted. Would rather just buy the bike I wanted.

Harley's massive Parts & Accessories catalogue = overpriced trinkets.

Then again, that may be the strategy. Who knows. Make the bike look so plain and uninspiring that the people who want one will buy it and then raid the accessory catalog to make it look acceptable to their real tastes.

Old 08-24-2017 | 07:49 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member

Why did they make the tank smaller on the street bob? 3.5 gallons now? Gtfo.

It looks likes the bastard child of an Indian scout

Edit: and the rear tire is thinner. Bah

Last edited by kngpn; 08-24-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-24-2017 | 08:05 PM
JPS_Lotus98T
Cruiser

As a millennial, I will not touch any of the new Softails.

Love my Dyna Wide Glide, and bought it specifically because it had the classic Harley look I grew up with as a kid. If I didn't buy that bike, I wouldn't even buy a Harley.

Congrats HD, you lost me for good as a customer by killing off the Dyna line as they were the most enjoyable HD's I rode. Hate Softails and not into touring bikes.

Will be keeping the WG always. I have started looking for another bike to go with the WG, but since HD showed how out of touch they are by going in the direction they are going in, I will be going metric. Would have loved if HD bothered to come out with a real sport cruiser or sport bike since Ducati already beat them at their game with the Diavel. Nope, more garbage being shoveled out. Will be buying Japanese from here on out.

The following users liked this post:
FLSSBart (08-25-2017)
Old 08-24-2017 | 08:06 PM
benscratchin
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLSSBart
After watching the 2018 Dealer Show, I've been seeing alot of basically negative comments from existing owners. Made me curious how many people after seeing what is coming out for 2018 are planning on buying a 2018 model?
Not me. I'm happy with my 2012 SG.

Old 08-24-2017 | 08:14 PM
G'day
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ChrisHo
Perhaps the web pages are not done, but is ABS no longer an option for this series?
ABS is available, I believe. Also on 114ci models, ABS are standard.

Old 08-24-2017 | 08:54 PM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

Hell's bells I don't know any more, the more I think about it the more I don't care if a bike has exposed shocks or not. It will be that much less to polish and or clean, and If the back tire will stay right there with you on a razor sharp curve what difference does it make. In a few years when Harley puts a mono shock on the touring bikes, "to answer the Polaris Indian Motorcycle," again as long as the back tire stays right there with you in a razor sharp curve, who gives a hoot what the heck it looks like. After all Harley has to recapture the Indian Motorcycles. people

Old 08-24-2017 | 08:56 PM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
I am deeply disgusted by the MOCO after seeing this ****-poor "update" on their frames.

I never wanted a Softail before the 2018s came out, no way would I consider one of those fugly abortions they just came out with. They look like Yamaha tried to make a softail clone. I can't imagine the Dyna guys being happy about them.

I know this Dyna girl is unthrilled.

Tufel (08-25-2017)
Old 08-24-2017 | 09:49 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

With the exception of the ugly swingarm that looks more like the swingarm on a rigid 45" Harley than the big twin, and the rather lackluster bags, the Heritage Classic is definitely growing on me. The blacked out look is a refreshing departure from past models, and the bike looks a lot like a vintage police bike. I'm excited about the M8 motor and the better suspension.

That said, I'm disappointed that the heel shifter now has to be purchased separately for $80. This in addition to a $1500 price increase over the '17 Classic. Also, I don't mind the black wheels, forks and trim, but I'm so tired of blacked out motors. Harley obviously spent a lot of time and effort styling the new motor, then they hide it by painting it black. WTF? I'd like to see the motor in natural cast aluminum, so we can SEE it.

I'm also disappointed in the exhaust configuration. I'd rather have seen a low 2 into 1 setup or a crossover system with a muffler on each side, so there'd be more clearance to run other bags. As it is, the muffler for the rear cylinder looks dangerously close to the stock bag. With EPA restrictions limiting changes to the exhaust system, this becomes more of an issue than it would have been in past years.

There needs to be a third category in your poll: like the changes but happy with what I have and/or lack the money (or other financial priorities). Uncle G. needs to look to buying a house in the next year, so a new Harley will probably have to wait a while.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 08-24-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2017 | 09:57 PM
BellTired
Intermediate

Well, as an ole' fart that has been on HD since 1975, I have to laugh at all the negative talk......after owning a Panhead-Sporty-(2)Shovelheads I bought a 1984 FXRS...OMG>everyone HATED it...bought a Twincam 1999...more crap talking....I have to laugh(again)>>>>>YES, I will be buying a 2018 model......good hunting boys !!

G'day (08-25-2017)

Quick Reply: After seeing the 2018 line-up, Are you going to buy?